Windows 10: Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games

Discus and support Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have been having extremely high ping in online games like BF1 and Titanfall 2 (>500 with spikes to over 1000, pretty much unplayable), and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BaconSunday, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games

Hello,
    I have been having extremely high ping in online games like BF1 and Titanfall 2 (>500 with spikes to over 1000, pretty much unplayable), and slow WiFi speeds. I have already updated my wireless drivers and disabled location and automatic updates. Speedtest.net shows a ping of around 40 ms, and download speeds of about 7-10 Mb/s. Wired connections are a little less than 10 times as fast for downloads, and significantly lower ping. Doing a speedtest on my Galaxy S6 gives 12 ms ping and 35 Mb/s downloads. I have done a speedtest on my windows 10 laptop with the same WiFi dongle as my desktop, as well as the built in card, with very similar results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:)

BaconSunday, Jan 2, 2017
  2. Scr3w1912 Win User

Bind specific Apps to specific network interface

Hello, I have 2 network interfaces, one is a slow unmetered low-speed/high-ping and the other one is a high-speed/low-ping metered connection. I would like to know if it's possible to set some apps to use only the low speed network interface and other apps
    (like online-games) to use only the high speed connection.

Thanks

Scr3w1912, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Vijay_912 Win User
    RTL8723BE and windows 10 slow speed and packet loss

My laptop have a realtek 8723be wifi adapter and after installing windows 10 i am facing slow speeds over wifi and packet loss while i ping the router, all other devices connected to same router get good speed and no packet loss. Windows have updated my
    driver automatically several times but it is of no use and packet loss and slow speed remains as it is. Currently driver version installed in system is 2023.28.115.2016 which was released a few days back on windows update.

Vijay_912, Jan 2, 2017
  4. John Galt Win User

Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games

First thing I would do is run the DSL Reports speed/bufferbloat test and post your bufferbloat test result back here.

Could it be that the game is overtaxing your GPU or CPU and that is the cause of the issue? I'd try dialing back your settings and see if that helps.

Next, I'd do a diagnostic boot with msconfig to load minimum services only and run the game again to see if that helps.

John Galt, Jan 3, 2017
  5. BaconSunday, Jan 4, 2017
  6. John Galt Win User
    Does this mean that you see the same problems on a different computer using the same network?

Next step, try a direct wire connection to your router, and, if you have a modem separate from your router, I'd try a direct wire connection from the modem to the laptop, taking out both wifi and the router.

If things get better with the direct connections, then I'd think about trying to address the bufferbloat. I run a DD-WRT router with QOS setup to control the bufferbloat and get an A+ score for bufferbloat on the DSL Reports test. However, this is all very technical...if it is too much, then maybe think about a new router.

John Galt, Jan 4, 2017
  7. Here's a bufferbloat test direct to the router: Speed result of 88/12.49 Mbps | DSLReports, ISP Information Bufferbloat is MUCH worse on Direct connection, but Download speeds are much higher
    I can't connect direct to the modem, It says "Unidentified network, no internet access"
    My router is only about a year old, purchased in December 2015 (D-link DIR-813), is it already outdated?

BaconSunday, Jan 4, 2017
  8. John Galt Win User

Time to read up on bufferbloat: Introduction - Bufferbloat.net

Most routers do nothing to fix bufferbloat. I had to flash my router with DD-WRT and then configure the QOS system to manage bufferbloat.

How does your game run on the direct connection to the router?

John Galt, Jan 4, 2017
  9. BaconSunday, Jan 4, 2017
  10. John Galt Win User
    John Galt, Jan 4, 2017
  11. I checked the website for DD-WRT, and my router was not listed on the website. However, a similar router, the DIR-810L is. It is also an AC750 router. would that version of the firmware work?

BaconSunday, Jan 4, 2017
  12. John Galt Win User
    Maybe, but you risk bricking your router if it does not. And again, we don't know if this will solve your problem...

John Galt, Jan 4, 2017
  13. Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games

It was about the same, so I messed around with the QOS settings on my router and games run much better on a wired connection. I did sacrifice some network speed, but it is worth it, IMO. Speed result of 36.7/11.27 Mbps | DSLReports, ISP Information
    Do you have any experience with powerline adapters? I was thinking of getting one, because even with QOS settings, wifi connections are poor (D rating for bufferbloat), and while running a solid cable from my router is feasible, it will be a hassle. Would one of these adapters help me, or am I better off waiting until I am able to run a cable>

BaconSunday, Jan 5, 2017
  14. John Galt Win User
    I have not used them, but I would look into it. See if you can find some reviews on wirecutter, tomshardware or one of the other good review sites.

I would also find a way to solve your bufferbloat issues. I don't know if that will also solve your overall gaming performance issue, but it is certainly part of the problem. I went from a D to an A on bufferbloat with DD-WRT properly configured.

John Galt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 slow WiFi speed, high ping in games - Similar Threads - slow WiFi speed

2. High bandwidth high wifi speed slow lan speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High bandwidth high wifi speed slow lan speed: High bandwidth high wifi speed slow lan speed. What should I do? My router is connected with a lan cable to my pc for faster connection but it seems like there is something wrong because I should be possible to get up to 250mb per second but I only get up to 30*****moved from...
  3. High bandwidth high wifi speed slow lan speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High bandwidth high wifi speed slow lan speed: High bandwidth high wifi speed slow lan speed. What should I do? My router is connected with a lan cable to my pc for faster connection but it seems like there is something wrong because I should be possible to get up to 250mb per second but I only get up to 30*****moved from...
  4. Slow wifi receive, high wifi speeds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow wifi receive, high wifi speeds.: I have a very good Wi-Fi speed, yet task manager is saying I'm only receiving like 100 KBPS and games are randomly lagging hard and taking 10 minutes to load, or downloading is randomly slow....
  5. Slow wifi receive, high wifi speeds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow wifi receive, high wifi speeds.: I have a very good Wi-Fi speed, yet task manager is saying I'm only receiving like 100 KBPS and games are randomly lagging hard and taking 10 minutes to load, or downloading is randomly slow....
  6. Slow wifi receive, high wifi speeds.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. high ping only in game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    high ping only in game: So I recently decided to jump on my pc and play some online games been playing bloodborne suddenly any game I play I always have ping spikes. I have tried so many things been troubleshooting for two whole days now and am at a loss. I have a high spec pc paid 2000 dollars for...
  8. Annoyed to hell with high ping spikes and slow wifi on windows 10

Annoyed to hell with high ping spikes and slow wifi on windows 10: I have been using windows 10 for the past 8 months, and every minute of the day I get random ping spikes up to 2000+ ms and speeds of 30 Mbps when I should be getting 200+. I don't know what it is but I really, really, really need help. I can't play games without teleporting,...
  9. High ping in games, low ping on browser.

High ping in games, low ping on browser.: I have recently purchased a new gaming PC to replace my older, slower one. Everything has worked as expected apart from an odd issue I am getting with my ping in online games. While speed tests online tell me my ping is about 20ms - 30ms, when I look at my ping in online...
  10. Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping

Inconsistent WiFi speed - drops, high ping: Hi, I've recently gotten a new laptop and I noticed that my WiFi speed is very inconsistent. Basically, I'm downloading something at 600kBps and then it drops to 300, goes back up, drops again and keeps doing this all the time. Similarly, I have a huge problem with...