Windows 10: Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed

Discus and support Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; so one day i mad my little brother an account so he can play games without messing with my stuff and once the account boot up every account on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by grant12500, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed

so one day i mad my little brother an account so he can play games without messing with my stuff and once the account boot up every account on the system was like the picture down below. i thought it was a redgedit problem so I restored windows keeping my stuff and that seemed to fix it. a week went by i woke up got on my computer loged on and the problem seems to be back.
    Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed [​IMG]

:)

grant12500, Dec 11, 2016

2. WINDOWS 10

HI! i m using windows 10

from 2 days it is not working that is it is not showing any thing in pc except icons

it is not showing their names similarly in task manager no name or command only icons

as a conclusion there is only icons they perform yheir functions but there is no text showing plz help

HarisAsghar123, Dec 11, 2016
  3. M.Glavina Win User
    Notification bar time desplay

Hi,

After resent Windows-10 upgrade notification bar time display is not visible.

Time shows on the icon but is black colour text and barely visible.

How to change the text colour in that icon.

The "date ant time" icon works OK and will open "time, date and calendar" folder.

Thank you for help,

Mike

M.Glavina, Dec 11, 2016
  4. Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed

Caledon Ken, Dec 11, 2016
  5. SonicBlue Win User
    Rebuilding the Icon Cache will not fix this issue. I experienced the exact same when creating another user also repeated on a third user. There was a registry error on the third user first boot but I did not get a chance to read it before it went away.

SonicBlue, Dec 11, 2016
  6. SonicBlue can I ask how you final resolved. Did you do a re-install or a repair Windows? Thanks

Caledon Ken, Dec 11, 2016
  7. SonicBlue Win User
    Sorry, I have not resolved the issue yet. I deleted the new accounts. I will get back to it soon.
    Question: Did you create basic account or did you create a Microsoft account?

SonicBlue, Dec 12, 2016
  8. Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed

SonicBlue the first time it happened was when making a local user and then i restored windows keeping my stuff and the second time i just turned on my pc and the problem returned.

grant12500, Dec 12, 2016
  9. I continued to look for solutions as the issue does seem common. I came across this solution.

http://www.top-password.com/blog/fix-desktop-icons-show-only-text-in-windows-10/

It talks to renaming / deleting this specific key. I would rename.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

I did not test this solution. I will say I checked three of my Window 10 machines and I don't have this key, nor do I have the problem of only seeing text.

I'm presenting for discussion. Thoughts or comments?

Anyone taking this action should obviously make a backup of the registry or even an Image with Macrium before proceeding to ensure they can restore.

Caledon Ken, Dec 12, 2016
  10. SonicBlue Win User
    I also saw that and another thread in the SevenForum stating to add this value to that key
    C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,29
    But I don't believe that will solve this problem!

Edit: That Key is in the registry.

SonicBlue, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed

1. Windows 10 shows text but no icons. Help needed - Similar Threads - shows text icons

2. Text and icons bugging, showing up as lines.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Text and icons bugging, showing up as lines.: Recently I was having issues with my geforce experience app. around the same time I started having this bug. Geforce experience wouldn't open correctly, and I couldn't update my gpu drivers. I reinstalled it and was able to update my drivers. I thought it was fixed, but no. I...
  3. Windows 10 showing no text

Windows 10 showing no text: I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS MY SYSTEM AS MY PC IS SHOWING EMPTY TEXT. GIVE SOME GOOD ADVICE. ALREADY GONE THROUGH ENOUGH. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-showing-no-text/8f4f2436-6d3c-4d6b-b7e6-5a8d2fbfefe6
  4. it shows that windows needed to be activated, need help

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    it shows that windows needed to be activated, need help: I dont have the product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-shows-that-windows-needed-to-be-activated-need/cac911cc-963a-4090-b73d-4efe283eab82
  5. Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.

Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.: Hi! This is my first time on here and i need help so ill get straight to the point. So a few minutes ago as im writing this, i restarted my computer because my taskbar wasnt showing. So it turned back on, the taskbar was showing, but my icons were not but the text or title...
  6. Desktop icons are gone only text shows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are gone only text shows: My computer only shows text for the desktop icons. It still works but it's get annoying that I can't see my icons. I've been looking at different methods online, but nothing seems to work....
  7. Desktop icons missing, Only text showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons missing, Only text showing: I have Three user accounts in my PC and this issue affects two of them My Desktop icons have disappeared and i can only see the Names of each shortcut which i am able to click to open as usual. In Windows Explorer My Navigation Pane is empty and my Libraries icons are...
  8. Windows 10 showing Missing Text and Icons on the Screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 showing Missing Text and Icons on the Screen: This Morning I booted up my system and started playing CSGO (Played many times without any issues) and by mistake I pressed windows key and after few mins quit the game but the system acting weirdly after that (Screenshot Attached below) Laptop: DELL 15 - 7548 Inspiron...
  9. Some icons and text not showing in search menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Some icons and text not showing in search menu: Ever since I installed Windows 10, a lot of text and icons in the search menu are not showing up ever. I've tried the obvious things such as restarting my computer and making sure I have all Windows updates. My start menu and everything else seems to work normally. Here are...
  10. Need help to increase size of icons and text in many apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help to increase size of icons and text in many apps: Size of text and size of toolbox icons are tiny. About half the size as items on this text function. Tried everything Can you direct me to information? Fast Stone Image Viewer is example Thank you for help 25786