Windows 10: Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time

Discus and support Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi ALL,have a Dell Latitude 7420. From the beginning it has an issue is with sleep/hibernate mode. It goes to sleep/hibernate mode only once after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AlekseyMokhov, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time

Hi ALL,have a Dell Latitude 7420. From the beginning it has an issue is with sleep/hibernate mode. It goes to sleep/hibernate mode only once after reboot.For the second attempt screen turns off, the fan is starts working faster, and after 20-30 sec gets the maximum performance. I tried everything proposed by DELL Support service even replaced MB - nothing helped.- BIOS version 1.16.1 latest one;- BIOS doesn’t have “USB Wake Support” and Disable “Deep Sleep Control” options;- Fast Startup option in Power menu disabled;- Disconnection any type of external device like mouse didn’t solve t

:)

AlekseyMokhov, Jun 20, 2022
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

From now on i will use the Hybrid sleep mode and let's hope it works as it should.

Knoxx29, Jun 20, 2022
  3. Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

Make sure your batteries are good. They need to be regularly replaced every 3 - 5 years. Weak batteries make for an unreliable UPS. *Frown Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time :( But new batteries are cheaper than a whole new UPS.

Totally disagree with that! No way sleep affects performance. As for stability, on rare occasions, a computer will not properly come out of sleep. Typically a simple reboot resolves that. But once a computer boots properly, sleep mode does not interfere.

Sleep mode is nothing new. Microsoft and the applicable hardware makers have had over 20 years to sort problems out.
    Sorry, but that makes no sense. First, hibernation was indeed developed for notebooks - so when you close the lid, you can resume exactly where you left off. Yes, you can use hibernation with a PC and you can use hybrid mode on a notebook But hybrid mode was developed for the PC.

Second, if a user suffers from frequent blackouts they should definitely be using a good UPS with AVR. Note I've lived in Tornado Alley for the last 28 years so I have some experience with that. But more importantly, if a user suffers from frequent blackouts and they don't use an UPS, they should be saving their work and "gracefully" shutdown the computer, not put it in sleep mode.

Lastly, hybrid mode is called hybrid mode because it is just that, a mixture of modes. In hybrid mode, data stays in RAM (in a low voltage state) for faster wake times. But in hybrid mode, a full hibernation file is also created in case the user (or Mother Nature) decides to remove power completely.

Newer versions of Windows are not XP. So true, there is no need to reboot Windows just because it has been awhile since the last reboot. I only reboot my 6 W10 systems when some Windows Update or security program update requires it.

Memory leaks should not be part of this discussion. Those are faults and exceptions, and very rare. Exceptions don't make the rule. If a program is that buggy, get rid of the program.

As for things left in memory, as I noted above data is indeed left in memory to speed up wake times from sleep mode. Remember, unless you unplug the computer from the wall (or flip the master power switch on the back of the PSU - if it has one) your PC is in "Standby mode" and +5Vsb standby voltage is being distributed to multiple points across the motherboard.

If you terminate a program, that memory space is freed up. But if you keep, for example, a Word document open and allow your computer to sleep, some of that data will be retained in RAM for quicker wakes.

See Fred Langa, Is Data Safe in Sleep/Standby/Suspend Mode?

Bill_Bright, Jun 20, 2022
  4. Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

I'm starting to lose track of what we're disagreeing on. I can't say what was on the mind of whoever designed the technique in the past, but today it is a tool available to any supporting platform where the users need it. Hybrid sleep is functionally a suspension to disk without clearing the ram, at its core it is a hibernation. Arguing which method is for which platform is -with all due respect- a waste of time. I would agree to the argument that Hybrid sleep is more versatile than simple hibernation, though, but that doesn't make hibernation a non valid method of suspension on desktops. And if someone intended for long down-times or expected power loss, the differences between hibernation and hybrid sleep become inexistent.

For the frequent blackouts part, we have to consider the scope of the issue here: whoever opts to use any suspension method, hibernation, sleep or hybrid sleep, does so explicitly to avoid shutting down the computer (for whichever reason they wanted). Anecdotal example: I'm off to work in the morning, but I do not want to close all the software and web pages I have open (and they can be many) and restart them later, so I have the choice of either sleep or hibernate (or hybrid methods), but with any S state less than 4, I run the risk of a blackout forcing me to what I avoided shutting down for, so I elect to use hibernation (or hybrid sleep, of which the hibernation part is what's needed).

A UPS is indeed a must have, but alas, not all of us live in the first world!

VRAM isn't wiped post-wake up, per se. The only way to wipe the entire memory is relieving if of power. Hibernation does have that effect in the suspension process (going into hibernation), upon waking up it repopulates the memory with what was occupying it before turning off (though I don't know if it was actually this simple).
    What was I referring to in my previous post is Windows' memory manager's functionality. When a process is closed (eg: Alt+F4ed the main window, killed in task manager, etc), all its memory heap is then freed up for other processes to use. So, any memory that is used when a computer wakes is for actually running processes, waking up won't reserve memory for anything else (other than hardware, I guess?)

Computers can be weird. I once had a recurring issue with Microsoft's Security Essential where it starts eating up all my ram after waking up from sleep. And I'm talking about 20GB of physical memory! Still don't know what caused that bug though. Couldn't reproduce it in later Windows installations on the same hardware either.
    And don't get me even started on those cheap Chinese hardware!

Shihabyooo, Jun 20, 2022
Thema:

Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time

1. Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time - Similar Threads - sleep hibernate mode

2. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  3. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  4. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time

Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time: Hi ALL,have a Dell Latitude 7420. From the beginning it has an issue is with sleep/hibernate mode. It goes to sleep/hibernate mode only once after reboot.For the second attempt screen turns off, the fan is starts working faster, and after 20-30 sec gets the maximum...
  6. Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - sleep/hibernate mode works only one time: Hi ALL,have a Dell Latitude 7420. From the beginning it has an issue is with sleep/hibernate mode. It goes to sleep/hibernate mode only once after reboot.For the second attempt screen turns off, the fan is starts working faster, and after 20-30 sec gets the maximum...
  7. Hibernate mode only trigger sleep mode

Hibernate mode only trigger sleep mode: ***moved on english forum***Hi, Sometimes, when I try to activate the hibernation mode for my computer, it only triggers the sleep mode : when I move the mouse it switches on the screen.It happens when/after charging up.Can you help me ?Thanks for your answer,ClementPS : here...
  8. sleep mode -hibernation mode-wakening

sleep mode -hibernation mode-wakening: Hello. I have a question/query .Why with hibernation mode my laptop wake up ''only from me'' and only if i touch power button and with sleep mode wake up itself?I now about task scheduler and that are many programs that are running at specific hours i see many processes like...
  9. Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode: Whether it's sleep mode or hibernate my laptop will turn itself back on and sit there and run until it times out and goes back to sleep. Sometimes it comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. Sometimes I'll come home and it is on and running. I've tried many different...
  10. Sleep and hibernate modes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sleep and hibernate modes: When I put my computer into either sleep mode or hibernate, the apps are closed down after a certain amount of time, making these modes useless. Is there a fix for this?...