Windows 10: Windows 10 SSD Won't Boot - Directory Structure Intact

Discus and support Windows 10 SSD Won't Boot - Directory Structure Intact in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Background steps that led to my current predicament: 1) My desktop PC had a PCIe ssd running windows 10 without problems. 2) My Windows laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EthanOf, Jun 6, 2019.

1. EthanOf Win User

Windows 10 SSD Won't Boot - Directory Structure Intact

Hi,
    Background steps that led to my current predicament:
    1) My desktop PC had a PCIe ssd running windows 10 without problems.
    2) My Windows laptop failed and in order to recover lost data from the SATA ssd installed in the laptop, I installed the ssd in the second M.2 slot of my desktop motherboard.

3) After changing boot priority in the bios, I was able to boot into the laptop's windows partition [Both windows ssd drives are installed in the motherboard at this point].

4) While in windows, after booting from the laptop's partition, I can also see the contents of my desktop drive, which in the context of the laptop's windows partition is given the name "D:".

5) I completed a backup of the laptop's contents to an external drive as planned

6) I changed the boot priority in the bios to boot back into the windows on my desktop's ssd - No success.

7) I removed the laptop's ssd from the motherboard and with only the original desktop's PCIe ssd installed in the motherboard, Windows still will not boot.

When looking at D: from within the laptop's ssd (When it is installed) All of the windows directories are there (\users, \windows, etc. )
    My understanding is that I should be able to boot from either of these drives, whether they are installed on their own, or co-installed.

What do I need to do to boot into Windows from the original desktop's ssd?
    What could have gone wrong during this process?

Thank you

:)

EthanOf, Jun 6, 2019
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jun 6, 2019
  3. Windows 10 won´t boot into automatic repair neither safe mode or any of the other options

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 and perform Automatic Repair.

Download Windows 10

Follow the below steps:

• After you boot your computer using
      Windows 10 CD/ DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

• Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

• Click on Repair your computer
      in the lower left corner.

• Select Troubleshoot
      from Choose an option screen.

• Click on Advanced options
      in Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Automatic Repair
      from Advanced Options screen.

• Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.

• Windows 10 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 6, 2019
  4. Windows 10 SSD Won't Boot - Directory Structure Intact

Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 SSD Won't Boot - Directory Structure Intact

1. Windows 10 SSD Won't Boot - Directory Structure Intact - Similar Threads - SSD Won't Boot

2. New SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New SSD won't boot: I just cloned my Windows 10 partition to a new SSD, but it won't boot. I had Windows set up to dual boot to Windows XP on another partition on the same HD when I cloned it. I did not move that XP partition to the SSD, is that possibly the reason it won't boot? When I try to...
  3. New SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New SSD won't boot: I just cloned my Windows 10 partition to a new SSD, but it won't boot. I had Windows set up to dual boot to Windows XP on another partition on the same HD when I cloned it. I did not move that XP partition to the SSD, is that possibly the reason it won't boot? When I try to...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot from New SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't boot from New SSD: I recently installed an SSD Barracuda 120 in my computer, I kept my original HDD as a secondary drive for storage, this morning after 3 days of normal use, the SSD won't boot into Windows and I'm getting a BSOD Strttrail.txt Error, Windows is not able to repair it and it...
  5. SSD won't boot into windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD won't boot into windows: I recently bought a new ssd to replace my old hard drive, however, it won't boot. First i tried cloning windows over to the ssd, but then all it did was boot into safe mode and was unable to repair or diagnose anything. So i formated the ssd and tried installing windows from...
  6. Windows 10 won't boot with SSD plugged in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 won't boot with SSD plugged in.: So a while back I got a new motherboard the MSI A320M PRO VD/S V2. Off course this came along with some new ram and a new CPU. Right now I have 3 storage devices plugged in. My HardDrive, my boot SSD and a second SSD for storage. I have this configured that my boot SSD is in...
  7. Windows 10 won't boot from ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't boot from ssd: I recently cloned windows from my HDD to my SSD on my bios it says that my HDD is the windows boot manager and not my SSD when I change the boot priorities to my SSD and i Boot my pc it says that : "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot...
  8. Windows 10 won't boot after connecting Active Directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 won't boot after connecting Active Directory: After joining my Windows 10 PC to our domain, the Windows start button won't work and it won't boot after restart. It's stuck on a black screen with the circles revolving. I've gone through multiple hardware replacements and Windows 10 images. Any ideas how to fix this?...
  9. PC won't boot to Windows 10 from SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won't boot to Windows 10 from SSD: I bought my PC years ago with only a HDD. I added a SSD myself afterwards. When I booted my PC after a hard shutdown/electricity fallout I had only my HDD in BIOS. I then boot from HDD, get an error and let the PC reboot. After a few times the SSD would be recognized in BIOS...
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD: Hi, I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop, and installed an SSD in the computer's m.2 port. I then cloned the existing HD to the SSD, changed the SSD to the default boot in BIOS, and then re-formatted the HD. Everything worked fine for the first few days - I...