Windows 10: Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

Discus and support Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi, i am having problem with the properties option. i am using windows 10 and just encountered a problem. i was checking the size of one of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnghanTech, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

hi,

i am having problem with the properties option.

i am using windows 10 and just encountered a problem.

i was checking the size of one of my folder (in terms of checking how much space it occupies on hard drive). i got some figure around 60.04 GB.

just to cross verify i opened it and done another check by selecting all folders and hit alt+Enter (to check properties (shortcut key)) and i found figure 80.67 GB !!! while the size of parent folder was 60.04 GB and sub directories are showing 80.67 GB.

the properties option showing wrong information??

to cross verify i done one more test i copied some more data in that folder of 2GB it should be 80.67+2.00 =82.67 GB ? right?

but it was still 60.04 GB.

i restarted my pc twice to confirm whether it is taking time to update the data or what?

can any one can explain me what is happening here or can help me to sort this issue out ?

Thanks

:)

AnghanTech, Dec 24, 2018

2. Properties shows wrong size for files and folder

I went through both methods (thanks alot for the help BTW) and retested the same pictures drive again, with both methods again

Method 1 - right clicking on the folder...selecting properties, and reading the size on disk it reports

Method 2 - opening up the folder, clicking inside the search bar and selecting *.* which shows every file and folder inside + all subdirectories. Confirmed theres no "grouping" its all just listed together. Select all files (control A) then right click and
    select properties...and reading the size on disk it reports

Same results Im afraid. I retested another folder on a physically different hard drive using the same test - and also came up with ridiculously contradicting claims on how much data is in there

Interesting hey Test 1 = 142Gig VS 386Gig

Test 2 on a seperate HDD (physically seperate drive) 669Gig VS 184Gig

Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option f6bb6b91-a6f3-46cc-ac99-fdaa821acb46.jpg

Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option 31ce51bd-4b68-450b-a5d2-ce7126e623a6.jpg

sdfgaesftgeawrtawe, Dec 24, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

Win10 pro 1803 update shows wrong folder sizes

Windows 10 pro 1803 update shows totally wrong folder sizes. same problem is reported by other users here. Same problem is posted here by other users too, as early as May 2018. I wonder what has been done about it by Microsoft.

The problem is two fold

1. If you select a folder directly from left pane of the file explorer by right clicking it, it shows totally wrong total size.

2. If you left click the folder in the left pane to see listing of subfolders and files in it - in the right pane, and then select everything in the right pane by control +A and then right clicking it to see total size of all folders and filess, the folder
    that is just underneath the cursor is selected and shown at the top of the box that opens to show the total size. Here too it shows wrong size information. I wonder why windows selects name of the folder underneath the cursor to show at top of the box even
    when you select all folders.

I hope Microsoft will take care of this on urgent basis and not sleep over it.

I have been using Windows since windows 3.11. Every time there is a upgrade, some old problems disappear and totally new ones crop up in the most unexpected places.

PLEASE HELP. thanks

FeelFeline, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

1. Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option - Similar Threads - showing wrong size

2. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  3. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  4. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WIndows 10 Not Showing Folder Properties

WIndows 10 Not Showing Folder Properties: Windows 10 not showing file and folders properties. I am trying all methods that u told before about same problems to others users. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-not-showing-folder-properties/61725fa3-1685-4367-8238-eadf2f3d007e
  6. Windows 10 showing the wrong file size

Windows 10 showing the wrong file size: I have a problem by some files same as something that explain https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-showing-the-wrong-file-size-in-version/8e4b1d9c-53a6-4767-b97f-70a9d4a0a4cf?auth=1 I've tried some ways as: TLPD, TreeSize and etc is there any...
  7. File Explorer shows wrong folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size: Recently I noticed that in File Explorer when I right click on a folder and click Properties, the folder size is sometimes shown much smaller than the correct size. For example, in File Explorer, Documents shows as 30 MB (repeat 30 MB), while in Tree Size Free the correct...
  8. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  9. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  10. Window 10 gives wrong folder size

Window 10 gives wrong folder size: Any easy fix to solve wrong folder size displayed in Window 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-gives-wrong-folder-size/8f7e6669-2110-4044-bc8a-aa44dba91e61"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 folder properties size wrong

2. windows 10 folder properties wrong

3. folder properties wrong size

4. windows 10 folder properties incorrect,
  5. windows 10 folder size wrong,
  6. properties showing wrong disk space win 10,
  7. while checking folder size its showing less size,
  8. windows 10 folder properties,
  9. folder property size wrong,
  10. windows folder size looks wrong,
  11. incorrect folder size on windows 10,
  12. system drive showing incorrect size in explorer,
  13. windows folder properties not accurate,
  14. folder properties now showing accurate folder size and files,
  15. windows 10 folder size different in properties from when you hover over it