Windows 10: Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use

Discus and support Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Remember Windows 10 Setup Script? I reviewed the PowerShell script in August 2020; it was designed to be run right after the installation of Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 27, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use

Remember Windows 10 Setup Script? I reviewed the PowerShell script in August 2020; it was designed to be run right after the installation of Windows 10 on a device to adjust more than 250 different settings and features. One of the main issues back then was that everything, meaning code and switches, was integrated into a single script.

Since it was advised to go through the script before running it to customize it to make sure that features that you wanted to use remained enabled, it was problematic as you'd have to identify the switches that did that and ignore the surrounding code.

The developer of the script has renamed Windows 10 Setup Script to Sophia Script. More interesting than the new name is the fact that it is now easier to use as the switches or presets have moved to a new script.

Take a look at the screenshot below; the new preset script lists descriptions for each option and the actual function only, but no code. All you have to do is put a comment symbol in front of any preset that you don't want executed by the script, and remove the comment symbol if it is already in place. Not all functions are executed by default, and it is definitely necessary to go through the list once to customize the functionality accordingly.

Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use sophia-script-windows-10-setup.png

While that still means that you have to go through the list of presets before you run the script, it is easier now and less confusing, especially to users who don't use PowerShell or inexperienced when it comes to scripting or coding languages.

To get started, download the latest version of the script from the project's GitHub website. Extract the archive on the local system, and edit the preset file in a text editor or editor that supports PowerShell.

You may run the script then once you have saved it, e.g. by copying it to the new Windows 10 machine right after installation. To do so, open an elevated PowerShell window, change the Execution policy for PowerShell scripts for the current session by running Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process -Force, and then run the script by executing .\Preset.ps1.

The developer published a video on YouTube that shows the script in action:

The script supports Windows 10 version 1903 to 2004 (Home, Pro, Enterprise), and Windows 10 version 1809 (Enterprise) currently.

Now You: do you modify newly installed operating systems? Which tools do you use for that, if any? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 27, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 27, 2020
  3. Windows Script Host

Hi Vito,

System file corruption is one of the possible reasons why you are receiving script host errors in Windows 10. To better assist you, we need the answers to the following questions:

• Are you receiving the error while working on a specific task?
    • Did you make any changes on your computer prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest that you create a new user account and see if the issue will occur while on a different user profile. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings
      > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.

• Type a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use

change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use

1. Windows 10 Setup Script has a new name and is now easier to use - Similar Threads - Setup Script has

2. Users now has a new name listed - can I delete it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users now has a new name listed - can I delete it: I've been having a few issues with my account on Windows 11. I have one account that I set up to be Local. When I go to my C drive and look at Users there is a new account and it's called something different. But it's a name that is part of my email log in address. The...
  3. Users now has a new name listed - can I delete it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users now has a new name listed - can I delete it: I've been having a few issues with my account on Windows 11. I have one account that I set up to be Local. When I go to my C drive and look at Users there is a new account and it's called something different. But it's a name that is part of my email log in address. The...
  4. Downloading Windows 10 updates got easier with new MCT script

in Windows 10 News
    Downloading Windows 10 updates got easier with new MCT script: Upgrading Windows 10 to new feature updates via Windows Update is not always simple as your PC could be prevented from downloading the updates. Windows Update is not always the most reliable way to download and install Windows 10 updates. For feature updates, Microsoft says...
  5. Powershell script -- new computer name with duplicated name in Active Directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell script -- new computer name with duplicated name in Active Directory: Dear folks, Anyone knows what's the powershell script for check if it's duplicate computer name in Active Directory after give a new computer name for a desktop or laptop? Thanks. Nick...
  6. Windows 10 use setup script http://127.0.0.1:86/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 use setup script http://127.0.0.1:86/: [ATTACH] as you can see the problem here is I cant remove this or turn it off I can but it would turn on again I checked all internet for a solution but nothing fixed it for me I even did the registry thing when you put the value to 0 on proxy settings and even deleted...
  7. Using multiple profiles is now easier with Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Using multiple profiles is now easier with Microsoft Edge: Our customers tell us that they like to keep their browsing data separate as they take on various roles in their lives. For people at home working from their own devices, this is particularly important. Microsoft Edge’s “Profiles” feature...
  8. scripting printer setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    scripting printer setup: I am trying to use powershell to set the default papersize on student laptops, because it is time-consuming to go through the GUI on so many computers. The standard command would be Set-PrintConfiguration -PrinterName "School printer" -PaperSize A4 This appears to run...
  9. Can I Use "Classic Shell" Menu Setup to Make Things Easier?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I Use "Classic Shell" Menu Setup to Make Things Easier?: New Dell Laptop, W10 Not crazy about this setup, is that classic shell thingy considered a better way to go? I'm as basic and non-techie as one gets, need basic easy-to-use and understand stuff, always seem to have troubles. This is 3rd comp W10 past year, poorly...
  10. Setup Script to automate custom settings for Windows 10 on new System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setup Script to automate custom settings for Windows 10 on new System: If anyone has a favorite "package" i am trying to recreate the ones i used to use for Windows 7, 8 etc. Windows 10 does not have all the same registry keys or in some cases they are in different places, need different values, or do not even exist. These are all the simple...