Windows 10: Windows 10 Sleep Issue - sleeps on fresh restart, but once I start loading apps won't sleep...

Discus and support Windows 10 Sleep Issue - sleeps on fresh restart, but once I start loading apps won't sleep... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Another Windows 10 sleep question/issue. Originally I had Windows 10 sleep issues so I disabled 3rd party apps during startup as well as some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Zipper Doyle, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Sleep Issue - sleeps on fresh restart, but once I start loading apps won't sleep...

Hello,

Another Windows 10 sleep question/issue. Originally I had Windows 10 sleep issues so I disabled 3rd party apps during startup as well as some of the services, which fixed it. When I start my computer for the first time without most 3rd party apps running my computer sleeps when idle as expected. Once I start loading Slack, Onedrive, Outlook, etc. the computer never goes to sleep again. Even if I close out the apps.

In device manager I made sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device" was checked and "Allow this device to wake computer" were unchecked on the Ethernet controller as I figured there may be some background processes causing the computer to stay awake.

Pulling my hair out on this one, anyone else have any recommendations. I've gone through the standard sleep things like resetting back to default power settings, allow to sleep during media share, etc.

Thanks,

ZD

:)

Zipper Doyle, Dec 9, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User

Windows won't boot back up from sleep

Check your power settings in the BIOS. Windows 7 sleep mode works fine. I wouldn't suggest disabling it. Why have your system sucking air and spinning drive if your not using it. I have seen some issues with some input devises not allowing the system to go to sleep. But Drone mentioned it

Jetster, Dec 9, 2020
  3. kn00tcn Win User
    Pc restart after exiting sleep mode

well if it works within 5min, sounds like it could be losing power

'restarts after exiting sleep mode' do you mean it acts like a fresh cold boot? or you see the windows logging off screens, then it restarts?

i never use sleep or hibernate, risk of losing the session & waste of hard drive space

kn00tcn, Dec 9, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 Sleep Issue - sleeps on fresh restart, but once I start loading apps won't sleep...

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Dec 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Sleep Issue - sleeps on fresh restart, but once I start loading apps won't sleep...

1. Windows 10 Sleep Issue - sleeps on fresh restart, but once I start loading apps won't sleep... - Similar Threads - Sleep Issue sleeps

2. Restart and Sleep issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart and Sleep issues: Hello, I have just installed the latest update of windows 11 just couple of days back....ever since my laptop has started encountering display when issues that the display doesn't gets on when laptop put to sleep...it wakes up but doesn't shows the display and same is the...
  3. Restart and Sleep issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart and Sleep issues: Hello, I have just installed the latest update of windows 11 just couple of days back....ever since my laptop has started encountering display when issues that the display doesn't gets on when laptop put to sleep...it wakes up but doesn't shows the display and same is the...
  4. Sleep restart issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep restart issue: Hello,I am having an odd issue that I cannot find anything about in forums or whether it is just a new setting MS have forced.the issue: After laptop has been sleep, on waking using open lid or any key to wake, the laptop seems to go through an almost full restart in that the...
  5. Sleep restart issue

Sleep restart issue: Hello,I am having an odd issue that I cannot find anything about in forums or whether it is just a new setting MS have forced.the issue: After laptop has been sleep, on waking using open lid or any key to wake, the laptop seems to go through an almost full restart in that the...
  6. Sleep restart issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Sleep restart issue

8. Windows 10 won't sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't sleep.: Installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on my legacy Z77/core i5 build and I can't for the life of me get sleep to work. I have searched high and low, wide and far for a solution. I have spent countless hours wracking my brain with no true answers. I'm using Windows 10 pro with...
  9. Windows sleeps only once

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows sleeps only once: Hoping people here can help me with an odd sleep issue I am having. System is Win 10 Home 1909, MSI B450-A Pro Max, Ryzen 5 3600, using 1usmus Ryzen Power Plan. The system will go to sleep ONCE and only once. After I wake it, it will attempt to sleep (does not enter low-power...
  10. Won't sleep issue - Solved!

in Windows 10 Support
    Won't sleep issue - Solved!: For those of us that use a RealTek sound chipset on a motherboard, there is an issue when using the Line In port. If you enable this feature, this will prevent your PC from going to sleep. Here is a screenshot of the port enabled, showing the stream is prevent sleep:...