Windows 10: Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My old Startech enclosure was dying on me and I replaced it with a Gembird enclosure (the only one I could get my hands on) USB 3.0 2.5'' enclosure,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kyoshiro, Jul 27, 2020.

1. kyoshiro Win User

Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD

My old Startech enclosure was dying on me and I replaced it with a Gembird enclosure (the only one I could get my hands on)

USB 3.0 2.5'' enclosure, black (EE2-U3S-2)

With the old enclosure, Windows identified my SSD correctly as Samsung SSD EVO 860 under Disk Drives. With the new enclosure, Windows reports it as JMicron Generic SCSI device and it thinks it is a regular Hard Drive.

Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD [​IMG]

CrystalDiskInfo and HDTune identify the same attached drive correctly.

Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD [​IMG]

Disk Defragmenting is disabled and I can manually run Trim on the SSD either via PS or defrag from CMD, so it is not a major issue, but it still bugs me.

Any recommendations?

WinVer: 10.0.18362.959

:)

kyoshiro, Jul 27, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jul 27, 2020
  3. HDD Issue Windows 10

Recently i upgraded to windows 10.

During the update, it failed several times but after suggestions from forum i removed my HDD drive and successfully updated to windows 10 with my SSD , after the update Windows doesn't detect my HDD,

Situation

1. My HDD and SSD both are visible in BIOS options,( I have UBUNTU in HDD and windows in SSD i can easily boot in ubuntu with my hdd )

2. But my windows 10 cant detect it, it's not even shown in Device Manager.

3. Even windows under advanced startup options (Boot with USB ) can detect my HDD and shows Ubuntu in it.

Now what to do , i can do nothing as its not showing in device manager.??????

BalarkTiwari, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD

Serial Mouse via USB not detected

Hi,

I have just installed Windows 10 and my mouse no longer works. Its a specific adapted mouse (for disability) that connects via Serial (9-pin) into a Serial-USB converter cable. The converter cable gets detected ok (as Prolific Serial-USB Adapter) but the Serial mouse running on the end of it doesn't work/get detected.

In Windows 7 it works fine and needed no addition drivers other than the the Prolific adapter. Can I tell if Windows is detecting its presence? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Russ,

rustytulip, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD

1. Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD - Similar Threads - SSD via USB

2. Will the HDD be formatted once i reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD via USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will the HDD be formatted once i reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD via USB?: I currently have my OS installed in the HDD. Last year I added an SSD to my laptop, but refused to move the OS onto it. Fastforward, my laptop performance is quite poor and I decided to reinstall windows onto my SSD. My question is whether or not reinstalling windows 10 onto...
  3. Device not detecting SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device not detecting SSD and HDD: Hi, I have an old laptop so I replaced the HDD with a SSD windows 10. Since the SSD wasn't being detected , I turned on the legacy support in BIOS and the pc booted. But I have to turn on legacy support every time I turn on my laptop. Also I have installed the HDD in a caddy...
  4. Device not detecting SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device not detecting SSD and HDD: Hi, I have an old laptop so I replaced the HDD with a SSD windows 10. Since the SSD wasn't being detected , I turned on the legacy support in BIOS and the pc booted. But I have to turn on legacy support every time I turn on my laptop. Also I have installed the HDD in a caddy...
  5. Device not detecting SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Windows detects SSD drive as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows detects SSD drive as HDD: Hello, i have three disks in my PCC: M.2 1TB SSD windows driveD: 1TB HDDE: M.2 1TB SSDi freshly installed windows 11 pro, in task manager the only disk showing up as a SSD is my windows drive. the two other drives as HDDi unplugged my HDD and formatted my E: disk again. then...
  7. Windows detects SSD drive as HDD

Windows detects SSD drive as HDD: Hello, i have three disks in my PCC: M.2 1TB SSD windows driveD: 1TB HDDE: M.2 1TB SSDi freshly installed windows 11 pro, in task manager the only disk showing up as a SSD is my windows drive. the two other drives as HDDi unplugged my HDD and formatted my E: disk again. then...
  8. SSD detecting as an HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD detecting as an HDD: My SSD is detected as an HDD! I don't know why this is happening so suddenly. I left my laptop for around 40 minutes and once I came back and noticed that my laptop was being so slow for no reason. I clean up my memory using software thinking it was my ram that was causing...
  9. SSD detecting as an HDD

SSD detecting as an HDD: My SSD is detected as an HDD! I don't know why this is happening so suddenly. I left my laptop for around 40 minutes and once I came back and noticed that my laptop was being so slow for no reason. I clean up my memory using software thinking it was my ram that was causing...
  10. My SSD is detected as a HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is detected as a HDD.: So I'm trying to set up Linux to dual boot, and I go to defragment my drive. It's detected as a HDD instead of an SSD. I've tried switching to that drive in Command Prompt and running both winsat commands. However, it still shows as a HDD. Any fix for this?...