Windows 10: Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor

Discus and support Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, My Asus laptop goes into sleep mode after 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity when I plug in a second monitor with an HDMI cable. This happens while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AyseK, Dec 6, 2018.

1. AyseK Win User

Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor

Hello,

My Asus laptop goes into sleep mode after 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity when I plug in a second monitor with an HDMI cable. This happens while I'm reading or even when there is a video playing in the background. I have checked all the power settings about what Windows does when I close the lid, and made sure it does not hibernate or sleep when plugged in. I have tried resetting the power plans to default, with no effect.

I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

:)

AyseK, Dec 6, 2018
  2. Rhina Vib Win User

Windows 10 - Not Detecting Second Monitor

Hi Aidan,

To help resolve this issue, you can follow the steps below:

• Remove the connector at the monitor end.
    • Turn your computer off.
    • Reboot and let it do it's "housekeeping" for 2-3 minutes.
    • Plug the cable in the monitor and turn the monitor on.
    • If it does not come back up, check with the maker of your system/display card for any updated Windows 10 drivers.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to reach out and we'll be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Dec 6, 2018
  3. rnardone Win User
    Sleep settings are ignored, defaults to 2 minutes.

My Windows 10 laptop continues to sleep after 2 minutes regardless of the power settings. Many people have mentioned this exact same issue and are given multiple things to try. Then the issue gets marked as answered without any real solution.

My PC Setup:

• Dell Latitude E7440 (Windows 10, Upgraded from 8.1 more than 6 months ago.)
    • Docked using a Dell E-Series Dock
    • Dual AOC e2343FX monitors
    Issue:

PC goes to sleep after 2 minutes regardless of the power settings. It is not just turning the monitors off, it's actually going to Sleep. Today I was working on a resume and cover letter. I would write the cover letter and then read it back to myself to
    check the grammar and language, The PC would go into sleep mode during this process. It drives my nuts that I have to login to my PC every 2 minutes even though I'm actively using it.

Troubleshooting:

I ran the Control Panel "Troubleshoot problems" feature (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\System and Security: Power). The troubleshooter runs and displays:

Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor f3bb167b-aac5-4a2b-95ed-d6c425132f11.jpg

Then:

Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor 93be3632-9802-4c45-b5fc-3c917a6f1917.jpg

What actually happened:

• Power plan was changed from "High performance" to "Balanced (recommended)" *Troubleshooter message says the opposite.
      • On Battery:
        • Sleep after 30 minutes changed to 15 minutes.
      • Plugged in:
        • Sleep after 1 hour changed to 30 minutes.
    The troubleshooter stated "Time before computer goes to sleep is too long" so why do the dropdowns allow for up to 5 hours? Why, when I make any allowable change does the sleep settings default to 2 minutes regardless of the setting? Also, why does Microsoft
    offer multiple power plans and configuration options when they are just going to force you to "Use a more efficient plan"?

I have had Windows 10 for 6+ months now. This issue just started happening a couple of weeks ago. Nothing but Windows updates have been installed since before this started happening.

rnardone, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor

Windows 10 (sometimes) goes to sleep after only 2 minutes of inactivity

Hello Mark,

Your screensaver might be one of the possible reasons why your computer goes to sleep every time the computer is inactive. It is possible that the idle time is set every 2 minutes. Having said that, you can try adjusting the waiting time by following the
    steps below and see if it makes any difference:

• Go to Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization.
    • Select Personalization.
    • Click on Screen Saver at the bottom right.
    • Adjust the waiting time and hit Apply.

If the issue persists, we recommend trying the suggestions posted by Aleksandr 10 in this
    thread. Most of the Community users found his suggestions
    helpful.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor

1. Windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes when I plug in second monitor - Similar Threads - sleeps minutes plug

2. Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...: i dont waht really going on. when my second montiro turn off and didnt connect to power source . my leptop detected the second monitor [ATTACH] but the name Generic PnP Monitor not the monitor type. and then i plug the monitor to power resource, the windows wont recognize...
  3. Laptop locks after 30 seconds when plugged into a monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop locks after 30 seconds when plugged into a monitor: I will literally give gold to anyone who can solve this problem, it's so annoying and no one's been able to solve it yet. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad and it's running Windows 10 Pro. For some reason, when it's plugged into a monitor, after 30 seconds of inactivity my screen...
  4. Computer not sleeping with second monitor plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer not sleeping with second monitor plugged in: I was hoping someone might be able to shed some like on a weird quirk that I have been having and I can not for the life of me figure out how to solve this. I have a Radeon RX 570 graphics card that I run 2 monitors off of. My main display seems to function just fine where as...
  5. display sleeps after 2 minutes

display sleeps after 2 minutes: All hibernation and sleep settings set to NEVER Hard disc set to 360 minutes and still my display closes after 2 minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-sleeps-after-2-minutes/d3eb9eec-7064-4cf2-a7dd-6739cb877ffd
  6. After waking from Sleep, Monitor Shuts off after 2 minutes of inactivity

After waking from Sleep, Monitor Shuts off after 2 minutes of inactivity: My power options are set to NEVER NEVER NEVER... but when I wake my computer from sleep the Monitor will shut off after 2 or 3 minutes and I have to log in from screen lock to continue reading or working. Its very annoying... I eventually just reboot the system and then...
  7. monitor sleeps after 10 minutes

monitor sleeps after 10 minutes: so i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 the other day (clean install) and my monitors go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity i have my screen and computer set to never sleep everything is set to never no screensaver i have set system unattended sleep to never (ive set...
  8. Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???

in Windows 10 Support
    Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???: Although set to sleep after an hour while on power, it goes to sleep after 2 minutes. Before the Win 10 upgrade, whatever I set power conservation at was what the laptop followed. Never had any problems until now... Any thoughts? Thanks, Bruce 43893
  9. Laptop goes to sleep after 2 minutes while plugged in

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop goes to sleep after 2 minutes while plugged in: Hello, I have a Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK, with Windows 10 currently installed. I've recently been annoyed by the following occurrence: while my laptop is plugged in and I stop using it (moving mouse, typing keys, etc), my laptop puts itself to sleep after 2 minutes and 15...
  10. Sleep mode every 2 minutes when plugged in

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode every 2 minutes when plugged in: The laptop is going to sleep every 2-3 minutes while plugged in. The power settings for sleep are 1 hour on battery and 1 hour when plugged in. The screen saver is set to None. This is a relatively new behavior, did not have this problem when first upgraded to Win 10 from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor sleeps after 2 minutes

2. my laptop sleeps after 2 minutes

3. omen sleeps after 2 minutes

4. t480s sleeps after 2 minutes