Windows 10: Windows 10 stalls at boot, power plug pull fixes it.

Discus and support Windows 10 stalls at boot, power plug pull fixes it. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think I have a PS problem but I'm not certain. Recently I've had problems with Windows 10 stalling upon startup at the Asus "enter BIOS" key screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KBJ, Jan 12, 2021.

1. KBJ
    KBJ Win User

Windows 10 stalls at boot, power plug pull fixes it.

I think I have a PS problem but I'm not certain. Recently I've had problems with Windows 10 stalling upon startup at the Asus "enter BIOS" key screen. I then switch the PS off at the PS, pull the plug, wait about 30 secs and then reconnect PS and then press the computer start button and so far, it boots right up as normal. I've done some searching around and seen several postings that say that's an indication of a failing PS. I've purchased a replacement that's due to arrive on Wednesday but before swapping the power supplies out I thought I'd ask the community here about the problem to see what they say.

The equipment involved is,
    Corsair RM750 that is close to 5 yrs old.
    MB is ASUS Z170-A
    The boot drive is Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
    Graphics card is Nvidia GTX 960
    There are also 2 HDDs, both of them being WD 3TBs
    Windows 10 Pro(x64) v2004 (build 19041.685)
    It's been running on the Asus fan control mode of "Silent".

The machine is not used for gaming, mostly just web browsing and general multi-media such as audio/video playback.

While the current PS is about 5 yrs old, and everything fails eventually, it just seems a bit premature to me.

Looking for some input, thanks!

:)

2. curious Win User

Black screen when powering on PC. Fixed by removing power plug, plugging back

I have a weird problem with my desktop PC. Sometimes (not all the time), after I power up the PC, the display shows a black screen. Nothing shows up. The PC was powered on successfully as I can see the LEDs light up on the casing. To fix this problem, I pressed and hold the power button to shut down the PC first, then removed the power plug. Wait for a pop sound, then plug back the power plug. After doing these steps, the PC boots up normally and the monitor shows the BIOS boot up screen.

I am running Windows 10.

PC configuration:
    - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
    - Nvidia GT 710
    - Motherboard B450 Aorus pro Wifi
    - DDR4 RAM 16Gbyte 2133Mhz clock
    - SSD 1 Terabyte

curious, Jan 12, 2021
  3. After upgrade to Windows 10, sometimes on startup usb mouse stops working - only fix is to pull power cord and plug back in on desktop

After upgrade to Windows 10, sometimes on startup usb mouse stops working - only fix is to pull power cord and plug back in on desktop. So, when the computer starts, the usb mouse doesn't light up and doesn't work. I think use keyboard to shutdown and then
    it the computer tries to auto-start.

The only way I've seen to correct his is to pull the power plug on the desktop before it tries to reboot and then everything works again.

Anyone seen this or have a fix?

cougartrace, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 stalls at boot, power plug pull fixes it. - Similar Threads - stalls boot power

2. Windows 10 update will finally pull the plug on Adobe Flash Player

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update will finally pull the plug on Adobe Flash Player: Three years ago, Adobe announced that it would dig a deep hole for its Flash Player and drop support by the end of 2020. This will move will also kill off the Flash Player technology, which is packed with security holes that it has become the favourite target of malware...
  3. WINDOWS 10 not opening without power plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WINDOWS 10 not opening without power plugged in: Hello I have updated my windows 10 pro 10 days ago.. on 7th July 2020. After that i am having problem of "System not opening" unless the power button plugged.. Please help...
  4. Power plugged in and Not charginh

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Power plugged in and Not charginh: can't install the new updates of windows 10 & its showing To install updates, i need to charge my device battery minimum 40% in order to commence installing the new updates, However the power is plugged in & can't charge because it require the new updates to be installed...
  5. Windows 10 Updates Stalled

Windows 10 Updates Stalled: My wife's HP 2 in 1 has stuck Windows 10 updates. I cannot access the computer right now so I cannot get the exact version and build level but I am pretty sure it is at least 1809. I have seen this behavior before. Updates get downloaded and attempt to install but fail. Then...
  6. Windows 10 Indexing stalled

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Indexing stalled: I've scoured the internet and found others have the same problem, but no solution has been stated which works. WIndows Indexing gets stuck. it will index a number of files, then stall. a restart of the pc lets it edge forward a few records sometimes. I've done multiple...
  7. Windows 10 PC freezes/locking up. Have to pull out the plug to restart it

Windows 10 PC freezes/locking up. Have to pull out the plug to restart it: Ever since I first built my PC in early 2016, I have been having a problem where my PC would completely lock up/freeze on its current screen and the only way to switch it off/restart is by physically pulling the plug out the wall. This error only happens when I am gaming,...
  8. Windows 10 is slow when not plugged into power.

Windows 10 is slow when not plugged into power.: Usually, Windows 10 will increase the "Speed" of the when there is a heavily demanding task for windows to run, but this is not the case when my laptop is not plugged in, and when set to the "better performance" power setting. In order to get this speed increase, I have to...
  9. Boot stall/failure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot stall/failure: Lenovo P50 Second monitor Anker powered USB hub Yesterday, after returning home with the machine, I plugged in the power and assorted USB ports and booted. The machine stalled at the Lenovo splash screen. The drive light flickered not with usual random periodicity but at...
  10. Windows 10 installation stalls

Windows 10 installation stalls: I am attempting to install W10 through USB drive. However as I go through the setup steps, at some point the mouse will start lagging and the setup goes stuck. I don't know if it's a memory problem since I have 3gb of RAM. However if the PC is turned off for a long time the...