Windows 10: Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports?

Discus and support Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a custom program that writes to a device on COM1. On Windows XP, it runs super fast but once I got it onto Windows 10, it works, but is super... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PoniardBlade, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports?

I have a custom program that writes to a device on COM1. On Windows XP, it runs super fast but once I got it onto Windows 10, it works, but is super slow. It usually runs on the motherboard's Serial port, but I've also tried a USB to serial adapter with the same results. One time, it was working great, but since a reboot, it is back to writing slowly. The trick that made it work temporarily was to run the program in Compatibility Mode (XP SP2) but like I said, the reboot broke it again.

Yes, I know that since this is a custom program, the large amount of reasons for the problem can be quite extensive, but it seems to work, just very slowly. Any suggestions would be welcome.

submitted by /u/PoniardBlade
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PoniardBlade, Oct 16, 2020

2. Windows 10 serial on OEM

So I'll summarize steps made...

1. Saved serial number (taken with Belarc Advisory) from preinstalled (half chinese language) Windows 8.1 (don't know exactly the version, suspect Windows 8.1 with bing) on tablet
    2. Formatted tablet
    3. Tried to make a clean Windows 10 (HOME, HOME N and also PRO, everytime with the same result) install with ISO taken with MediaCreationTool, during install (and also after completing installation) it says that the saved serial is not valid
    4. Tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 (ISO taken with MediaCreationTool again) HOME, it says that the serial is not valid

So i suspect that the saved serial, is from a WINDOWS 8.1 WITH BING OEM version and this kind of ISO is not accessible/downloadable anywhere (at least I can't find it, any suggestion?)

Still not tried SHOWKEY with that serial, I am in office now, and the serial is saved on a usb pen at home, will try this evening.

So I'm stucked but if everything is like I suspect, it's incredible. If I have a tablet/notebook/netbook with Windows 8 preinstalled, it seems that I can update to Windows 10 without problems, but if I want to make a clean Windows 10 install that serial is not valid...

CapitanCatarro, Oct 16, 2020
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Changing the Port settings for Serial-USB.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you want to change the port settings, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager (right click on start button
      and then on Device manager).
    2. Then expand port (COMS & LPT).
    3. Then right click on Prolific USB-to Serial Comm Port and then on properties.
    4. Go to port settings and click on Advanced.
    5. You will be able to make the changes on this screen.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Oct 16, 2020
  4. haiyunjin Win User

Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports?

Hyper-V serial port

Hi

We have

Hyper-V Manager version: 10.0.18362.1

installed on Windows 10. We need to use serial port on victual machine, but could not get correct configuration. We tried some suggestions from internet, such as remote logon the virtual machine and use the serial port on host computer. It does not work neither.
    What is the best way to get serial port on Hyper-V virtual machine?

haiyunjin, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports?

1. Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports? - Similar Threads - Slow Serial COM

2. Windows 10 and serial ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 and serial ports: Can windows 10 support serial ports. I installed a dual port serial card PCI Express and I cannot get it to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-serial-ports/4315b8d9-2ac5-4df6-8518-55aa038de787
  3. Win 10 Serial COM port fails Duplex operation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Serial COM port fails Duplex operation: Following the update of my laptop, an FZ-55 from win 7 to win 10, I've had problems with threading and specifically the COM port threading. Our program used to be able to transmit while still being able to detect errors and a break sent by the receiver. This no longer...
  4. Win 10 Serial COM port fails Duplex operation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Serial COM port fails Duplex operation: Following the update of my laptop, an FZ-55 from win 7 to win 10, I've had problems with threading and specifically the COM port threading. Our program used to be able to transmit while still being able to detect errors and a break sent by the receiver. This no longer...
  5. Win 10 Serial COM port fails Duplex operation

6. Windows 10 - Where are the COM ports? Are there no COM ports anymore?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Where are the COM ports? Are there no COM ports anymore?: I've gone the following way: Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> Action -> Add legacy hardware -> Next -> Add hardware -> tried both options, neither works -> Completing the Add Hardware Tool using Microsoft So where do I go next to get the correct...
  7. USB Serial Adapter COM Port Changes on Reboot

USB Serial Adapter COM Port Changes on Reboot: I have a Windows 10 Laptop with a USB Serial Port Adapter with an attached printer. When I reboot the computer, the COM port assigned to the USB adapter changes randomly so that the printer no longer works. What can I do to ensure that the Serial Port Adapter is always...
  8. Clashing devices on serial COM ports

Clashing devices on serial COM ports: I am using a Windows 10 Enterprise x64 PC. I have an Adafruit Feather M0 Express board and a Kortek touchscreen. I can use either of these devices individually on the PC. They work over serial communications. However, when I install the drivers for the touchscreen, the...
  9. COM Port Issues due to serial mouse ball

COM Port Issues due to serial mouse ball: I am currently having problems with the com ports for my win 10 workstation in my current project. I have built a vessel data distribution unit using window 10 OS workstation, which distribute information from vessel sensors to several navigation systems. The data...
  10. Serial com ports.

Serial com ports.: I am trying to use a USB-RS232 lead on my laptop. I cannot create any COM ports and none are there by default. If I try this on my desktop it works perfectly. When trying to create a COM port I get an invalid parameter error and the creation fails Windows 10 Home...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. slower com port in win10