Windows 10: Windows 10 sometimes tries to boot to wrong OS

Discus and support Windows 10 sometimes tries to boot to wrong OS in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I used to have two versions of Windows 10 on my PC, W10 Pro and W10 insider programme. I have removed the latter but my PC sometimes still tries to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DMTodd, Jun 30, 2019.

1. DMTodd Win User

Windows 10 sometimes tries to boot to wrong OS

I used to have two versions of Windows 10 on my PC, W10 Pro and W10 insider programme. I have removed the latter but my PC sometimes still tries to boot into it causing a missing winload.exe error.

I can get past it by pressing F9 and manually selecting Win10 Pro, but would rather not have the hassle.

Is there some way to remove the remnants of the Win10 from my drive?

:)

DMTodd, Jun 30, 2019
  2. Wile E Win User

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

Yeah, but he's throwing OS X in there. Not quite as easy to do, but not all that hard. Manual configuration of GRUB is necessary.

Wile E, Jun 30, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 30, 2019
  4. Dandel Win User

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 sometimes tries to boot to wrong OS - Similar Threads - sometimes tries boot

2. Windows 10 doesn’t boot sometimes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 doesn’t boot sometimes.: Hello,I have windows 10 home clean installed. The issue i am facing is that when i fire up my laptop it doesn’t boot the windows instead it shows blank screen until i cut the power and turn it back on. Though, Rarely it sometimes will not boot in a row or three. It is now...
  3. Windows 10 doesn’t boot sometimes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 doesn’t boot sometimes.: Hello,I have windows 10 home clean installed. The issue i am facing is that when i fire up my laptop it doesn’t boot the windows instead it shows blank screen until i cut the power and turn it back on. Though, Rarely it sometimes will not boot in a row or three. It is now...
  4. Windows 10 displaying the wrong language sometimes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 displaying the wrong language sometimes.: Hello! I tried looking it up but I couldn't find any answers.My Windows is displayed in both English and Dutch and it's very confusing. I want my language set to English but I don't know where to change this? The settings are as follows:However a lot of menus and other things...
  5. Windows 10 displaying the wrong language sometimes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 displaying the wrong language sometimes.: Hello! I tried looking it up but I couldn't find any answers.My Windows is displayed in both English and Dutch and it's very confusing. I want my language set to English but I don't know where to change this? The settings are as follows:However a lot of menus and other things...
  6. windows 10 language sometimes wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 language sometimes wrong: first of all sorry for the poor spelling and grammar, spent an hour trying to get my questions submitted but it absolutely wouldnt let me in any browser without telling me why and it turned out my vpn was blocked without any mention or warning so im not gonna retype it all...
  7. Windows 10 sometimes boots sometimes does not on SSD.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 sometimes boots sometimes does not on SSD.: Used MediaCreationTool2004 on a Verbatim 8gb USB. Someone asked me to fix a laptop which has problems booting. At first, when turned on it gave me the 0x0000185 error. I tried booting from the EFI file which booted the system properly. So I went on and copied user's...
  8. Windows tries to boot from wrong drive

Windows tries to boot from wrong drive: Good morning! A few months ago I replaced my original HDD with an SSD, which is now called Drive C: and contains the OS (Win 10). When I first did this I simply disconnected the HDD and Windows always booted from the new SSD without an issue. Recently I decided to...
  9. What's Wrong with the OS for Windows 10?

What's Wrong with the OS for Windows 10?: I have asked multiple times between WINDOWS HP AND CRUCIAL, why doesn't system recognize these Drives have no disk? And are connected though SATA NVM connection? Heck HP gave me a full refund for thier paid support services because the only way to help would have ment giving...
  10. Windows 10 sometimes won't boot

Windows 10 sometimes won't boot: I have an Asus GL502VM laptop with dual boot (Ubuntu and W10). When I turn on the pc it shows Ubuntu's GRUB, where I choose to boot W10. The problem is the following, one time it boots properly and the following it doesn't. When it doesn't boot it shows the monitor on, but...