Windows 10: Windows 10 sometimes doesn't resolve domain names

Discus and support Windows 10 sometimes doesn't resolve domain names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several Linux systems in my network: two servers named backup and odroid, respectively, and a laptop named ceres. To access these computers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BerndBausch, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Windows 10 sometimes doesn't resolve domain names

I have several Linux systems in my network: two servers named backup and odroid, respectively, and a laptop named ceres.

To access these computers from my Windows PC, I use Putty or sometimes ssh in a Cygwin shell. The following happens:

• When trying to access backup, access fails with the message name or service not known.
    • When trying to access odroid, access succeeds
    • When trying to access ceres, access sometimes fails with name or service not known, and sometimes succeeds
    • When using the IP addresses instead of the names, I can connect.
    • nslookup with the names always returns the correct IP addresses
    • A network trace with Wireshark shows that no DNS lookup takes place (except when using nslookup)

I know that Windows has a DNS cache. I can display it with ipconfig /displaydns, but don't find any of the above names. I can also clear it with ipconfig /flushdns, but this doesn't change the behaviour. I also confirmed that C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts is empty.

What is going on here? How can I get this PC to connect to backup and ceres?

:)

BerndBausch, Oct 18, 2019
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Windows 10 sometimes doesn't resolve domain names [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Oct 18, 2019
  3. robos Win User
    Getting a domain name...

Just simple 3 steps to make your website glow to millions…
    Step 1: Sign up now and get a FREE domain!
    Step 2: Design your new website in minutes!
    Step 3: You are live! Share your life online!

Click here…

robos, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Windows 10 sometimes doesn't resolve domain names

Windows 'domain'?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concern in the Microsoft Community. Follow these steps to find the domain name:

• Press the Windows key + R then choose System.
    • The name of your computer will be listed as the Full computer name.
    • The domain your computer belongs to will be listed as the Domain. If, instead of Domain, you see Workgroup, your computer
      is not a member of any domain.

If you have any questions or things you'd like to clarify, feel free to ask.

Marvin Barc, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 sometimes doesn't resolve domain names

1. Windows 10 sometimes doesn't resolve domain names - Similar Threads - sometimes doesn't resolve

2. Active Directory domain names can’t be resolved warning in Windows Server Essentials 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Directory domain names can’t be resolved warning in Windows Server Essentials 2016: I get the warning below in Windows Server Essentials 2016. The adapter already points to the server address. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Everything still works! Thanks:" Active Directory domain names can’t be resolved Alert details: Windows Server Essentials cannot...
  3. Active Directory domain names can’t be resolved warning in Windows Server Essentials 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Directory domain names can’t be resolved warning in Windows Server Essentials 2016: I get the warning below in Windows Server Essentials 2016. The adapter already points to the server address. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Everything still works! Thanks:" Active Directory domain names can’t be resolved Alert details: Windows Server Essentials cannot...
  4. Windows 11 periodically stops resolving domains.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 periodically stops resolving domains.: I have been having an occasional moment where my Windows 11 system just loses the ability to process DNS requests from all applications. An IP ping is fine. I can even hit 8.8.8.8 with no issue. I try to hit www.google.com for example, and it went to 10.0.0.1... My router...
  5. Windows 11 periodically stops resolving domains.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 periodically stops resolving domains.: I have been having an occasional moment where my Windows 11 system just loses the ability to process DNS requests from all applications. An IP ping is fine. I can even hit 8.8.8.8 with no issue. I try to hit www.google.com for example, and it went to 10.0.0.1... My router...
  6. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't: Sometimes bluetooth stop working. And i have to restart the pc many times but still it doesn't work. I also tried to install bluetooth driver but things didn't work out....
  7. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't: Sometimes bluetooth stop working. And i have to restart the pc many times but still it doesn't work. I also tried to install bluetooth driver but things didn't work out....
  8. Windows sometimes doesn't boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows sometimes doesn't boot.: I'm greeted by a black screen after I restart my machine or after I log out. I am able to boot into windows when I turn of my pc and then start it up again. I'm running a completely new installation of windows....
  9. Windows 10 sometimes does not resolve local host names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 sometimes does not resolve local host names: I have a local network with no domain controller, just windows 10 computers. I frequently use ssh to connect to other computers. But even if I connect to HOSTB from HOSTA, I sometimes can not (and sometimes I can) do "ssh HOSTA" back to the host I am coming from....
  10. Domain Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Domain Name: Hi I am running Windows 10, on both my PC and LAPTOP, and want to connect them as home or work group. How do I do this and how do I find my domain name please. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-name/bc451822-c98e-4ed5-bd33-86bd29d176fb