Windows 10: Windows 10 sort of resets itself after an update

Discus and support Windows 10 sort of resets itself after an update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, about a year ago I bought a prebuilt with Windows 10 pre installed. I don't remember exact version. Everything was running fine and smooth, until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fito10, Oct 31, 2020.

1. /u/fito10 Win User

Windows 10 sort of resets itself after an update

Hi, about a year ago I bought a prebuilt with Windows 10 pre installed. I don't remember exact version. Everything was running fine and smooth, until now. About an hour ago my pc lagged and was basically unusable. I went to check what's happening in task manager. And I saw windows update being installed. It was installing Windows 10 version 2004. That's what it says. After like an hour of rebooting I finally got the see it working again. But the reboot looked like a fresh installation of win 10. It even said that my pc will reboot several times. After I logged in, I noticed several changes, like color scheme, cortana icon popped on task bar. But everything remains the same. But now there are more updates waiting, and my pc is acting like it was never updated before. Did this happen to anyone before? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Windows.old folder popped up on local drive

submitted by /u/fito10
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/fito10, Oct 31, 2020

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Oct 31, 2020
  3. qubit Win User
    Windows 10 update being enabled.

srlsly? Looks like MS nerfed it then. Hope you get it sorted.

I have to confess that I've not paid much attention to it and didn't bother updating it, although I probably should have.

qubit, Oct 31, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 sort of resets itself after an update - Similar Threads - sort resets itself

2. Windows inactivating itself after Reset this PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows inactivating itself after Reset this PC: Hello,I need help re-activating Windows 11 Home after Reset this PC unactivated my Computer and now it says that my computer is not activated.Can someone please help me.Thanks, Joshua...
  3. Windows inactivating itself after Reset this PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows inactivating itself after Reset this PC: Hello,I need help re-activating Windows 11 Home after Reset this PC unactivated my Computer and now it says that my computer is not activated.Can someone please help me.Thanks, Joshua...
  4. Windows 10 resetting itself alone.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 resetting itself alone.: Hi there,Sam here, a windows 10 user.My PC get reset automatically Not Restart after some updates.Here is the info... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-resetting-itself-alone/ab84828a-6f16-4cb6-ad0a-88b9a5b0c2a9
  5. Windows 10 resetting itself alone.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 resetting itself alone.: Hi there,Sam here, a windows 10 user.My PC get reset automatically Not Restart after some updates.Here is the info... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-resetting-itself-alone/ab84828a-6f16-4cb6-ad0a-88b9a5b0c2a9
  6. Windows 10 resetting itself alone.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. PC keeps resetting itself after last update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC keeps resetting itself after last update: Hello, After todays update my pc keeps resetting itself. It says its updating and after it reaches 11% - it reboots. Any idea what to do? submitted by /u/myg0t_Defiled [link] [comments]...
  8. Windows 10 partially reinstalls itself and then stops after resetting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 partially reinstalls itself and then stops after resetting: I have a hp pavalon laptop that i reset because it was running slow, and I wanted to purge my files because of limited storage. Reseting was the last thing I hadn’t tried. So I reset it and it was doing its thing until it got to the point were windows 10 re-installed itself....
  9. Windows 10 Laptop Resetting Itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Laptop Resetting Itself: Never had problems with it until recently. It seems as if it randomly logs out, then turns itself off. Even during the Recovery screen, it stays on for less than a minute before turning itself off. I am using a school login which might cause some organization issues. The...
  10. Windows 10 update / resets itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 update / resets itself: Hi, I dont quite know how to explain this but every 3 months or so my windows 10 appears to do a reset. I like to customise my desktop - custom recycle bin icons and remove shortcut arrow. After this "reset" everything returns to standard. Some of my programs are also...