Windows 10: Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating

Discus and support Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop ( HP ProBook 440 G2 ), but I've been facing some issues where, after a short period of usage (around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Correia, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Correia Win User

Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating

So, I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop ( HP ProBook 440 G2 ), but I've been facing some issues where, after a short period of usage (around 20 minutes and beyond) the OS simply shuts down when I close the lid or manually press the Suspend button, even tho I configured Windows to suspend when the lid is closed, when running on both AC and DC. The power and changing LEDs start blinking and it powers off, making me lose any unsaved work and taking years to boot up again. If I just started my laptop and haven't done much work, it suspends just fine.

Here is a video of what happens: YouTube
    It keeps blinking like that for 50 - 60 seconds. Interestingly, also, when I press the button to shutdown windows, it also does the led blinking thing and takes longer than usual to power down.

Things I've tried so far and didn't work:
    1) Completely low-level formatting the HDD and re-installing windows from the ISO from Microsofts website. Downloaded and installed all updates available.
    2) Manually updated every single driver on the laptop, there isn't a single driver requiring update.
    3) Tried to update the BIOS.
    4) Tried to re-flash the BIOS to the same ( latest ) version.
    5) Tried disabling Hybrid Shutdown.
    6) All Power-saving features are disabled within the BIOS.
    7) Tried running "powercfg /energy", but returned only this single error:

Code: Platform Power Management CapabilitiesWindows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.[/quote] This error also happens on my desktop, also running Windows 10 with all updates and same apps (even more), but it suspends just fine, so I don't think it's interfering with anything.​

I know it's a Windows 10 issue because the laptop came with Windows 8.1 Pro installed and it was working like a charm, the issue started after I decided to go to Windows 10 ( already regretting... ), and also, I tried to dual-boot Ubuntu 16.04 and it suspends and shuts down just fine, even after hours of intense work.

I'm currently doing all my work on Ubuntu, and when I have to use Windows, I have to shutdown every single time I want to close the lid, even if it's for 10 seconds. Normally, Win10 fully boots in about 50 seconds. When it shuts down like this, with the LED's blinking, it takes about 2 - 3 minutes to completely boot ( desktop with all apps loaded ).

:)

Correia, Jun 10, 2016
  2. Paola Gar Win User

shut down / power off setting

Hi Deano,

Instead of shutting down your computer after a period of idle time, we recommend putting it in sleep mode or hibernate.

When shutting down your PC, you need to save your work first and you’ll have to sit through the boot-up process, manually relaunch all the programs you were using, and reopen all the documents you were editing.
    Sleep and hibernate, on the other hand, preserve your session. You don’t have to worry about closing your programs and saving your documents. When you come back and press the power button, everything will be exactly as you left it.

To hibernate your device or put it in sleep mode, please refer to the article below:

Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Jun 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 shutting down instead of sleeping

I own an HP Pavillion x360 and starting yesterday, February 18, 2017, my laptop has begun shutting down instead of going into sleep mode. I've tested it multiple ways like shutting the lid and opening it to find that the computer reboots. I've tried multiple
    solutions but windows has said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Your inputs are valued thank you.

RollinAllonce, Jun 10, 2016
  4. RobWMI Win User

I have also had my Dell Precision m4600 laptop shut down instead of hibernating a couple times recently. It regularly (once in 6 or 8 times) restarts fresh from hibernation, deleting my saved state. Haven't been able to pin down a solution here either. I'm running off a Crucial m550 mSATA hard drive, stuck on an older bios version because of a bug.

RobWMI, Aug 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating - Similar Threads - Shutting Down instead

2. Why my PC won't sleep or hibernate and instead it will shut down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my PC won't sleep or hibernate and instead it will shut down?: Last night before I go to bed I chose to hibernate my PC and Today when I woke up I turned on my PC windows didn't resume and all programs were closed.after that at lunch time I chose to sleep my PC and it went off and it happened like Shut Down and I forced to turn on The PC...
  3. Why my PC won't sleep or hibernate and instead it will shut down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my PC won't sleep or hibernate and instead it will shut down?: Last night before I go to bed I chose to hibernate my PC and Today when I woke up I turned on my PC windows didn't resume and all programs were closed.after that at lunch time I chose to sleep my PC and it went off and it happened like Shut Down and I forced to turn on The PC...
  4. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  5. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  6. Closes apps and shuts down instead of Hibernating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Closes apps and shuts down instead of Hibernating: I have been facing this issue that whenever I hibernate my laptop from the Power Button menu in startor Alt+F4 the laptop shows Locking but when I power on my laptop the next day, I find all apps like teams and stuff closed and hence have to restart all apps in order to...
  7. Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.

Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.: Greetings, everyone! <3 I know there had been threads on this topic, but none of those helped me. Here are my PC specs mind you it's PC, not a laptop: Processor: AMD A6-9500 RADEON R4+5, 8 COMPUTE CORES 2C+6G 3.50 GHz RAM: 4 GB Hard: 120 GB SSD System type: 64-bit...
  8. Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation: Hi As far as I can tell, after sleep/hibernation (being left for a long period, usually overnight), I come back ro my PC to find that it has completely shutdown. It is encrypted with a bitlocker password so I suppose if an update is applied overnight then this would be the...
  9. Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue: Hello, Recently I had replaced new battery and Hard disk for my laptop(HP Pavilion p045tx notebook, 4th i7, 8 GB/1 TB). Then Changed the OS to windows 10 instead of previous 8.1. Till then, the laptop is facing issues with sleep, hibernate & shut down functions. When I...
  10. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep: I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 shuts down instead of sleeping