Windows 10: Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power

Discus and support Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Okay - I have noticed that sleep mode in windows 10 consumes massive amount of power ( around 30%-35% of the battery per day). At first I attributed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DA_88, Mar 15, 2019.

1. DA_88 Win User

Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power

Okay - I have noticed that sleep mode in windows 10 consumes massive amount of power ( around 30%-35% of the battery per day). At first I attributed this to hardware, but now that I have three different 2in1's (Asus Zenbook, Dell 5290 , and Surface Pro) all brand new hardware with windows 10 which all exhibit the same behavior.

I went back to my old surface Pro from 4 years ago with window 8 and when I put it sleep, it consumes maybe 1% nothing over night. In fact, I put it to sleep and woke it after 2 weeks it had only consumed 20%. It had 80% of its battery life left.

I have yet to figure out what is going on... Two of these laptops are AD with Policy and one is straight up vanilla so it can't be that. I've turned on and off the connect to network when on WiFI, and that hasn't made a difference.

My Pixel2 XL and Moto G6 will run for nearly 6 days while running and connecting to both WiFI and cellular. These laptops have much bigger batteries.

The only power that should be used is to maintain memory and operate the clock (maybe a something in the BIOS to wake up and switch sleep to off in the OS). Nothing should consume the kind of power that would reduce limit battery life to 3 days while in sleep mode exhibited by all three different windows 10 devices.

So does anyone know what is going ....?
    - Is there some sort of setting that none of us are aware of?

- Does turning off the wifi while in sleep mode just not work with windows 10?

- Something that none of us have thought of?

:)

DA_88, Mar 15, 2019

2. sleep mode and power options not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

For issues with sleep mode and power options follow the steps provided below.

Run the Power troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in search and click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Now type Power in the search option.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter to run.

I would suggest you to try updating the Display driver and check if the issue persists. If you already have all the latest drivers from Windows updates, then I would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's website, download and install the latest
    drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Hope this helps.

Anish A Kumar, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Sleep mode no longer function on display power?

Hi,

Thank you for posting to our Microsoft Community.

Please follow the below methods and check if it works,

Method 1: Power Troubleshoot.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with power. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Power.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.
    Method 2:

Please let us know whether you are able to see the sleep mode options by referring the following steps

1. In Search bar type Control panel

2. Select Power options

3. In power saver select change power settings and after that
    select Change advanced power settings in that check whether you can see the
    sleep mode.

Also refer the below link,

Power plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Reply us if you have further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power

Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power

1. Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power - Similar Threads - sleep mode consumes

2. DNS client consumes ridicilous amount of CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS client consumes ridicilous amount of CPU: I have Ryzen 9 5900X and DNS Client is consuming 5% of the CPU doing nothing.It starts to do this after it has been resumed from sleep X amount of times. Also during this explorer becomes unstable and can not load for example Downloads, Quickstart, Documents or network...
  3. DNS client consumes ridicilous amount of CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DNS client consumes ridicilous amount of CPU: I have Ryzen 9 5900X and DNS Client is consuming 5% of the CPU doing nothing.It starts to do this after it has been resumed from sleep X amount of times. Also during this explorer becomes unstable and can not load for example Downloads, Quickstart, Documents or network...
  4. DNS client consumes ridicilous amount of CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. dwm.exe using a massive amount of ram

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    dwm.exe using a massive amount of ram: [IMG] Just using Windows normally, then saw this process using a massive amount of ram. Previously it was just lower than 300mb at most times. Any help please? These are my specifications: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHzInstalled RAM: 20.0 GB...
  6. Windows 10 Desktop Sleep Mode in Power Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Desktop Sleep Mode in Power Settings: I have my system set up to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes. Until recently, this worked fine except instances where my browser might have a page loaded that prevented the sleep mode from activating. Now, even without a browser or application loaded my system fails to...
  7. Massive amounts of C++ Visual Redistributable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Massive amounts of C++ Visual Redistributable: Hello, I have recently wanted to install a program to film cinematic shots in a video game. For this program to work I need to install these dependencies: .NET Framework 4.5.2 Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2017 x64-version Problem is, when I try to install them...
  8. Lost massive amount of data in update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost massive amount of data in update: I lost a large number of documents and all of my bookmarks after my computer randomly updated and I really need help fixing this. I'm honestly panicing right now because of this. submitted by /u/BlackHeartMage [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update: Let me start with this: I don't expect this issue to be resolved. I do want to share my frustrations. I have been a Microsoft-camp user since MS-DOS 5.0, through Windows 3.11, 95, Me, XP, 7, and now 10. I have generally avoided Apple because of their closed garden that...
  10. SYSTEM is consuming huge amount of data on internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SYSTEM is consuming huge amount of data on internet: Good Afternoon! Recently, I bought a second hand laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed to it. Here are some details regarding my OS: Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1703 OS Build: 15063.11 System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor I noticed however,...