Windows 10: Windows 10 showing the wrong file size

Discus and support Windows 10 showing the wrong file size in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem by some files same as something that explain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ehsanreisi, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10 showing the wrong file size

ehsanreisi, Mar 16, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 16, 2020
  3. wvbirdman Win User
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size

I think the issue is solved. The problem of File Explorer Properties showing greatly reduced folder size was present in my Documents folder and my two most used folders under Documents. Looking at the TLPD results I noticed that along with the 17,000 results from the folders "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and "C:\Users\[me]\AppData", there were about 4 results from each of these two most used folders. I went to those files in the first folder and shortened the names to well below 255 characters. Then File Explorer Properties showed the correct folder size (that is to say the same size as Tree Size Free shows), but Documents folder size was still wrong. Then I went to the second of these two folders and carefully did the same fix. Now File Explorer Properties folder size is correct for this folder and is correct for Documents.

Documents and both of these folders are present in my Quick access. Before this fix, I noticed that if I checked folder size in File Explorer, I got the wrong size whether I used the left pane under Quick access, or the right pane; but if I hovered over the folder in question in the right pane, the pop-up showed the correct size. I don't know if either of these are pertinent to the original problem.

Strangely, the wrong folder size problem never appeared in the two folders for which TLPD returned 99% of it's results: "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and "C:\Users\[me]\AppData". File Explorer Properties and Tree Size Free always agreed.

So I guess that if you want your File Explorer Properties to work correctly, you must run TLPD occasionally and rename any long file names under Documents; or carefully avoid long names.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem or an easier fix would be appreciated.

Thanks for everybody's help.

wvbirdman, Mar 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10 showing the wrong file size

Win10 pro 1803 update shows wrong folder sizes

Windows 10 pro 1803 update shows totally wrong folder sizes. same problem is reported by other users here. Same problem is posted here by other users too, as early as May 2018. I wonder what has been done about it by Microsoft.

The problem is two fold

1. If you select a folder directly from left pane of the file explorer by right clicking it, it shows totally wrong total size.

2. If you left click the folder in the left pane to see listing of subfolders and files in it - in the right pane, and then select everything in the right pane by control +A and then right clicking it to see total size of all folders and filess, the folder
    that is just underneath the cursor is selected and shown at the top of the box that opens to show the total size. Here too it shows wrong size information. I wonder why windows selects name of the folder underneath the cursor to show at top of the box even
    when you select all folders.

I hope Microsoft will take care of this on urgent basis and not sleep over it.

I have been using Windows since windows 3.11. Every time there is a upgrade, some old problems disappear and totally new ones crop up in the most unexpected places.

PLEASE HELP. thanks

FeelFeline, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 showing the wrong file size

1. Windows 10 showing the wrong file size - Similar Threads - showing wrong file

2. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  3. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  4. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage Drive shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage Drive shows wrong size: Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have a storage drive consiting of 2 x 4 tb drives in a spanned array.Should show 7.2 tb but only shows 3.64 tb. any way to fix this please 180414
  6. SSD showing wrong size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD showing wrong size in Windows 10: [ATTACH] I built my first computer all by myself. Everything is running great and smoothly. At first, I tried running Linux, then Windows. After several installations for testing purpose, I saw at my surprise that the SSD size is smaller for Windows that it should be. It's...
  7. Wrong file size displayed

Wrong file size displayed: [ATTACH] I am getting this in my F drive. I updated windows, scanned it using Windows Defender Offline scan but still it's appearing like this. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-file-size-displayed/7d4b0e10-4611-4f3b-a497-abdc51e4c306"
  8. File Explorer shows wrong folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size: Recently I noticed that in File Explorer when I right click on a folder and click Properties, the folder size is sometimes shown much smaller than the correct size. For example, in File Explorer, Documents shows as 30 MB (repeat 30 MB), while in Tree Size Free the correct...
  9. Windows 10 showing the wrong file size in version 10.0.17135

Windows 10 showing the wrong file size in version 10.0.17135: I have copied some jpegs from an andriod device to windows 10 Each jpeg is showing a size of 32 GB but a size on disk of 4kb, which is obviously incorrect. This is now stopping me from copying the files anywhere else as the disk space check fails. Tree size shows is showing...
  10. Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option: hi, i am having problem with the properties option. i am using windows 10 and just encountered a problem. i was checking the size of one of my folder (in terms of checking how much space it occupies on hard drive). i got some figure around 60.04 GB. just to cross verify i...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com

2. wrong file size