Windows 10: Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition

Discus and support Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I am a new user in this forum but have been reading it for years. I have an interesting observation to share and to seek some advice. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gss, Apr 22, 2020.

1. GSS
    gss Win User

Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition

Hi, I am a new user in this forum but have been reading it for years.
    I have an interesting observation to share and to seek some advice.
    I experimented with two laptops: Lenovo X220 (rather old one) and Samsung notebook NB9 (2019). Both run Windows 10 1909 version.
    I set each of these machines to hibernate after certain time after sleep if on battery and never hibernate if on AC and watch how the transition from sleep to hibernate happens.
    1. Both machines are on battery power. Both behave the same: after the sleep time is up, laptop wakes very briefly (screen stays off but some indicators blink - this is how I know it woke up) and then hibernate. This is as expected.
    2. Both machines are on battery. After I put them into sleep, I plug in the AC adapter. This is quite a typical scenario for using laptop and then connecting to a charger. Now the behavior for sleep-hibernate transition is very different.
    Lenovo laptop: briefly wakes from sleep at the scheduled time, and then goes back to sleep. Smart and very much desired behavior: the machine recognized AC power and did not hibernate as per the AC power plan.
    Samsung Notebook 9: briefly wakes up and hibernates. It did not see the AC power while awaken. Kind of stupid. I don't need it to hibernate if AC power is available and there is no risk of discharging the battery.

Can anybody comment on why the difference? Is there any way to change this behavior to the type Lenovo has?

Thanks,

:)

2. PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate

Hello,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my laptop will not properly transition from sleep to hibernate mode automatically. The Hibernate function itself works just fine - I can activate it from the Start menu successfully. Also, it seems there is a relation
    to how long I set the wait period in the Power Plan settings. The laptop has consistently transitioned from S3 to S4 if I set the timeout period to 20 minutes or less. However, if I set the time to something closer to 30 minutes or greater, the laptop will
    wake from S3, but the display will light up and the laptop will NOT transition to Hibernate automatically. Instead, it stays awake until it reaches S3 timeout to go back to sleep.

I have run powercfg /systempowerreport and noticed there is a distinct difference between when the laptop successfully transitions to Hibernate, and when it does not.

• When it transitions successfully, the S3 Exit event is S4 Doze to Hibernate
    • When it does NOT transition successfully, the S3 Exit event is Device - ACPI Wake Alarm

I have tried creating new Power Plans, have updated my drivers, have the latest BIOS and EC firmware available for my laptop (MSI GS75), but cannot figure out this issue.

What could be causing this issue?

SuperToast92, Apr 22, 2020
  3. S_and_S Win User
    PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate

I don't see how a computer can transition from sleep (S3) to hibernate (S4) since hibernation stores the contents of RAM to disk and sleep doesn't maintain the contents of RAM. When attempting to transition directly from S3 to S4 the computer will be asking
    itself 'where did the contents of RAM go?'

For the same reason, I don't see the point of transitioning directly from sleep to hibernate. Since there's nothing in RAM to save to disk at that point, there's no practical difference between S3 and S4, yet the computer still has to save (and later re-load)
    a hibernation file.

S_and_S, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition

Windows 10 sleep to hibernation failure

The computer is a HP Spectre X2 on Windows 10. It is up to date for both Windows and HP drivers. It can be put to sleep OK. It can also be put into hibernation OK.

The problem is that it drains the battery within a few hours after Windows transitions from sleep to hibernation via the "hibernate after x minutes" setting. Whatever is happening it is not logged by powercfg.

Battery is good and actually the drain during on time is likely slower than after a transition from sleep to "hibernation". This suggests that the machine is doing max cpu when it is supposed to have hibernated. In this state the machine is not responsive to
    power on and must be cold booted.

This setting used to work great. I have only started to rely on this setting again in the last week so but thinking back could explain unexpected battery depletions for a month or more.

Thanks for your help.

shifuoogway, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition

1. Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition - Similar Threads - sleep hibernate transition

2. Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate: I turned off all the wake timers I'm able to and for whatever reason my PC still wakes itself sometimes just for a moment before going back to sleep, and other times back on completely. I don't know what to do. I just want it to stay asleep when I ask it too....
  3. Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate: I turned off all the wake timers I'm able to and for whatever reason my PC still wakes itself sometimes just for a moment before going back to sleep, and other times back on completely. I don't know what to do. I just want it to stay asleep when I ask it too....
  4. Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 doesn't sleep / hibernate

Windows 10 doesn't sleep / hibernate: Please help. here are my settings: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-doesnt-sleep-hibernate/e3484313-ce0a-4040-9bb2-1c6d3547828f
  6. Windows 10 sleep or hibernation

Windows 10 sleep or hibernation: I'm having a very unusual problem when Windows 10 wakes out of a sleep or hibernation on it's own due probably to an application. On the display I get a few exception and system errors on various apps trying to open like System Mechanic and Malwarebytes, etc. After responding...
  7. Windows 10 sleep or hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sleep or hibernation: I'm having a very unusual problem when Windows 10 wakes out of a sleep or hibernation on it's own due probably to an application. On the display I get a few exception and system errors on various apps trying to open like System Mechanic and Malwarebytes, etc. After responding...
  8. Windows 10 sleep or hibernation

9. Windows 10 hibernates instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hibernates instead of sleeping: I have checked the advanced power options, and everything says that closing the lid and pressing power sleeps the laptop. But it hibernates instead. It doesn’t allow you to sleep it in the Start menu options either. This started happening after my laptop’s battery died. (it...
  10. PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate

PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate: Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my laptop will not properly transition from sleep to hibernate mode automatically. The Hibernate function itself works just fine - I can activate it from the Start menu successfully. Also, it seems there is a relation to how...