Windows 10: Windows 10 - Sleep Works But Only if 5 Minutes or Less

Discus and support Windows 10 - Sleep Works But Only if 5 Minutes or Less in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As subject says. On Windows 10 (1909) sleep works reliably but only if configured at 5 minutes or less. Configure to 10 minutes will work, but rarely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by whoareyou2014, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - Sleep Works But Only if 5 Minutes or Less

As subject says.

On Windows 10 (1909) sleep works reliably but only if configured at 5 minutes or less.
    Configure to 10 minutes will work, but rarely and very unreliably.

I've tried pretty much everything, but something takes computer out of idle after approximately 5 minutes. I can't find it.

Over time, via trial and error, I've pretty much tried everything I can think of.

Please offer suggestions of how to resolve this. I'm out of drivers, services, tasks, programs, etc. that can be disabled on a trial basis for troubleshooting.

What I really need is a tool that will show me what is starting up after 5 minutes.

This isn't the biggest deal, as 5 minutes isn't horrible, but it's annoying at minimum.

Suggestions are welcome. If I tried it already I'll know it's not the solution for me. Thanks!

:)

whoareyou2014, Nov 17, 2019

2. Screens Sleeping after 5 minutes?

Hello all. I am stuck. We have a user at my place of work who we upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After the upgrade she noticed that now if she is inactive for 5 minutes her screens will go to sleep. The problem with this is that when the screens sleep, the computer is locked. This forces her to log back in every time. Not MAJOR but rather annoying to say the least.

We have a group policy that says after 15 minutes of activity the screens should go to sleep. For everyone else including myself, this works. Most others as well as myself are also running Windows 10. We have checked to make sure she is getting the group policies and she most definitely is.

Other things I have tried:

Restoring defaults to the power options
    Checked the timeout settings in the registry, they were set at 900 seconds. (15 minutes)

Not sure what else to try. I am sure I am missing a couple of things I have tried.

satindemon4u, Nov 17, 2019
  3. Gina7348 Win User
    Windows goes to sleep after 5 minutes

So recently my computer has started to go to sleep after about 5 minutes of inactivity. I've looked everywhere and have tried everything but nothing seems to work. Here's a list of what I've tried.

• Running troubleshooting on power settings.
    • Running regedit and going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0 and changing the attributes to 2. Then
      going into the advanced power setting and changing the Sleep unattended sleep timeout from 2 minutes to 60.
    • Resetting power settings to default.
    • Changing the power and sleep buttons to do nothing.
    • Unplugging all USB devices.
    • Changing the screensaver to 60 minutes even though I don't have a screensaver.
    • Changing power setting to high performance.

If anyone has any other solutions I would greatly appreciate the help.

Gina7348, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Windows 10 - Sleep Works But Only if 5 Minutes or Less

My pc is going to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity

Hi Sebastian,

Your PC might be set to sleep once it is idle for 5mins. For you to adjust this setting, we suggest looking into the
    Power Options advanced settings. Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click on Power Options.
    • On your Preferred plans, click Change plan settings.
    • Click Change advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep and System unattended sleep timeout.
    • Set how many minutes you want your system to be left idle before it goes to sleep.

Let us know how it turns out.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Sleep Works But Only if 5 Minutes or Less

1. Windows 10 - Sleep Works But Only if 5 Minutes or Less - Similar Threads - Sleep Works Minutes

2. Internet working for 5 minutes then cutting out.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet working for 5 minutes then cutting out.: My laptop this week has started to act up, whenever I start my laptop up it works as usual. The internet and everything works fine until about 3-7 minutes later where my internet just goes to nothing. submitted by /u/RedsRepublic [link] [comments]...
  3. Windows 10 Sleep timer resets to 5 minutes turn off display and 10 minutes sleep when...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Sleep timer resets to 5 minutes turn off display and 10 minutes sleep when...: Every time the computer turns off the display, sleep timers reset to 5 minutes 10 minutes. Help pls? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sleep-timer-resets-to-5-minutes-turn/f7bd7559-515a-4bf9-80fd-41e4bae3aa83
  4. Windows goes to sleep after 5 minutes

Windows goes to sleep after 5 minutes: So recently my computer has started to go to sleep after about 5 minutes of inactivity. I've looked everywhere and have tried everything but nothing seems to work. Here's a list of what I've tried. Running troubleshooting on power settings. Running regedit and going to...
  5. System goes to sleep after 5 minutes

System goes to sleep after 5 minutes: ***Modify title from: Sleep*** My HP laptop goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes, even when plugged in. In settings the screen is set to go off in 30 minutes and it is set to sleep after 5 hours when plugged in....
  6. BSOD only when playing games for abot 5-10 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD only when playing games for abot 5-10 minutes: Hello, I am having this problem with my computer, where i am getting random BSOD's when i have been playing any game for about 5-10 minutes. The BSOD is either the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or the APC_INDEX_MISMATCH I have attached my debug files here Attachment 39009 I...
  7. BSOD within 5 minutes of waking up Windows from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD within 5 minutes of waking up Windows from sleep: I get a BSOD whenever I come back to my computer and wake it up. But if I haven't let the computer go to sleep it keeps going as long as I have been able to observe. The BSOD message/error code isn't consistent. Note: Video drivers are tricky cause AMD stopped supporting...
  8. USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes still

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes still: I can't believe that after a year and a half still Microsoft will not fix the USB drive sleep problem. I use an external Raid box with 4 HDs. It takes about a minute to awake after the Windows 10 boat anchor puts it to sleep. When I am working on a file I probably save about...
  9. USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes: I am astounded that Microsoft won't let us choose whether or not our USB drive goes to sleep. It sleeps in less than 3.5 minutes. I'm working on a file, and every time I want to save changes I have to wait for the drive to spin up before I can continue. It's like being back...
  10. Windows 10 restarts every 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 restarts every 5 minutes: Currently using a 2007 Alienware went from windows vista to windows 10 32bit and change the processor core 2 duo 2.33ghz to core 2 extreme 3.0 ghz motherboard xfx nforce 680i sli graphics card geforce 480 gtx 6gb ram installed a 1tb hard drive I'm not sure how to fix...