Windows 10: Windows 10 slow and freezing up

Discus and support Windows 10 slow and freezing up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Why is Windows 10 freezing up and running abnormally slow recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by lmstater, Sep 8, 2018.

1. lmstater Win User

Windows 10 slow and freezing up

Why is Windows 10 freezing up and running abnormally slow recently

:)

lmstater, Sep 8, 2018
  2. Ronalene Mat Win User

Windows 10 slow and freezes

Hi,

Corrupted hard drive, too many backgrounds programs, outdated drivers, hardware conflicts, etc. are some of the reasons why a Windows computer is running slow and freezing. To isolate the issue, we'd like to know if you have made any recent changes on your
    device (e.g. installation of a software or program) before the issue started.

In the meantime, we suggest performing a clean boot. Refer to this thread and follow
    the steps given by SpiritX MS MVP to perform a clean boot.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Ronalene Mat, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Anil Madishetty Win User

Slow operation, crashes and freezing since windows 10

Hi Rakesh,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• What does it freezing? Is Internet Explorer freezing or computer is freezing?

• As you said that slow operation, what is running slow? Are you not able to open any files/applications?

• Does your PC hangs?
    I suggest you to check the issue in Safe Mode and see if it’s working slowly.

To enter Safe Mode in Windows 10:

• Restart your PC.
    • Press Shift + restart before the Windows logo appears.
    • Click See Advanced Repair Options.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options.
    • Click Windows Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.
    • You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode or
      Safe Mode with Networking (depending on whether you think you’ll need the Internet).
    Once you do get into safe mode, be sure to check all of your drivers for issues. To do that, press
    Windows Key + X and click Device Manager, and from that menu, get Windows to check all of your devices for updates. If driver updates are available, install them.

If the issue still persists, I suggest to restore the power plans to default.

To do so:

• Open Power options
      and go to advanced power settings.

• Select
      restore power plans defaults
      and then restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Let us know the status of the issue.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 slow and freezing up - Similar Threads - slow freezing

2. I am experiencing drag or slowness and even freezing of Windows 10 since I upgraded from...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am experiencing drag or slowness and even freezing of Windows 10 since I upgraded from...: I am experiencing drag or slowness and even freezing of Windows 10 since I upgraded from Windows 7 (not freshly installed) are others too? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-experiencing-drag-or-slowness-and-even/115320c4-070b-4269-af2a-3c1f1fcd516d
  3. Windows store slows down/freeze whole PC while downloading an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows store slows down/freeze whole PC while downloading an app: When downloading any of the game pass games on PC the windows store slows down the rest of my pc to a crawl and has frozen it on multiple occasions. I've tried wsreset and that didn't fix it. The windows troubleshooter finds no issues. My hypothesis is that somethings got...
  4. Video Playback Freezing and Slowing, Gets Worse Over Time

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Playback Freezing and Slowing, Gets Worse Over Time: Hey guys, I have a bit of an odd problem that I can't seem to find a solution to so I hope you can help me out. Thanks for taking the time to read this. So I have a laptop that runs Windows 10. I just bought it as a thing to take to college about two years ago and then I...
  5. Windows 10 Freezes when internet connection is lost or slow.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Freezes when internet connection is lost or slow.: I've been dealing with this issue for a while now, and as you can imagine Microsoft support forums only provide stupid answers or extremely rudimentary steps by people/moderators that don't know how a computer works. The issue im having is that my OS freezes with the...
  6. User Account Control dialogue slow to load, explorer window freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    User Account Control dialogue slow to load, explorer window freezes: I have noticed recently, often when I am trying to open an exe files from my desktop or a folder from my desktop (or from a DVD drive), the folder sort of freezes and I can't really move it or do anything with it as the User Account box also lags to open. After it opens, the...
  7. Windows 10 gets slow or freezes when left idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 gets slow or freezes when left idle: Hi all i'm new to this (old account but didn't post that much) forum and i have a problem with my desktop pc So i have Windows 10 Insider Preview (14986) and yes i know that windows insider builds have problems and shouldn't be installed as a standard operating system but...
  8. Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.: The title says it all. Constant freezing and slow to open programs - I'm talking about minutes not seconds. I have anti-virus and malware software working. Recently, downloaded latest Windows 10 update. Now it seems worse. But it was bad before that. Any suggestions? Thanks....
  9. Slow/Freeze Contextual Menus after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow/Freeze Contextual Menus after Anniversary Update: After the last big update for Windows 10 (the anniversary one) I started having a problem with contextual menus (all right click windows except the ones on the task bar) an in general potion windows, program windows etc. In general what happens is that you can se the...
  10. Windows 10 occasionally freezes / Slow shut down.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 occasionally freezes / Slow shut down.: *Smile Hi all. Recently I have noticed one or two problems (niggles), crop up. 1. Windows 10 occasionally freezes for no apparent reason that I can see. 2. Start up appears slightly longer on the start. 3. Shutdown / Restart, noticeably slower. I have run full virus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 running slow and freezing

2. windows 10 slow down freeze

3. windows 10 slow and freezing up