Windows 10: Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start.

Discus and support Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have updated my Windows 10 Today. Now, My windows 10 is always showing "update and shutdown" and "update and restart" in power menu. When you select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GauravChopra1, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start.

I have updated my Windows 10 Today. Now, My windows 10 is always showing "update and shutdown" and "update and restart" in power menu. When you select any of them, windows would restart or shutdown much slower, but no updates would be installed. When system is on again, those two buttons are still there.. Any solutions?

:)

GauravChopra1, Oct 23, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1

The key: don't restart. It has to run continuous until a) it shows it found the updates or b) the power button changed to say "update and shutdown." If the latter, just do it because the Windows Update screen you're looking at won't change. If the former, proceed as normal. If it doesn't reach that point, it has to start over from the beginning after the computer turns on.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 23, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start.

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start.

1. Windows 10 Showing "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in Start. - Similar Threads - Showing Update Shutdown

2. Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update restart vs. shutdown: Every week or so, Microsoft wants me to update my Surface book 3 with the latest windows update. Fine, i get that. What i do not understand is it can somehow only install on a restart. When i click start , power, it shows 'update and restart', but not update and shutdown...
  3. Windows update - shutdown rather than restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update - shutdown rather than restart?: (Yet another) windows update query. I don't mind it restarting after an update, completely understand the need to keep it updated, but I'm wondering if there's any way to configure windows update to auto restart to apply the updates, then shutdown the machine completely...
  4. Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ?

Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ?: Hi with Windows 1903 when an update needed a restart to apply, in the power button menu, i had only the choice "Update &restart" or "Shutdown & restart" wich was perfect because users cannot bypass the udpates installation with 20H2 now user have the option listed so the...
  5. Restarting but showing as update and shutdown

Restarting but showing as update and shutdown: Hello, everytime i click on update and shutdown, it is updating and restarting automatically. Can anyone explain why it is restarting everytime?...
  6. Windows 10 shutdown, restart, update errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 shutdown, restart, update errors: My system is facing many problems. It wont shutdown. Instead it restarts evenafter trying all the solutions from customer support. If given restart it didn't restart and get stuck at the start screen brand name and I have to again press the power button to switch off and on...
  7. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!: Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least. I know there was talks about requesting the update and...
  8. Windows 10 windows updates wont show install updates and shutdown/restart

Windows 10 windows updates wont show install updates and shutdown/restart: Windows 10 windows updates wont show install updates and shutdown/restart Versions: 1803, 1809, 1903 I get updates from wsus Some time ago this function worked fine until now. Please help...
  9. Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart: Hi, Title sums up tje situation very well. Using Windows 10 on a desktop. When an update becomes available, upon shutting down my PC I get the option to either: 1- UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN 2- UPDATE AND RESTART 3- Can’t remember what the third one is but I never saw a use to...
  10. Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart

Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart: Hi, Title sums up tje situation very well. Using Windows 10 on a desktop. When an update becomes available, upon shutting down my PC I get the option to either: 1- UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN 2- UPDATE AND RESTART 3- Can’t remember what the third one is but I never saw a use to...