Windows 10: Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode?

Discus and support Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Just to preface everything, this may initially start like I've got trouble with particular software but as the same thing has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LunaMoonbell, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode?

Hello everyone,

Just to preface everything, this may initially start like I've got trouble with particular software but as the same thing has occurred with vastly different programs, I thought the issue is a Windows one and not software-specific. I have however sought help on forums for the specific software just in case but to no avail. So, here's the context:

Back in December I tried to run Origin video game client, which I hadn't used in a couple of months but had been working just fine for years on my computer. But... nothing happened. No matter how I tried to open it, it wouldn't budge - my cursor would get the little blue circle rotating next to it as if it's loading, but as soon as it stops, that's it. No process or anything shows up in my task manager either. I tried some things to fix it detailed below, but as it didn't work I thought I'd uninstall and install it again. Uninstalling went fine but when I tried to run the installer I found it does the exact same thing - cursor shows it's loading for a bit and then nothing. At the time I just gave up, I assumed it was specific to the software itself and soon enough they'd release an update I can download that would work fine...

This week, however, I tried to run a vastly different software - TVPaint Animation Pro 11 animation software. Again, I have had this for years and had no problems with it. I last had to use it in October so it's been a while but it worked perfectly fine then. This also needs a dongle to be plugged into my computer for the license to work, which I had plugged in and seemed to be working fine. Again, the exact same thing happened - loading cursor, and then nothing. I tried uninstalling and installing again, at least this time I was able to actually install it back but it doesn't work. Tried to use that to repair the sentinel just in case that was the problem but it hasn't done anything Ias far as I can tell!

I've tried running both this, and Origin, in compatibility mode, and as administrator, still nothing.

So that's made me think it's not the software but my laptop. However, I can't pin down what it could be considering I have made absolutely no changes whatsoever to my system, so the only thing I can think of is Windows Update messing it up? I tried SFC and DISM and nothing seems to have changed. I've tried to disable my antivirus software and firewall to no avail. However, both work when I do a clean boot, run safe mode, or do a diagnostics startup, so I'm assuming it's a program or process that's conflicting with the software I want to use. I used the task manager to stop pretty much all startup programs, and CCleaner to get rid of some processes that seemed to match the programs I'd disabled... but the rest look important to the system so I don't dare touch them! My plan was to disable them one at a time until I finally pinpoint the right one but considering how important they all seem I don't think I want to risk it ahaha!

I very much need to get at least TVPaint to work, and also I'd like for this to stop happening to my programs so any suggestions are super appreciated!

If you need them, here's some specs: The laptop itself is a Dell Inspiron 7559! Windows 10, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, my CPU is Intel i7-6700Hz. Let me know if you need any more details!

Thanks in advance!!

:)

LunaMoonbell, Feb 7, 2020
  2. psyko12 Win User

Safe mode problems

System refuses to go to safe mode unless, 1. using the directory service repair mode, 2. in windows go to msconfig use diagnostic startup and then boot back and choose normal safe mode.

Other than that, when not using two statements above, when safe mode is used it restarts the computer, Is there a software/driver conflict? Or maybe disabled a used service so windows doesn't want to go to normal safe mode? Any help is welcome, *Bang Head :banghead:

Thanks in advance

psyko12, Feb 7, 2020
  3. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Feb 7, 2020
  4. Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode?

Windows 10 is not working even in safe mode

Hi All!
    Over the past few days the start menu was not working properly and after trying to fiddle with that for a few days, i decided to reinstall windows 10. The problem with this now is that it boots up properly, but all i get is:

Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode? windows10hero-100593399-large.png

And the only buttons i have are "Networks" and "Ease of access" in the bottom right. Nothing else. The current build i have for W10 is 10240

If anyone could give me some insight on how to fix this i would be forever grateful!
    Thanks.
    mm

Ps. Safe mode works but i want to be able to run it outside of safe mode without it looking like the picture above.

Mikeyman001, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode?

1. Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode? - Similar Threads - Software Works Safe

2. PC only works in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC only works in Safe Mode: HI,I've spent about a week trying to troubleshoot this issue. I'll try and add everything I remember I've found from research and attempted.System: R7 2700X, 16gb DDR4 3200, GTX980 Ti. WD Blue 1Tb NVME for C drive, Seagate SSHD for D game driveThe issue: on boot, my PC does...
  3. Windows 10 Only Works in Safe Mode

Windows 10 Only Works in Safe Mode: Recently my PC may have overheated using an after market cooler and a possible attempt at overclocking. I am not 100% sure if my CPU is damaged beyond repair. I notice that when my PC starts and boots up it will freeze seconds after loading windows 10. I have since put the...
  4. Windows 10 Only Starts in Safe Mode

Windows 10 Only Starts in Safe Mode: After an update, Windows 10 does not run. It begins to start up Windows logo appears, but after about 10 seconds the screen goes completely black. Windows Recovery Environment does run and Windows Safe Mode also runs. I would appreciate any help to fix this issue....
  5. Windows 10 boots only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 boots only in safe mode: I recently updated my laptop (HP ProBook 6470b) to windows 10. All went well , and I started to install the windows updates (just as everyone does) around a minute or so , the screen goes black. I can see the cursor , but nothing else. The windows also played some sounds. I...
  6. Safe mode for diagnostic TroubleShooting!

Safe mode for diagnostic TroubleShooting!: In Win10, do you seriously have to turn the device on and off three times, to go into SafeMode??? Come on you must be kidding! Also, lacking a good manual, which is at the library that is closed, how do you get a complete list of 'Command Key' borrowed from Apple or 'Windows...
  7. Windows only works in safe mode, Crash in normal mode

Windows only works in safe mode, Crash in normal mode: Hey Microsoft community! I need your knowledge right now! I rely on my PC more than ever right now while working from home and the issue I have is causing more stress than I need. The Problem For well over 4 months now, I have been experiencing a system crash that comes...
  8. Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode?: Hello everyone, Just to preface everything, this may initially start like I've got trouble with particular software but as the same thing has occurred with vastly different programs, I thought the issue is a Windows one and not software-specific. I have however sought help...
  9. Windows 10 Only Works in Safe Mode

Windows 10 Only Works in Safe Mode: Hello, Recently, my PC has been randomly crashing no pattern to when it crashes, typically 0-60 seconds after logging in, sometimes not for hours, no blue screen or error codes, the monitor just says its disconnected and the computer is unresponsive. I have tried seemingly...
  10. In Safe Mode Diagnostics - No Log On Appearing

in Windows 10 Support
    In Safe Mode Diagnostics - No Log On Appearing: Hi This is a brand new computer with Windows 10 already installed. I ran into the issue that seems common of "Critical Error - Start Menu ...." So I have tried various fixes gleaned from forums like this, and had decided to try safe mode with diagnostics, but now I can't...