Windows 10: Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist

Discus and support Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. A week ago i made a new install of windows 10 using a usb pen with windows installation media. Since that installation i have an icon saying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Zuzas, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Zuzas Win User

Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist

Hello.

A week ago i made a new install of windows 10 using a usb pen with windows installation media.

Since that installation i have an icon saying that i can safely remove hardware and eject media. Problem is that there is no physical drive connected. If i click this icon, it shows nothing.

On my devices list i have this non existent USB storage device installed when the only USB ports i have in use right now are for mouse and keyboard.

This would not normally be a problem but windows 10 is recognizing my printer hp laserjet 1018 as an unspecified device and i believe these two issues are connected.

I have tried uninstalling this drive and disable it but with no success. Every time i boot Windows it will install it again.

Any suggestion to solve this problem will be appreciated.

:)

Zuzas, Feb 13, 2019

2. VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop.

My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash drive.

My Western Digital ssd (My Passport Ultra) is listed in "Removable devices", but fails to mount, giving this error:

Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist [​IMG]

In the Virtual Machine settings, the USB controller is using usb 2.0.

The WD ssd is compatible with usb 3.0 and 2.0, and is supported by Windows XP. My desktop computer running Win XP has no problem mounting the drive.

The device manager in virtual Win XP shows it as an "unknown device."

I've read everything I can find on the problem, and tried a number of suggestions from the knowledge base at VMware as well as solutions via google searches.

Perhaps the WD ssd just won't work on the free version of VM Workstation Player (v. 14).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul Bacon, Feb 13, 2019
  3. USB Mass Storage device is an older USB device and moight not work with USB 3.0

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down

Click Hardware and Devices

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click the USB Mass Storage Device in the list

Click Uninstall

Restart then check if its detected and working.

Other things you can try:

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Pavan_N Win User

All USB storage devices have code 39 error

Hi Ilya,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get same error codes in the Device manager too?
    • Does this issue occurs in other hardware components like keyboard and mouse?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Do you get same error when you connect your extenal hard drive to a different computer running Windows 10?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to check in Device Manager and check if you get the same error code. If yes follow link and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested under
    Code 39

Error codes in Device Manager in Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310123#bookmark-39

Do let us know if the same code 39 shows under all USB storage devices. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 showing USB storage device that does not exist - Similar Threads - showing USB storage

2. Application does not exist but takes storage and shows in settings app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application does not exist but takes storage and shows in settings app: So I recently downloaded Riot Client to play League but realized that it wasn't on the right disk, so I moved the whole Riot games folder from my local disk C: to my other D: however after going in the settings, storage I saw that Riot Client app and that it took 11,8GB. I...
  3. Application does not exist but takes storage and shows in settings app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application does not exist but takes storage and shows in settings app: So I recently downloaded Riot Client to play League but realized that it wasn't on the right disk, so I moved the whole Riot games folder from my local disk C: to my other D: however after going in the settings, storage I saw that Riot Client app and that it took 11,8GB. I...
  4. Application does not exist but takes storage and shows in settings app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB constantly disconnects "A device which does not exist was specified"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB constantly disconnects "A device which does not exist was specified": Hello, Whenever I connect a USB to my computer and attempt to copy files onto the USB Port, the transfer will proceed for a minute or so and then stop due to the following error:The device appears to disconnect and then reconnect immediately. My default action is to open...
  6. USB Mass Storage Device driver not showing or working

in Windows 10 News
    USB Mass Storage Device driver not showing or working: [ATTACH]The use of USB storage devices is rampant in the form of pen drives, external Hard disks, etc. We connect them to our PC copy files and save them offline nowadays. Some people are facing issues with the USB Mass Storage Device driver. In this guide, we have a few...
  7. My device does not exist

in Windows 10 Customization
    My device does not exist: I tried to buy the game minecraft on my computer but it said that "It looks like you don’t have any applicable devices linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your Microsoft account." But im on my computer and its says that my account is working...
  8. USB STORAGE DEVICE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB STORAGE DEVICE: I've saved all my documents and pictures on my old computer onto a USB memory stick so I could transfer to my new computer, but the memory device isn't showing up when I plug into the new computer....
  9. Mass Storage device USB 2.0 Windows 10 shows that it is connected, but the drive does not...

Mass Storage device USB 2.0 Windows 10 shows that it is connected, but the drive does not...: why doesn't my mass storage drive show up in windows explorer. The device is connected because I can see its connected, but I cannot use the drive at all....
  10. USB Storage Devices

USB Storage Devices: I've been using Win10 since the general release. This was an update install on a Win7 laptop. Apart from a few issues (waking from sleep on scheduled tasks, lack of control on updates) I have a problem with external devices. If I use several USB flash drives/harddrive I'm...