Windows 10: Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag

Discus and support Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been using "Slideshow" for my desktop background for quite some time, but for some months now it's felt like this issue has gotten much worse. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AustinGatlin, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag

I've been using "Slideshow" for my desktop background for quite some time, but for some months now it's felt like this issue has gotten much worse. I use a folder of not even 50 images (Planned to add more to it) to cycle through. Recently I got all SSD, more RAM, and better CPU cooling, and the whole PC cleaned, including a fresh install of Windows 10. I thought it might go away but it still persists.

I have 3 monitors, all hooked up to the same 1080ti. The only odd one is a 720p TV that I use as a "Monitor" for now. The other 2 are 1920x1080. This issue only goes away if I make the background a single image. I can confirm that the slideshow is the issue as I would watch "Task Manager" graphs during the slideshow. Every single time one of the pictures changed, CPU usage spiked to 100% and the mouse would jitter as I moved it, the video I watch would skip some frames, and response to any input is also delayed.

As a gamer and streamer, this can be quite frustrating as the lag spikes can and have happened at the MOST inopportune time. I realize that people have had this similar issue before, but I have yet to find a solid and perfect solution to this, where the end result is being able to use "Slideshow" without any problem.

Thank you for reading.

:)

AustinGatlin, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Jose Est Win User

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag

windows 10 lock screen slideshow timing...

Hello Andrew,

I understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps. Refer to the below steps:

• Type Lock screen in the search bar and press enter

• Select Advanced Slideshow settings

• Click on Turn off screen after slideshow has played for and select the time limit
    Let us know if you need more information and we'll be happy to assist.

Arul_D, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag

1. Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag - Similar Threads - Slideshow causing major

2. Windows updates causing system lag.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updates causing system lag.: Windows 11 ProLatest updates installedDrivers up to date32gb RAMI7-9700kOS installed on SSD with at least 300gb free spacePC will lag/become unresponsive at seemingly random time for a few seconds, sometimes longer.-any video/audio playing will continue -gameplay will...
  3. Windows updates causing system lag.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updates causing system lag.: Windows 11 ProLatest updates installedDrivers up to date32gb RAMI7-9700kOS installed on SSD with at least 300gb free spacePC will lag/become unresponsive at seemingly random time for a few seconds, sometimes longer.-any video/audio playing will continue -gameplay will...
  4. slideshow wallpaper causes lag in games

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    slideshow wallpaper causes lag in games: i have a quad monitor setup and plenty of wallpapers and everytime the wallpaper changes it causes a giant lag in games , i have a 5700xt and a 3900x so im pretty sure i have plenty of power for all of those wallpaper changes while playing Guitar hero,RDR2 or valorant...
  5. System lagging in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System lagging in Windows 10: I'm using Windows 10, just installed yesterday and facing the problem even after update. My system lagging while using touchpad or mouse, even played a video and tested and also when system start the spinning white color load also lag....
  6. Dual monitor slideshow causing lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor slideshow causing lag: Windows stutters for a bit when wallpaper changes. Extremely irritating in games. I have slideshow enabled, which pulls wallpapers from a folder with ~100 wallpapers for both screens. I've searched the internet through and through, but wasn't able to find a fix. Wallpaper...
  7. Major Windows 10 Slowness/Lagging and Outages Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Major Windows 10 Slowness/Lagging and Outages Issues: Hello, For the past 2 months, I've been facing the following issues (associated with an unusually and overly noisy hard drive) : _General slowness or lagging when turning on the computer, opening a session or a folder or a file to the point. As a result I had no other...
  8. Changing system volume causes extreme lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Changing system volume causes extreme lag: Hey everyone, For some reason over the last week or so I've been having this weird problem that I've never seen before. As the title says, any time I adjust my volume it causes my entire system to lag terribly until a few seconds after the volume bar/media display...
  9. Windows 10 latest major update causing major restart, shutdown, and network issues.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 latest major update causing major restart, shutdown, and network issues.: Since the last major update a few weeks ago, my 1 year old computer that has NEVER had any of the following issues prior to this update is plagued by: Won't shut down properly. Hangs - Have to force shutdown with power button. Won't restart properly. Hangs - Have to...
  10. Recent update in Windows 10 caused major problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent update in Windows 10 caused major problems: I upgraded to windows 10 and for a couiple of days everything was fine then i had an automatic update and thats when my problems started. I know one of the reasons Windows 10 is free is to get everyone on Windows Edge the stupid thing is since the update i cant get on Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop slideshow causing lag spikes

2. windows 10 slideshow causing system freeze