Windows 10: Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen

Discus and support Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey, Windows 10 screen takes 6-minutes on average. Which is really frustrating since I occasionally boot to/from Ubuntu. I noticed the issue a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ArtsArts, Apr 1, 2018.

1. ArtsArts Win User

Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen

Hey,

Windows 10 screen takes 6-minutes on average. Which is really frustrating since I occasionally boot to/from Ubuntu. I noticed the issue a few weeks ago. Before that I would barely see the loading screen( only for 2 seconds tops ).

Tried these so far;

- Disable fast boot
    - Full clean and reinstall of Video Drivers
    - Reset Windows( Without saving documents )
    - Windows Performance Recorder ( Shows my boot as 30 seconds which is complately false )
    - Disable startup apps ( Shouldn't matter since that is AFTER the loading screen but done for the sake of doing it )

Only hint I got about it is from this thread:
    Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen) - Windows 10 Forums
    With this command, which apparently equals to hibernate + fast boot, my loading screen duration goes back to 1-2seconds. However it doesn't work on restart and it is pretty much a bandaid.

I assume some will blame the dual-boot situation, please keep in mind this problem is really recent and I have been using the setup without any problems until now.

:)

ArtsArts, Apr 1, 2018
  2. Andy Dorr Win User

stuck on windows 10 boot screen

I have a 6 core 3ghz pc with 12 gb of ram at 1866 speed. My main windows 10 is on a new SSD. Windows 10 is very slow to boot. When it comes to the first windows boot screen it just hang there. It would not load windows at all. but once i restart it will
    load windows after 5 mins. I never had this problem with windows 7. What is going on??

Andy Dorr, Apr 1, 2018
  3. Tcamiga Win User
    Windows 8.1 boot screen instead of Windows 10

Hi

Thanks for Windows 10 pro - its great except for a couple of small issues on my Desktop machine.

Question - When the computer initially boots it shows the same boot screen as I had on Win 8.1 pro for about 10 to 15 seconds as if its loading Win 8.1.

Then it disappears and the Win 10 screen appears and everything works quicker and its all OK to log in.

Presuming that win 10 has a different boot loading screen than Win 10 - how do I fix this issue as it slows down the boot time off the SSD.

Thankyou

TC

Tcamiga, Apr 1, 2018
  4. Horakti Win User

Hello , i formatted my pc 6 days ago , upgraded my win10 home to pro , i bought an oem key .Everythings fine now , boot times around 6 secs without fast boot ,but i prefer fast boot *Smile , i had same problems with u , i disabled win10 updates completelty this time ,(except activating win10 pro )
    I am suspecting about win10 monthly updates .I tried almost everything before format , even i tried factory settings win10 ,.Nothing worked .I guess this is bleeding wounds of win10 updates .We will see end of month .I will inform u with a pm .Sry about my bad english .

Horakti, Apr 2, 2018
  5. ArtsArts Win User
    Thanks a lot for the update. I definitely suspect the windows updates aswell, since Reset did not work. Reset keeps Windows in it's updated state apparently.

Going to wait for a fix I guess. I need the updates to run Windows Store games unfortunately. It is just weird that only a minority experiences these issues.

ArtsArts, Apr 3, 2018
  6. zinou Win User
    Hi,
    I would recommand you take a boot tace using Windows Performance Toolkit. This way I can examin your boot process and eventually get a clue of what's causing the delay;

Here is the steps to do:
    Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit Download and install the Windows ADK | Microsoft Docs . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.
    - Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: Article not found Compress the resulting file
    - Share it through Free file transfer, send large files - TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you…

zinou, Apr 3, 2018
  7. ArtsArts Win User
    Hey Zinou

3 iterations: Download - TransferNow

I have already gone through these. As I already stated on the main post, these logs doesn't catch that first loading. It probably starts logging right after it. So I don't really think you can find anything that will help, even though I hope you can.

ArtsArts, Apr 4, 2018
  8. ArtsArts Win User

@muchomurka Just tried that, unfortunately no changes. Only thing I have not tried at this point is, full format of both disks + clean windows install.

ArtsArts, Apr 5, 2018
  9. katlani Win User
    meh cant afford to have a Windows 10 OS without any updates.
    I'm suffering from the same issue where boot degradation occurs after several weeks, and im using an ASUS motherboard too, so i seriously suspect something about the compatibility of these boards with Windows 10.

Im hanging my hopes on the Spring Creators Update to somehow fix this issue, but i seriously doubt that.

katlani, Apr 7, 2018
  10. katlani Win User
    Can whoever has this slow boot time check the "Last BIOS time" value on Task Manager - Startup tab?
    Mine shows 14s after reboot, if you have fast startup enabled and you shutdown, it will be accumulated until next reboot / shutdown without fast startup.

katlani, Apr 9, 2018
  11. Horakti Win User
    @ArtsArts I accidently took updates today , my experiment is finished here , today boot time is 6-7 secs and as fast as 1st day .I hope these files dont affect my startup times,

Horakti, Apr 10, 2018
  12. katlani Win User
    Alright keep us posted, so you are on Fall CU now or already Spring CU?

katlani, Apr 10, 2018
  13. Horakti Win User

Horakti, Apr 10, 2018
  14. katlani Win User
    OK thanks.

BTW, yesterday i switched from MBR/BIOS to GPT/UEFI to see if it helps, but it didnt change anything, apart from the OS indicating it is running under UEFI bios and that secure boot is ON.
    Of course the UEFI boot partition was created which is used for the booting process.

What i did notice when booting via GPT/UEFI and not MBR/BIOS is that the ASUS logo is printed into the booting partition, so now i see the ASUS logo hanging before windows kicks in, instead of the Blue windows logo circle (i read that you can change that in BIOS but don't really care about that).

katlani, Apr 10, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen - Similar Threads - Slow boot SSD

2. Slow boot time (1m44s) with Windows 10 and SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot time (1m44s) with Windows 10 and SSD: Hello, I did a bunch of stuff in BIOS trying to speed things up from 30 seconds boot and now I have an even slower one. [img] Any ideas? LE: It was a one time deal, but still have around 36seconds until I can enter the Windows password. The event viewer didn't log...
  3. Slow boot time (1m44s) with Windows 10 and SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot time (1m44s) with Windows 10 and SSD: Hello, I did a bunch of stuff in BIOS trying to speed things up from 30 seconds boot and now I have an even slower one. [img] Any ideas? 168564
  4. boot time loading slow.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    boot time loading slow.: I am facing the following problems while using my Dell laptop for the past few weeks : 1 The boot time loading of the laptop has become very slow due to unknown causes. 2 The opening of files,folders, and softwares also takes a considerable amount of time during...
  5. Slow boot time to OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time to OS: As the title suggests, the load time of OS is extremely long(spinning white dots i believe), about 15-25 seconds. Which makes my boot-up time from button pressed to windows screen 50~ seconds Windows is installed on SSD, and i have another HDD connected. Troubleshooting:...
  6. slow boot time on ssd

slow boot time on ssd: Hi all, I know there are a wide range of posts about this issue but I couldn't find any direct solution.. I have a laptop with i7 8750h, 16gb ram and 512gb intel 7600p ssd. Boot time takes about 50 seconds, some times 40. Here is the link of Windows Performance Recorder test...
  7. Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD

Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD: I just noticed in the last few days that my PC takes about 2-3 minutes to boot up. It takes about 5 seconds to post and then hangs on Windows loading screen for about 2-3 minutes, which used to be around 10-15 seconds. I'm not really sure when it started. I did a test to...
  8. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen): Hi! This is my first post here so greetings *Smile Recently my win 10 started booting very slow. I purchased an SSD (EVO 850) a month ago and was amazed how fast it boots, approx. 11s from cold boot to login screen. Since I mine crypto I don't shut down my PC much, I...
  9. Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading

Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading: Hi all, I'm using an Intel SSD 240GB 520 series. Always loading very fast, i.e., about 8 seconds from cold boot. Since windows 10 is installed, boot time is about 20 seconds and desktop icons take some time to refresh and load their images. Regarding the boot time:...
  10. Extremely Slow Boot Time (3 min)

Extremely Slow Boot Time (3 min): Hi, I recently purchased a laptop with windows 10 x64. The product specifications are these: Star Wars™ Special Edition Notebook - 15-an001na (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support It's a HP laptop. The boot up time close to 3 minutes goes like this:...