Windows 10: Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share

Discus and support Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an issue that has been ongoing. I will use one user as an example, but it is happening with multiple users. We setup a new system with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Artman62, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Artman62 Win User

Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share

I have an issue that has been ongoing.
    I will use one user as an example, but it is happening with multiple users.

We setup a new system with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (latest updates).
    All Windows systems have static IP addresses.
    We are using a domain and not a workgroup.
    Our server is running Red Hat Linux Server with Version 1.5 Samba.
    Our Sonicwall firewall is our DHCP server.
    SMB 1.0 (client, direct, server) is enabled on the Windows system.
    The Windows system has an administrator user (DEXX) and a standard user (JOHN).
    The Linux server has a general admin username and password.
    There is a user setup called JOHN and a folder named JOHN.
    The Red Hat Server has a public folder that all systems are supposed to be able to access to save and read files.

Using the Linux admin user and password, DEXX can connect to public (or anything else).
    All systems can connect to public using the same user/password.

Keep in mind that people who maintain our server do not know Windows.
    The people who maintain our desktops systems do not know Linux.

Here is where the problem lies. JOHN cannot connect to public.
    The first error message says the user does not have permission to connect to the share.
    The second message says that you cannot connect to the same share using multiple usernames/passwords.
    Whether we try to connect using the domain \\DOMAN\Public or the ip address \\192/168\100\120\Public we get the same result.

I have been through this forums and others and tried the various "fixes".
    net user * /d
    enabling SMB 1.0 in Windows 10
    modifying the registry
    enabling network discovery to auto start.
    Just to name a few.

I think the issue is a permission issue in the way the Linux people setup the server.
    NO standard windows user can connect to public.
    Every admin windows user can (using the same admin user/pass - which is stupid!)
    But who wants to have every Windows user an admin user - especially beginners and novices.
    (we already had a user delete an entire folder, losing years of data)

The people who maintain our server refuse to give me the root username/password so I can check myself how the linux users are setup. I am no expert, but I have used Linux in the past and know how to check permissions.

Does anyone have experience with this Server/Client setup that may shed some light on what to look for or try to make this work correctly?

Appreciate the help.

:)

Artman62, Sep 9, 2018
  2. Jimmy 2004 Win User

Red Hat and Novell being Sued for Patent Infringement

Little known company IP Innovation is attempting to sue both Red Hat and Novell for patent infringement involving Linux. According to the firm, both Red Hat and Novell’s Linux distributions violate patent number 5,072,412 for a “User Interface with Multiple Workspaces for Sharing Display System Objects” – a patent dating back to December 10th 1991 – as well as two other patents. The orginal statement is as follows:
    This is the first ever patent infringement litigation involving Linux.

Source: Groklaw via [H]ard|OCP

Jimmy 2004, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Wile E Win User
    College to teach Linux over windows

I suggest Fedora. It's based on Red Hat, which, from what I've been told, is a very common Distro for businesses.

I wouldn't go with Ubuntu, as it's not quite "normal", as far as linux distros are concerned.

Wile E, Sep 9, 2018
  4. VulkanBros Win User

Valve: Linux More Viable Than Windows 8 for Gaming

Linux distros are far more versatile - CentOS is a common server OS built for stability - based on (if not I am wrong, Red Hat Enterprise)

Take f.ex. BackTrack - perfect for network security testing (firewall, intrusion etc.)

So my hope is that Valve got this thing right......a nother step in beeing Windows free....*Roll :roll:

VulkanBros, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share - Similar Threads - Standard User cannot

2. Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares: Hi folks Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1 You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course. also in the samba config file ensure this...
  3. Standard User only to Login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Standard User only to Login: I have a laptop (Windows 10) that only offers one user to log in. That user is a standard user so I can not change anything. When I go to the command prompt and run net user I have the following accounts: admin Administrator DefaultAccount defaultuser0 Guest Owner...
  4. Cannot share internet connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot share internet connection: I recently bought a Huawei USB dongle for internet connection using a SIM card. It works quite well, however I also need to share the connection with my other devices. I tried making a hotspot using Command Prompt ("netsh wlan start hostednetwork"), and sharing it from...
  5. administrator user changed to standard user

in Windows 10 Customization
    administrator user changed to standard user: I have changed my administrator user to standard user. Know i need to login with admin user. I am using windows 10. There was only administrator user which i have changed to standard user. How can i get back admin user. I also can't open cmd "run as administrator". Showing...
  6. Connecting to a shared printer as a User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting to a shared printer as a User: I have two Windows 10 Pro x64 machines - say, A and B - connected into a home network. Both machines have two interactive user accounts registered on them: Admin (member of Administrators) and Bob (member of Users). On both machines user names are exactly the same and account...
  7. Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7: Hello everyone, I'm having this very annoying issue with samba shares. The server is running on a CentOS 7 distro with samba-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64. My Windows 10 build is 10240. The shares are visible but when I try to connect it waits a while and then gives me this...
  8. Cannot connect to windows 10 share from Windows 7 !?

Cannot connect to windows 10 share from Windows 7 !?: Have a NET SHARE W$=W:\ on Windows 10 Have a NET USE w: L: \\win10pc\w$ on Windows 7 Used to be able to connect and save my backups there etc. This morning, I get status: Unavailable in Windows 7 as reported by NET USE same for all my other shares between the two. Both...
  9. Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share

Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share: Hey folks, I've got an issue that's been bugging me since windows 7. I've got a debian server on my network running samba and plex. I usually add media to it through samba from my windows computers. Only now with my laptop, I'm having a strange issue. Every time I try to...
  10. Windows 10 Preview Won't Ship to Standard Users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Preview Won't Ship to Standard Users: Microsoft yesterday released a brand new tool that allows Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 computers to install Windows 10 Technical Preview automatically via Windows Update, thus making everything faster and easier for those who want to see what's new in the next OS...