Windows 10: Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out

Discus and support Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 users who sign in using local accounts may see Sign in to your Microsoft account nags when they open the Settings app. The functionality is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 19, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out

Windows 10 users who sign in using local accounts may see Sign in to your Microsoft account nags when they open the Settings app. The functionality is rolling out in release preview builds of Windows 10. Soon, it will be released as part of a stable update, likely the May 2024 security update for the operating system.

Microsoft announced the feature on the Windows Insider blog. There, Microsoft writes: "This update starts the rolls out of account-related notifications for Microsoft accounts in Settings > Home".

Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out sign-in-to-your-microsoft-account.jpg
    via Albacore

The message is displayed to users who sign in using local accounts. Microsoft says that signing in to a Microsoft account allows users to back up their device and keep it more secure.

The backup functionality is powered by the Windows Backup app. It is not a full backup app that allows you to back up the entire system. Instead, it supports pushing files from specific folders, Store apps, and some settings to OneDrive.

Focus on Microsoft Account

Microsoft has made it difficult to set up Windows 11 using a Microsoft account. There is no obvious way to set up Windows 11 using a local account. While there are ways to bypass the Microsoft account requirement, it may require running commands from the command prompt.

Windows 10 does not have the same restrictions as Windows 11 in this regard, but Microsoft is clearly favoring Microsoft accounts over local accounts.

The option to create local accounts after the initial setup is still available in both operating systems.

The new system is not the first that Microsoft introduced on Windows 10. Back in August 2023, Microsoft rolled out a similar change in the Start Menu. The profile icon of local users shows an error badge that highlights the advantages of a Microsoft account.

Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out [​IMG]

The new message in Settings has a close button, but that just closes it for the time being. Microsoft notes that users may manage these notifications under Settings > Privacy & Security > General.

Closing Words

Microsoft has a vetted interest in pushing Microsoft accounts. Main reasons for this are:

• Upsell of subscriptions and other products, which all require a Microsoft account.
    • Collect more data about users who use a Microsoft account.

Using a Microsoft account does have benefits. Users get some online storage and the ability to sync some data using that storage. Privacy is one downside to using one.

What about you? Do you use local accounts or a Microsoft account?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 19, 2024
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Apr 19, 2024
  3. Windows 10 won't allow me to "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead"

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following question:

• Do you receive any error message when you try to Switch to Microsoft account?

I suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1

I Suggest you to start the "Microsoft account sign in assistant" service and check if it helps. If its already started then stop it and restart the service.To do so,follow the steps below:

• Type services in the search bar.
    • Select Microsoft account sign in assistant service.
    • Right click on Microsoft account sign in assistant
      and click stop to stop the service.
    • Right click on Microsoft account sign in assistant
      again and click restart to start the service.

Method 2

I suggest you to create a local admin account and then switch to microsoft account and check if it helps:

Please follow the link below:

Create a local user account in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Follow the steps below to convert a local account to Microsoft Account:

• Press “Windows + I” keys to open Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Tap or click Switch to a Microsoft account and follow the on screen instructions.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Apr 19, 2024
  4. Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out

sign into microsoft account glitch

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Is this the only account on the computer?
    • Was this account upgraded from previous version of Windows?

It looks like you are using a local account. I suggest you follow these steps:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead.
    • Enter your Local account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the new Microsoft account and click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Waseemulla S, Apr 19, 2024
Thema:

Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out

1. Windows 10: Sign in to your Microsoft account messages roll out - Similar Threads - Sign Microsoft account

2. "We can't sign into your account" Windows 10 Message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We can't sign into your account" Windows 10 Message: Man, I don't know much about computers but I know more than my father so fixing stuff made it worse. I don't know what happened is that when I was trying to fix my touchpad, someone had suggested I'd download Windows 10. I hesitated and did it but canceled it before it did?...
  3. "We can't sign into your account" Windows 10 Message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "We can't sign into your account" Windows 10 Message: Man, I don't know much about computers but I know more than my father so fixing stuff made it worse. I don't know what happened is that when I was trying to fix my touchpad, someone had suggested I'd download Windows 10. I hesitated and did it but canceled it before it did?...
  4. "We can't sign into your account" Windows 10 Message

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Error message “you signed out of your account”

Error message “you signed out of your account”: Help! Can’t get into my laptop. It’s a Dell Latitude E5550. I get the message “You signed out of your account.” Also when I log into my profile on my IPad for my Microsoft account it will not allow me to fix my birthday. It has my grandson’s birth year of 2015....
  6. Error message “you signed out of your account”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message “you signed out of your account”: Help! Can’t get into my laptop. It’s a Dell Latitude E5550. I get the message “You signed out of your account.” Also when I log into my profile on my IPad for my Microsoft account it will not allow me to fix my birthday. It has my grandson’s birth year of 2015....
  7. How to sign out of your Microsoft account on Windows 10?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to sign out of your Microsoft account on Windows 10?: Hey guys, I'm aware that I'm suppose to go to account settings and press sign in with local account but it doesn't showand yes I'm admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sign-out-of-your-microsoft-account-on/257e9967-fcd6-4261-b3f1-217d68f90f04
  8. How to sign out of your Microsoft account on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to sign out of your Microsoft account on Windows 10?: Hey guys, I'm aware that I'm suppose to go to account settings and press sign in with local account but it doesn't showand yes I'm admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sign-out-of-your-microsoft-account-on/257e9967-fcd6-4261-b3f1-217d68f90f04
  9. How to sign out of your Microsoft account on Windows 10?

10. Microsoft account keeps signing me out with an error message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft account keeps signing me out with an error message: I just finished factory resetting my Windows 19 laptop a few hours ago. I am currently setting it back up but my Microsoft account keeps signing me out and giving me this message... Request Id: e9704b4b-ab4c-45ae-80f2-03d853a62e00 Correlation Id:...