Windows 10: Windows 10 sound stuck on mute

Discus and support Windows 10 sound stuck on mute in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft, Yesterday my laptop became stuck on mute. Restarting the computer did not work. This problem occurred right after forcing the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Diorthotis, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 sound stuck on mute

Dear Microsoft,

Yesterday my laptop became stuck on mute. Restarting the computer did not work. This problem occurred right after forcing the computer off several times by holding the power button, because I had no other way to restart it for a specific unrelated hardware issue not involving the audio.

I searched for a solution and found a locked thread of someone having a similar issue. The response did not help, however, I did fix it.

I opened device manager and disabled the audio hardware not the codec, then I enabled it.

This had no visible effect, as the audio was still muted, however, I clicked the audio icon in the system tray and turned the volume up, either by dragging the slider, or by clicking the space after it. The audio was unmuted successfully.

Hope this helps others with this annoying issue.

:)

Diorthotis, Oct 2, 2020

2. Sounds mutes automatically

Hello,

I request you to try the methods below:

Method 1:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter.

Method 2:

Sound problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, damaged drivers, incompatible drivers, sound settings, missing updates, and problems with your sound card.

I request you to follow the below steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the Sound card Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Sound driver from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then
      remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.
    • After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Sound Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Sound Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I also request you to follow the below article:

Fix sound problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Oct 2, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer is muting microphone

Hi Jozef,

To help you stop your microphone from muting automatically, we suggest that you follow the steps suggested by
    Kalpana Shankarappa on this
    thread
    that talks about the same issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Oct 2, 2020
  4. $immond$ Win User

Windows 10 sound stuck on mute

Sound keeps muting Ubuntu 10.10

Yes I have the sound setting for "Front" is stuck on mute and I cant uncheck it. My sound-card is integrated and listed as Nvidia MCP77/78 HDMI IEC958 and IEC958 PCM are checked.

Here are my system specs:

AMD 630 @ 3.4Ghz
    ASUS M3A78-CM
    6Gb DDR2 @ 667mHZ
    3X 500Gb RAID 0
    2900 Pro

I also have noticed when I the OS boots up fast but when I log in there is a huge delay and my system freezes temporarily I am not sure if it from my RAID array or if my system is trying to load the sound drivers.

$immond$, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 sound stuck on mute

1. Windows 10 sound stuck on mute - Similar Threads - sound stuck mute

2. Windows 10 randomly muting all sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 randomly muting all sound: recently my PC started randomly muting all sound and sometimes rapidly muting and unmuting itI'm running Windows 10 64-bit ProI have tried running the troubleshooter, updating Windows, updating audio drivers, reinstalling audio drivers and restarting audio servicesmy headset...
  3. Windows 10 randomly muting all sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 randomly muting all sound: recently my PC started randomly muting all sound and sometimes rapidly muting and unmuting itI'm running Windows 10 64-bit ProI have tried running the troubleshooter, updating Windows, updating audio drivers, reinstalling audio drivers and restarting audio servicesmy headset...
  4. Windows 10 randomly muting all sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Microphone mutes sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone mutes sound: This has been happening as long as I can remember but only recently has it been a problem.I use a headset with a built in microphone and whenever an application activates the microphone it mutes any sound from other applications and most of the time the sound from the...
  6. Windows 10 speaker stuck on Mute

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 speaker stuck on Mute: [ATTACH]If your speaker is always on Mute or if the problem occurred after a […] This article Windows 10 speaker stuck on Mute first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Sound works but is muted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sound works but is muted: I can raise volume, but the PC mutes it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-works-but-is-muted/8da6ba76-f8e3-4215-a0f0-89bc76ef4dc3
  8. mute the sound

mute the sound: Previously I would click on the speaker in the task bar and be able to mute or unmute the sound. This is no longer working and I can't seem to change it in the settings. Any advice...
  9. mute sound of adverts

mute sound of adverts: I cannot mute the sound when advertisements are playing on Solitaire. Is it a normal thing? If not, can I mute it in some way or I have to uninstall the game? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mute-sound-of-adverts/3291f13a-ca65-4ac5-850c-dfcf3ff15644
  10. Skype NOT muting other sounds in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype NOT muting other sounds in Windows 10: I have headphones set as my Default Communication Device, speakers as my Default Device and when communication activity is detected, all other sounds are set to mute. Using Skype (desktop), on W8.1 this worked fine; on answering a call, the music through the speakers is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to turnoff mute on laptop