Windows 10: Windows 10 signing me out of apps when I shut down computer

Discus and support Windows 10 signing me out of apps when I shut down computer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Recently, everytime I shut my computer down, I am signed out of everything on Google Chrome, none of my passwords are saving. As well as when I turn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cory McGinnis, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Windows 10 signing me out of apps when I shut down computer

Recently, everytime I shut my computer down, I am signed out of everything on Google Chrome, none of my passwords are saving. As well as when I turn the computer on, I am signed out of Outlook, and all of my Adobe Creative Cloud Suite apps. No idea what happened or how I can get it back to how it was.

:)

Cory McGinnis, Jul 5, 2020
  2. wiganken Win User

Shut down does not sign user out first

Windows 10 ‘Keeps you signed-in’ test: -
    (Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1803, Build 17134.523 - Set up as Local Account)

Test 1 - Not signed-out:
    1. Sign-in as ‘Visitor’ and then ‘Shut down’ without signing out.
    2. Switch back on and sign-in as ‘Another User’ then shut down again. In this case an alert as follows appears: - “Someone else is still using this machine. If you shut down now they could lose unsaved work”. This proves that W10 did not sign 'Visitor' out before shutting down.

Test 2 - Signed-out:
    3. Sign-in as ‘Visitor’ and sign-out first then ‘Shut down’ from sign-in screen.
    4. Switch back on and sign-in as ‘Another User’ then shut down again. In this case no alerts appear but it is now ‘Another User’ who remains signed-in because they did not sign out before shutting down.

The above does not happen in Windows 8.1 which signs you out when you shut down the PC. It is clear that Windows 10 keeps you signed-in until you sign out manually. Is this a bug or setting on my Windows 10 Home machine or is it how W10 works?

I have looked for settings such as “Sign user out when user shuts down computer” but cannot find any.

I have tried switching ‘Fast start’ off but this does not fix the problem. All it does is increase the boot time.

I have seen a couple of sources that state that clicking ‘Start’ then ‘Shut-down’ is really hibernating and that W10 logs the user off before creating the hibernate file but in my case it is not signing a user out first so it may be a bug.

In order to bypass this Windows 10 problem/bug can anyone tell me if the following batch file script would sign-out the current user first then continue (after sign out is complete) to the ‘Shut down’ phase and shut down the laptop?
    The batch file would be named “LO & SD.bat” (Log Off & Shut Down) and I would put it on each user’s desktop. Proposed script as follows: -

@ echo OFF
    Shutdown /l (That is a letter l at the end, not a number 1)
    Shutdown

I know I could try it and see how I get on but running batch files can have unwanted consequences and I did not want to confuse my OS and put it into a loop I can't get out of.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

wiganken, Jul 5, 2020
  3. Windows 10 does not sign users out when shutting down or restarting PC

Using Windows 10 Pro 1706.

Two users on PC.

When shutting down or restarting, Windows does not sign the user out. Get warning message "Someone else is still using the PC. If you shut down now, they could lose unsaved work." FYI, Task manager shows the User Status of that someone else as "Disconnected."

It seems only logical that when one user shuts down the PC that that user would be signed out. We can go through extra steps of signing out and then shutdown the PC from the Windows logon screen but I don't know anyone who would think that it's an user
    friendly process.

What gives???

pragmaticron, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Windows 10 signing me out of apps when I shut down computer

Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10

Hello Jerry, Windows 10 signing me out of apps when I shut down computer :)

This seems to have changed in Windows 10.

If you leave the "End Task" dialog idle for a minute, Windows will automatically cancel the restart, shut down, or sign out instead of forcing the apps closed and continuing with the restart, shut down, or sign out.

As a workaround for what you want for now, you could do this below to make it close any apps preventing the restart, shut down, or sign out quickly, and continue.

1) Turn on AutoEndTasks.

2) Change HungAppTimeout to "1000".

Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 signing me out of apps when I shut down computer

1. Windows 10 signing me out of apps when I shut down computer - Similar Threads - signing apps shut

2. When my computer shuts down, I want everybody that was signed in to automatically be signed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When my computer shuts down, I want everybody that was signed in to automatically be signed...: I'm using Windows 11 Home 22H2 and I want to ensure all accounts are forcibly signed out of whenever someone shuts down the pc or restarts it....
  3. When my computer shuts down, I want everybody that was signed in to automatically be signed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When my computer shuts down, I want everybody that was signed in to automatically be signed...: I'm using Windows 11 Home 22H2 and I want to ensure all accounts are forcibly signed out of whenever someone shuts down the pc or restarts it....
  4. When my computer is sleeping, my computer feels like it was shut down, but when I sign it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When my computer is sleeping, my computer feels like it was shut down, but when I sign it...: So I found this annoying thing on my Windows computer when sleeping. When I try to press any key to awake the computer, the computer does not wake up. When I press the power button, it looks like the computer shuted down by itself. When I sign it on, it takes me to where I...
  5. My desktop PC won't sign out when I shut down.

in Windows 10 Support
    My desktop PC won't sign out when I shut down.: When I shut down with Start Menu > Power icon > shut down, my PC doesn't seem to sign off properly before shutting down. I know because when I turn on again and sign in with a different user, task manager shows the previous user as still signed on (but "disconnected"). Yet,...
  6. Windows 10 Keep Randomly Shutting My Computer Down To Sign Out

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Keep Randomly Shutting My Computer Down To Sign Out: I have had my computer for a few months and it just started randomly restarting to sign out. This happens at least every day, 1-2 times probably. I'm not sure why this is happening as I haven't downloaded anything or gone to weird websites in this time. I ran a malware scan...
  7. My laptop fully shuts down/signs me out when i shut it

My laptop fully shuts down/signs me out when i shut it: My laptop fully shuts down when i shut its lid/screen... is there anyway to fix it? Model : X441BA Asus computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-fully-shuts-downsigns-me-out-when-i-shut/9d6407e3-5227-4393-a170-704e5e3135b2
  8. Windows 10 Locking when going Shutting down, Restarting or Signing out.

Windows 10 Locking when going Shutting down, Restarting or Signing out.: Currently i'm testing 1903 Build 18362.267. When i'm shutting down, restarting or sign out the computer it brings me to the lock screen (equal to pressing Windows icon + L). When i do this on an account that has to use Ivanti workspace it locks the session while Ivanti is...
  9. Signed in automatically after signing out (without shutting down)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Signed in automatically after signing out (without shutting down): I have a number of standard window users without passwords. Sometimes when I use the sign-out option, the account is signed out but then automatically signs in again. Usually this only happens once but sometimes it repeats a second time. The accounts are local accounts. Any...
  10. Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10: How to: Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 When apps (tasks) do not end (close) automatically when you are HungAppTimeout) by default before the End...