Windows 10: Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates"

Discus and support Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I am updating my Windows 8.1 PC to Windows 10. I am stuck on the "Getting Updates" page at 14% for 6 hours. Can someone help me? And yes,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OneRebertt, May 31, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates"

Hello

I am updating my Windows 8.1 PC to Windows 10.

I am stuck on the "Getting Updates" page at 14% for 6 hours.

Can someone help me?

And yes, I restared Windows 10 Setup four times, still stops at 14%

PC Info:

Version: 6.3.9600

Build 9600

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

System Model: Surface Pro 3

System Type: x64-based PC

System SKU: Surface_Pro_3

Processor: IntelR CoreTM i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 3.10.0250, 8/28/2014
    SMBIOS Version: 2.8
    Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "6.3.9600.17196"

:)

OneRebertt, May 31, 2020

2. Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting updates"

Hi!

Today i try to upgrade my Windows 10 from Windows 7.

The problem is that upgrading stuck at "Getting Update"s for 30 min.

I though that was a problem with setup so i stop it and clear a folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

and try to use a "MediaCreationToolx64". Everything was fine, after waiting couple of minutes i go for next step but after this one again i got message that Windows 10 Setup is checking for updates...

I hear that in MediaCreationTool installation is without updates, and i watch lots of videos at YouTube where nobody have this step after using MediaCreationTool. I'm still waiting next 20 minutes on this step.

This is my second Windows upgrade, but i havent problem like this before.

Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates" 6524c9ca-9e6f-421f-9496-55f8f98909dc.png

Kamil Kalita, May 31, 2020
  3. Windows 10 download stuck on, 'Getting Setup files'

Based on what AlteaC wrote, he was still in the 'Windows Update' window on a previous version of windows at the time of his inquiry. The loading bar continues to scroll and the only message is "getting setup files".

It's difficult to know if it's stuck when it gives you nothing to go off of. a good question that would likely close this specific thread is this:

How long should the "getting setup files" step in the 'Windows Update' window take given network speed 'X' and windows configuration 'Y'?

This would give us a baseline - a point at which to say, "yes, it's stuck... it must not be progressing". At which point we would move on to troubleshooting.

-------------------

it's been on this step for me for about 2 hours with no sign of change or progress but I don't want to stop it for fear that it's working and I would have to start the process over.

I'm running a fresh installed Windows 8 (reformatted just before beginning the update). I have a middle-of-the-road Intel I7 processor, a decent solid state drive, and a download speed of around 8Mbps.

I'll check back in if I see any progress.

Hunter Christ, May 31, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates"

Windows 10 Setup Stuck on "Getting Ready"

How long did you wait to determine it is non-responsive?

• Check to ensure there is disk activity (look at the hard disk LED light to confirm. If there is, keep waiting. If setup goes beyond 2 to 3 hours, try the following steps.
    • Power down the computer. Unplug it, then wait 10 seconds
    • If you are using a laptop, remove the battery if the option is available.
    • Disconnect it from the Internet (unplug Ethernet and/or turn off Wi-Fi).
    • Plug it again, ensure it remains disconnected from the Internet then start computer.
    • See if it completes setup.
    • If setup completes and you see the desktop with the ability to click Start and launch programs, proceed to reconnect to the Internet.
    • Update drivers: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates"

1. Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates" - Similar Threads - Setup stuck Getting

2. Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%: I tried to reinstall my laptop using Windows 10 Pro ISO, it was a success until it got to check the updates. The setup is stuck at 2% for hours. Any solution please,...
  3. Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%: I tried to reinstall my laptop using Windows 10 Pro ISO, it was a success until it got to check the updates. The setup is stuck at 2% for hours. Any solution please,...
  4. Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen: When setting up Windows 11, I keep getting stuck on the Getting updates screen. After a while, it says that the installation has failed. It always gets stuck at 46% before the failure message....
  5. Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen

Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen: When setting up Windows 11, I keep getting stuck on the Getting updates screen. After a while, it says that the installation has failed. It always gets stuck at 46% before the failure message....
  6. Windows 10 setup stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 setup stuck: So a couple of months ago i got windows 11 and was having some issues with it so I decided to go back to windows 10. The installing and setup went well until it got stuck at this screen. It has been on this screen for 24 hours and it won’t Progress any further. Also the...
  7. Windows 10 setup stuck

Windows 10 setup stuck: So a couple of months ago i got windows 11 and was having some issues with it so I decided to go back to windows 10. The installing and setup went well until it got stuck at this screen. It has been on this screen for 24 hours and it won’t Progress any further. Also the...
  8. Windows 10 setup stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows 10 Setup stuck

Windows 10 Setup stuck: Why does the Windows 10 setup get stuck at the magic number of 46% in checking for updates? I see here online that this has been a problem for many since 2015! Why does Microsoft insult its customers by not fixing this in a timely manner? Also why no hint on what the...
  10. Windows 10 setup stuck at “Getting Updates” and also stuck at 46 percent

Windows 10 setup stuck at “Getting Updates” and also stuck at 46 percent: So i have a Lenovo G575..its an old computer..and im surprised i was able to get Windows 8.1 on it..even though i was stuck in Windows 7 Home Premium Edition(i think) it wasnt i bad software, i loved it a lot, i just thought it would be time for a change.. so i decided to...