Windows 10: Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

Discus and support Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How can a bug report be submitted to Microsoft to fix the issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MisterFlamp, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

How can a bug report be submitted to Microsoft to fix the issue mentioned?https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-wallpaper-slideshow-performance-penalty/4d45d338-207c-47e2-87c5-82a8213e2227I have been running into this bug that SEVERELY impacted every full screen game I have attempted to play.For example here's my system specs:ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PlusRyzen 9 595032 GB G.Skill Z Royal 4000 MHZ DRAM3080 FE GPU1200W Super Flower Platinum PSUWindows 10 21H1 latest build: 19043.1288I saw the "micro-stutters" every 1 minute; I correlated the perf degradation every minute v

:)

MisterFlamp, Oct 18, 2021

2. Windows 10 Wallpaper Slideshow Performance Penalty

So I've spent the better part of 3 weeks trying to diagnose a performance issue on my wife's PC.

The Problem

PC Gaming is important to her and having consistent performance while playing her MMO is absolutely critical.

Recently, I decided to be nice and liven up her background with a rotation of wallpapers of her favorite fandom. You'd never think something as simple as a wallpaper slideshow would impact her ability to game but you'd be dead wrong.
    Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty f6e7453e-3059-4d4d-a420-cb5e8cdc2fad?upload=true.jpg

You will notice a ticking every minute. Those ticks cost about 15 FPS and would also result in input latency.

Her build

CPU: Ryzen 1600

MOBO: ASUS ROG B350-F

RAM: GSkill 2x8GB @ 3200Mhz CL16

GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

PSU: 650W Corsair CX650M

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 120

Win Ver: 2004

Troubleshooting

1. Updated Windows

2. Updated all drivers and software

3. Rechecked all physical connections to the MOBO

4. Ensured BIOS was up-to-date

5. Disabled overclock to rule out power issues

6. 2 re-installs of Windows. 1 refresh and 1 from install media

7. Installed chipset drivers

8. Adjusted power plan to Ultimate

9. Adjusted Nvidia performance settings

The Solution

I started to take notice of the 1-minute interval and googled my symptom until I noticed a few other Window Support thread mentioning the same issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsins...ring_and_lag_when_background_changes_in_1903/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e-minute/5bdb4103-95c4-4bb1-90b7-4dc5906e42d2https://www.reddit.com/r/Escapefrom...ows_slideshow_caused_my_game_to_stutter_once/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...g-spikes/0ab3e66e-bdfe-4411-aeb0-b4bcef04f251

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-usage-spikes-every-60-seconds.227636/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stem-lag/6b6f6966-8731-4135-92f4-47dfc87692c8

Upon disabling the slideshow I stopped seeing 'background ticking' within MSI Afterburner. My slideshow was set to change backgrounds ever 1 minute and that also coincided with my performance dips in-game or just background spikes
    at idle. Even my system with a 6600K OC'd to 4.6Ghz sees the idle CPU usage spike to nearly 100%. This issue supposedly has existed since version 1903 and has persisted since.

Ryan_R3000, Oct 18, 2021
  3. Photos slideshow

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable view the photos in slideshow as it repeats after few photos and need to know “How can I change this to show a continuous and non-repeating slideshow?”. We will help you to
    resolve this issue.

Please let us know,

• Where does the photos folder located?

• Did you try to change the folder location and check?

I suggest you to follow the below steps:

Step 1: If the photos folder is located on the desktop, try to create another folder and copy all the content to the newly created folder and add this folder for slideshow and check.

Step 2: Try to create new folder if different location and copy all the content to the newly created folder in different location and add this folder for slideshow and check.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 18, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

windows 10 lock screen slideshow timing...

Hello Andrew,

I understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps. Refer to the below steps:

• Type Lock screen in the search bar and press enter

• Select Advanced Slideshow settings

• Click on Turn off screen after slideshow has played for and select the time limit
    Let us know if you need more information and we'll be happy to assist.

Arul_D, Oct 18, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

1. Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty - Similar Threads - Slideshow Gaming HUGE

2. Huge performance problem after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Huge performance problem after windows 11 update: As the title says, i have been facing a huge performance downfall after the KB5034123, problems such as: Extremely low GPU usage only performs on benchmarks, nothing else, stuttering in every type of video player, such as YouTube, Disney+, etc. This is not a hardware issue as...
  3. Huge problem with performance on a new windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Huge problem with performance on a new windows 11 update: As the title says, i have been facing a huge performance downfall after the KB5034123, problems such as: Extremely low GPU usage only performs on benchmarks, nothing else, stuttering in every type of video player, such as YouTube, Disney+, etc. This is not a hardware issue as...
  4. Huge problem with performance on a new windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Huge problem with performance on a new windows 11 update: As the title says, i have been facing a huge performance downfall after the KB5034123, problems such as: Extremely low GPU usage only performs on benchmarks, nothing else, stuttering in every type of video player, such as YouTube, Disney+, etc. This is not a hardware issue as...
  5. Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty: How can a bug report be submitted to Microsoft to fix the issue mentioned?https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-wallpaper-slideshow-performance-penalty/4d45d338-207c-47e2-87c5-82a8213e2227I have been running into this bug that SEVERELY impacted...
  6. Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Slideshow Gaming HUGE performance penalty: How can a bug report be submitted to Microsoft to fix the issue mentioned?https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-wallpaper-slideshow-performance-penalty/4d45d338-207c-47e2-87c5-82a8213e2227I have been running into this bug that SEVERELY impacted...
  7. Huge performance drop after clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Huge performance drop after clean install of Windows 10: Hey guys. Last night I finally made the leap from windows 7 to windows 10. For the most part I'm not having any issues except for a massive drop of 30-50 frames in most games. I'm developing a game in Unreal Engine and my project would always run between 110-120 fps before...
  8. Performance for Gaming on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance for Gaming on Windows 10: I like to play Minecraft Java Edition and Minecraft Bedrock edition on windows 10. I have an old computer and do not have the money to get a new one, so I would like to know some ways I can improve performance. I have adjusted settings for performance over battery,...
  9. Windows 10 Wallpaper Slideshow Performance Penalty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Wallpaper Slideshow Performance Penalty: So I've spent the better part of 3 weeks trying to diagnose a performance issue on my wife's PC. The Problem PC Gaming is important to her and having consistent performance while playing her MMO is absolutely critical. Recently, I decided to be nice and liven up her...
  10. bitlocker performance penalty question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    bitlocker performance penalty question: I'm thinking about using bitlocker on my PC but I'm worried about an impact on performance. I'm using a Samsung Book2 which has a Snapdragon 850 processor, not Intel, 4gB of RAM and runs Windows 10S, yes the "S" version. Not sure if I'll see a significant decrease in...