Windows 10: Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a brand new SSD by WD Blue. Recently about a 3 - 4 days ago I have perform clean installation of Windows to it. Today I have noticed that used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mikhail Evdokimov, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD

I have a brand new SSD by WD Blue. Recently about a 3 - 4 days ago I have perform clean installation of Windows to it. Today I have noticed that used space shows incorrect.

Screenshots:

Disk C: properties 40 Gb used:

Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD cb1d95f2-54c8-475d-9f5b-255e9fc812c6?upload=true.png

The following screenshots demonstrating I select all disk C: contents then select properties all of it then give ~26 Gb value result:

Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD 542841f3-3120-4c7f-a238-ca0d7ce82816?upload=true.png

Maybe I'm not understand something but where the other ~15 Gb?

:)

Mikhail Evdokimov, Apr 15, 2021
  2. n0ro Win User

Windows 10 reports incorrect remaining SSD space; no solutions have worked.

I am using Windows 10.

Currently, Windows itself is reporting the incorrect remaining free space on my SSD (Samsung EVO 840 120GB). This has been a problem for weeks. I have had no success in resolving the issue.

After updating my SSD firmware, I was briefly able to get File Explorer to report the appropriate 12.4 GB remaining of free space, as you can see from the screenshot below. However, from within the Windows 10 Settings window, you can see that the system
    thinks I only have 1.5 GB of space left. This makes absolutely no sense and is factually incorrect. Now, the File Explorer is reporting the 1.5 GB again.

Here is what I have done with no success:

1. Ran chkdsk on C:\ drive; no issues found.
    2. Ran DISM and SFC; no issues, didn't resolve the problem.
    3. Checked system protection; it is turned off, there are no excessive system restore points.
    4. Checked system partitions; there is no missing space needing to be reallocated.
    5. Updated SSD firmware.
    6. Rank Disk Cleanup I don't even know how many times at this point.
    7. Read other support articles and community posts with the same problem; none of their solutions have worked.

I am pretty agitated at this point and running out of thoughts on how to proceed. I can't update my OS because it thinks I don't have 10GB of free space to do so. Any suggestions you might be able to provide are greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD d7637d47-1b88-4a65-b2ee-4473271bc88d?upload=true.jpg

3. borophyll Win User
    Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage

If I open Settings in Windows 10, then go to System > Storage, I get the following usage for C:
    161Gb used of 285Gb
    whereas File Explorer gives the more sensible 21Gb used of 145Gb, which is almost certainly the correct values, given that it is a 145Gb partition, and is a fresh install of Windows 10. The C: partition is on a 480Gb SSD drive.

Here is a screenshot of disk management showing the correct values

Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD [​IMG]

And here is a screenshot of the Storage screen with the incorrect values

Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD [​IMG]

Can anyone explain why this is?

Thanks.

borophyll, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD

Storage Space shows low capacity warning

Hello Chaeril,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Windows created the low disk space warning to alert computer users when their hard drive is running low on available disk space. However in your case, the warning itself shows incorrect while there is still space left.

To be able to assist you better please let us know few more details on the below questions.

1. What is the make and the model of your computer?

2. Is the D: drive which you have shared the information about a secondary drive or a primary drive (Windows drive)?

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    If the above recommendation did not work, I would suggest you to follow the below steps as a work around to stop the Windows notification of low disk space.

• Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
    • Type in regedit to open the Registry Editor.
    • Navigate down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Policies / Explorer
    • If the NoLowDiskSpaceChecks key is not there, right-click to create a new DWORD value with that name.
    • Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, enter 1 for the value
    • Press OK and exit from REGEDIT.
    Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD

1. Windows 10 Shows Incorrect Value of Used Space on my SSD - Similar Threads - Shows Incorrect Value

2. Why does my SSD show incorrect space but in settings its correct?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my SSD show incorrect space but in settings its correct?: This just recently started to show incorrect information could someone tell me how to fix this or what has happened to make this occur?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-ssd-show-incorrect-space-but-in/4623114c-3eec-41c4-a331-79621d0e456d
  3. Why does my SSD show incorrect space but in settings its correct?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my SSD show incorrect space but in settings its correct?: This just recently started to show incorrect information could someone tell me how to fix this or what has happened to make this occur?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-ssd-show-incorrect-space-but-in/4623114c-3eec-41c4-a331-79621d0e456d
  4. Windows 11 Showing incorrect used space on my hard drive

Windows 11 Showing incorrect used space on my hard drive: Windows 11 is saying my 1TB disk is almost full due to apps taking up space - over 700 GB. I have 87 apps and the biggest is 1.7 GB and most are measured in MB, so 700 GB for just apps is impossible. The other things taking up space look correct. Per the properties, I only...
  5. Windows 11 Showing incorrect used space on my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Showing incorrect used space on my hard drive: Windows 11 is saying my 1TB disk is almost full due to apps taking up space - over 700 GB. I have 87 apps and the biggest is 1.7 GB and most are measured in MB, so 700 GB for just apps is impossible. The other things taking up space look correct. Per the properties, I only...
  6. Battery Report shows incorrect values

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery Report shows incorrect values: So today I was using my Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop when all of a sudden it turned off. When I turned it back on it was showing the update screen. So I let it update and after the battery showed as 63% whereas before it turned off it was 66%. I generated a Battery Report...
  7. Battery Report shows incorrect values

Battery Report shows incorrect values: So today I was using my Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop when all of a sudden it turned off. When I turned it back on it was showing the update screen. So I let it update and after the battery showed as 63% whereas before it turned off it was 66%. I generated a Battery Report...
  8. SSD Not displaying Used Space/Free Space, other ssd shows fine

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD Not displaying Used Space/Free Space, other ssd shows fine: Im running Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909. See Attached Image My E: Drive is a Western Digital SN750 1TB M.2 SSD. It does not display the Free Space/Total Space like the other SSD/Partitions C: or D: [img] Can someone tell me how to fix this? - - - Updated - - -...
  9. Why does storage space show incorrect used space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does storage space show incorrect used space?: Storage Space is telling me I'm using 7.26 TB of 7.26 TB on Storage space E: but everything else is telling me I'm only using 1.66 to 1.7 TB. Below is a collage of various utilities reporting storage usage as well as the result of a CHKDSK command. Based on other guidance...
  10. Data Usage App showing incorrect value

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Usage App showing incorrect value: Hi everyone, I'm trying to monitor my data usage and found some odd things. My data usage monitor built into windows (in Settings -> Network) is showing I've used 72 gigabytes in the last month. However, a 3rd party app (its called Data Usage on the Window's store) is...