Windows 10: Windows 10 shutdown procedure wake up every idle hdd???

Discus and support Windows 10 shutdown procedure wake up every idle hdd??? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there, My comp is equipped with one sdd system disk and 5 hdd's as storage.. cause I want to keep it fast and quiet every hdd is set to idle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by avatar, Sep 26, 2015.

1. avatar Win User

Windows 10 shutdown procedure wake up every idle hdd???

Hi there,

My comp is equipped with one sdd system disk and 5 hdd's as storage.. cause I want to keep it fast and quiet every hdd is set to idle after 5 mins until need for data and then it spins up.. it is ok because i rare use some hdd's..

Problem is when i want to shutdown or restart windows 10 then it awakes and spin every hdd one by one and then shuts down so it last long to shutdown whole system.. but when ssd is only drive it shuts very fast..
    also this problem appeared in win 8

As I said i want to keep it quiet as cpu is cooled with huge megahalems radiator without fan running or on very low rotations by 12cm fan and psu is seasonic which spins up fan only if more than 50-60% of power is used.. gpu is integrated.. so it is almost fanless desktop only hdd-s are annoying so i shut them down after 5 mins.. any idea to what service is that behavior related to? is it some kind of caching, encryption or something else?

What causes hdd wake-up and how can i turn it OFF?

Thanks

:)

2. How to fix a TDR video failure stop code error for my computer when waking it up from sleep?

Every time that I wake up my computer from sleep or idle it would show on the monitor to be blinking on and off while waking it up. Once it wake up it give me a blue screen with the stop code error TDR video failure then it reboot my system over again.
    I need a solution to fix this problem. Help?

LennisFareed, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Computer Sleep/Wake and Shutdown Issue - Windows 10

I updated to windows 10 recently. After the update, I see that when I put the computer to sleep/shutdown, even though screen turns off, the computer still runs for long time with the power button on the computer still on. This happens also when the computer
    goes to sleep after idle time, the power button will be still lit and the computer will not wake up when I press the power key. Then I have to hard shutdown the computer and start it all over again. Is anyone else facing the same issue. I own a HP Touchsmart
    computer with Windows 10.

MANOJ BROMEOSEBASTIAN, Sep 26, 2015
  4. Windows 10 shutdown procedure wake up every idle hdd???

Hello avatar Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The first thing that comes immediately to mind about this would be Windows simply checking around all drives and devices when shutting down the various processes it finds still running including any programs still open. This would be the normal function seen in Windows and something you want to leave intact.

When mentioning you have 5 storage and backup drives how large are those? If you have several small capacity drives perhaps considering fewer larger capacity models would be a consideration. Fewer drives if not already having large capacity drives will mean fewer drives woken up during the shutdown.

With four HDs here two for the dual boot set up along with a pair of 2tb models for local storage and backup purposes seeing things shut down sooner and faster usually means reducing the number of active startup processes you have running which helps in speeding things up when going to shut the system down completely. Only here I usually end up keeping the system going 24/7 anyways and have things set for the performance plan.

Night Hawk, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 shutdown procedure wake up every idle hdd???

1. Windows 10 shutdown procedure wake up every idle hdd??? - Similar Threads - shutdown procedure wake

2. Windows 10 waking up after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 waking up after shutdown: Related to: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-waking-up-after-shutdown/faa2a966-2c69-478f-aaf2-60bcf49cdd01Hi I have a similar problem. My computer doesn’t shut down. Well, not always. When I want to power it off, I click Start > Power >...
  3. Windows 10 waking up after shutdown

Windows 10 waking up after shutdown: I came back from a 5-days vacation and I have found my main computer which I always shut down alive and processing the usual tasks that are usually run when I am supervising it. The rack cooler was off, since i was not there, and the temperature of the board and cards were at...
  4. Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes

Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes: Is there a way to prevent Explorer.exe from spinning up hard drives every 10 minutes? Every 10 minutes it requests the available free space.. [ATTACH] Windows 10 v1909 172538
  5. Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes: Is there a way to prevent Explorer.exe from spinning up hard drives every 10 minutes? Every 10 minutes it requests the available free space.. [ATTACH]...
  6. wake up at 12am every night

in Windows 10 Customization
    wake up at 12am every night: my pc wakes up at 12 am every night, i have turned off all devices from device manager, looked at all the scheduled tasks and nothing worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-up-at-12am-every-night/6b44b6f4-227b-4d3e-85d7-61032bfefce7
  7. HDD keeps waking up every 10 min

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD keeps waking up every 10 min: I have read a lot about this tough I dont know what process is causing it. So the OS is on a SSD and have a 1TB HDD which I hardly use. Thus preferably its always off. However it keeps waking up auto every 20 min ish. I have run the Proces Monitor though I dont know what...
  8. Open Shell's shutdown procedure is not the same as Window 10's shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open Shell's shutdown procedure is not the same as Window 10's shutdown: I use Open Shell (the Windows 7-like start menu replacement). The shutdown button there is different from the default Windows 10 shutdown. First off, it doesn't ask for confirmation to shutdown. More importantly, once you shutdown and start the computer again, programs do not...
  9. Bitlocker waking up non-encrypted HDD drives every hour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker waking up non-encrypted HDD drives every hour: So I'm running Bitlocker encrypted and non-encrypted HDD disks and have set up disk to sleep after 5 minutes. However, every hour Bitlocker wakes up the disks that are _not_encrypted, apparently to check if they can be encrypted, or something similar. Disks that have all...
  10. Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows hangs following normal shutdown procedure: After using the start/power options to shut down the PC it goes into the clue background screen with the revolving circle of white dots and just stays like hat for hours. 55468