Windows 10: Windows 10 - slow startup after restart only

Discus and support Windows 10 - slow startup after restart only in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there, After upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10, when i shut down and boot my laptop windows startup pretty fast 8 sec and The login screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by maxxscream, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Windows 10 - slow startup after restart only

Hi there,
    After upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10,
    when i shut down and boot my laptop windows startup pretty fast 8 sec and The login screen appears.
    However when i restart windows the bot went well it start to be slow in the loading screen with windows logo 10 sec after that a black screen( if i click or move the mouse the cursor appears) 10-15 sec , after that an other clear blue loading screen with a loading circle in the middle, after that the login screen also take a while to login and desktop too take a while to show properly all the icons and task bar.
    And all those delays occur only when i restart windows, this is really confusing.

:)

maxxscream, Aug 2, 2015
  2. Ajhel‍ Win User

Computer turned REALLY SLOW after unplugging AC cord from wall (AC FROM POWER SUPPLY

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 correctly and took out services and startup applications that are not needed. I have also done the Windows 10 Performance Checklist. Although after I restarted my computer, the slowness or lag came back. Windows 10 - slow startup after restart only :(

Ajhel‍, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Error message "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" after System Startup on Windows 10

I have a RCA cambio 2/1 tablet pc laptop windows 10 that i restarted because it was slow but now its stuck on the start up screen with an Error message "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" after System Startup on Windows........
    Plz help

Rca cambio Windows 10 Stuck on start up screen, Aug 2, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Windows 10 - slow startup after restart only

Windows 8 and 10 have something called fast startup. Essentially, when shut down, the computer's state is saved to a file (open processes, etc.). When start up, it restores the state the computer was in, resulting in faster startup. Windows 7 and previous operating systems do not have fast startup, so when shut down, it shuts all processes down resulting in a slower bootup because they all have to be loaded again. Just think of fast startup as sleep, although it's closer to hibernation. When the computer shuts down or enters sleep mode, the state of the computer is saved. When it wakes up or boots, restore the state instead of starting on a clean slate and loading the processes again. When restart, fast startup is disabled because usually restart to let installers make changes that they can't do while r computer is actively running. Putting r computer to sleep then waking it up again isn't the same as restarting, is it?

5. reddice Win User
    I though it was me. Windows 10 startup is very slow. I hope this is soon fixed with a update.

reddice, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Thx for your answer You,as u said "Windows 8 and 10 have something called fast startup" i don't have this problem in windows 8.1, both startup and restart are fast. And a restart that last around 40sec-1min to login, is that normal or a bug that we must wait for an update or it's a problem on my windows 10 upgrades(configuration, device and driver...)

maxxscream, Aug 2, 2015
  7. mkdr Win User
    Do you mean with 40sec-1min that you have a black screen before the login appears? Because that's some bug which also could already happen on Windows 8.1 too, I had it so far on three different machines and never figured out what was causing it.

mkdr, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Windows 10 - slow startup after restart only

Hi, 40sec-1min to get the login screen and i never faced this problem in my windows 8.1.
    Now i give up and i want to go back to my previous windows using windows.old file,so there is an option in windows 10 to roll back to windows "8.1" but this option reboot my pc without making any changes.
    ideas??

maxxscream, Aug 2, 2015
  9. elito Win User
    I have been experiencing exactly the same symptoms, from 60 to 90 secs to reboot.
    My findings : If I disable bluetooth, the reboot is a breeze. If I turn off the connected mouse instead of turning off bluetooth it is a breeze but a little bit slower. Have tried all alternatives and options that could imagine, but would welcome fresh inputs.
    Thx.

elito, Aug 6, 2015
  10. Dch48 Win User
    If you upgraded from a previous version, Windows 10 boot will be very slow. Mine was more than 3 minutes when 8.1 was just over one. I did a registry clean with CCleaner and then analyzed the disk with Puran Defrag. The disk was highly fragmented and the registry was in 27 pieces. I did a boot time defrag and optimize with Puran and my boot time was then just about the same as in 8.1.

Dch48, Aug 7, 2015
  11. derek10 Win User
    Similar issue here, I have to stare to a black screen for almost a minute before the desktop appears when I reboot (to install updates for example) fast boot works fine, however.
    Posted a thread while on Technical preview and the consensus was "weak hardware and slow HDD" *Smile

Hope Dch48 is right if yes, maybe I will try a clean install, but I have no desire to reinstall everything again *Sad

It's strange that my netbook boots faster (after a reboot) than my desktop, though *Redface

derek10, Aug 7, 2015
  12. YOU
    You Win User
    Definitely defrag the disk after upgrading.

13. elito Win User

I am running an i7, 16gb RAM and a 512gb SSD. The "weak hardware and slow HDD" does not apply.
    Defrag is not recommended for SSD drives.
    Nobody found relevant the bluetooth issue ? Why disabling the bluetooth gets me back to 21st century reasonable reboot times ?
    Thanks.

elito, Aug 7, 2015
  14. Snakeyes Win User
    Quite frequently slow boot up can be caused by non-Microsoft services during the startup process. Very simple way to check.

Start msconfig and go to the services tab. On the services tab, check the "hide all Microsoft services" box. Note the non-Microsoft services that are checked and then uncheck them all and restart. If your bootup is now fast repeat the process each time re-enabling one or more of the original checked services. You'll be surprised how often these services cause the slow boot up.

Snakeyes, Aug 7, 2015
  15. bamalek Win User
    Where do you go to type msconfig? No startup filed like Win 7!

bamalek, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - slow startup after restart only - Similar Threads - slow startup restart

2. Slow startup or restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow startup or restart: Hello, i have noticed that my startup time and shut down time has increased even though windows is up to date and I have no other problems with windows or my hardware. And i have not messed with any of windows settings or any thing else. And yes all my drivers are up to date...
  3. Windows 10 Restart Slow but Startup quick

Windows 10 Restart Slow but Startup quick: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 Home on a HP 17 Notebook model CA1600NG. It has a SSD. It boots up in under 15 seconds, using fast startup, but everytime I restart using the restart button it takes more than 1 minute for it to completely restart. I have no application launching...
  4. PC is slow on initial startup, but fast after OS restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC is slow on initial startup, but fast after OS restart: My PC has been having a few issues recently. For some reason, my PC has been having this issue where Windows 10 is really slow during its initial startup. But when I restart from the operating system, everything goes back to the way it was before the problems came up. Specs...
  5. Slow restart / startup

Slow restart / startup: My laptop was boot slowly 1 minutes and 35 s in shutdown and 1 m : 45 s in restart , start counting from hp logo , most of the time in the hp logo loading it takes about 50 seconds followd by black screen for 20 seconds , so i turned on fast startup and now it take 30...
  6. windows 10 slow startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 slow startup: the ongoing anomaly of windows 10 slow startup....I reduced the problem from 5 minutes or more to 90 seconds by doing 2 things mentioned in other fixes by users on this site...windows o/s will confound me till the end of time A layman's solution....criticism not...
  7. How Fix Windows 10 Slow Startup/Slow Bootup And Restart Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How Fix Windows 10 Slow Startup/Slow Bootup And Restart Issue: Fix Windows 10 Slow Startup/Slow Bootup AndRestart Issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-fix-windows-10-slow-startupslow-bootup-and/f71c1269-642c-4247-b821-b1047a3a1e55
  8. Windows 10 icons slow to load but only after a restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 icons slow to load but only after a restart: Hi there, I have a new install of win 10 on a new machine with SSD. When I cold boot the desktop icons appear instantly, however, when I restart they take about 20 - 25 seconds to load. I've deleted icon cache, tried clean boot, disabled all start up items and its still the...
  9. windows 10 slow restart slow start after shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 slow restart slow start after shutdown: new win 10 in new del laptop. ver 1809, start after shutdown : 1 min 52 sec restart : more than 2 minutes. how reduce this time ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-slow-restart-slow-start-after-shutdown/44277b0f-bbe8-4c5a-8a95-45c205c50e2e
  10. slow after startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow after startup: My computer is very slow after startup(booting is good but after login it takes 3 minutes or more to open google chrome or any another program https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-after-startup/81e68cdc-453b-44c0-a425-1f656a7ec7cd

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc start slow after restart only

2. windows 10 slow restrat only