Windows 10: Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share

Discus and support Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an issue that has been ongoing. I will use one user as an example, but it is happening with multiple users. We setup a new system with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Artman62, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Artman62 Win User

Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share

I have an issue that has been ongoing.
    I will use one user as an example, but it is happening with multiple users.

We setup a new system with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (latest updates).
    All Windows systems have static IP addresses.
    We are using a domain and not a workgroup.
    Our server is running Red Hat Linux Server with Version 1.5 Samba.
    Our Sonicwall firewall is our DHCP server.
    SMB 1.0 (client, direct, server) is enabled on the Windows system.
    The Windows system has an administrator user (DEXX) and a standard user (JOHN).
    The Linux server has a general admin username and password.
    There is a user setup called JOHN and a folder named JOHN.
    The Red Hat Server has a public folder that all systems are supposed to be able to access to save and read files.

Using the Linux admin user and password, DEXX can connect to public (or anything else).
    All systems can connect to public using the same user/password.

Keep in mind that people who maintain our server do not know Windows.
    The people who maintain our desktops systems do not know Linux.

Here is where the problem lies. JOHN cannot connect to public.
    The first error message says the user does not have permission to connect to the share.
    The second message says that you cannot connect to the same share using multiple usernames/passwords.
    Whether we try to connect using the domain \\DOMAN\Public or the ip address \\192/168\100\120\Public we get the same result.

I have been through this forums and others and tried the various "fixes".
    net user * /d
    enabling SMB 1.0 in Windows 10
    modifying the registry
    enabling network discovery to auto start.
    Just to name a few.

I think the issue is a permission issue in the way the Linux people setup the server.
    NO standard windows user can connect to public.
    Every admin windows user can (using the same admin user/pass - which is stupid!)
    But who wants to have every Windows user an admin user - especially beginners and novices.
    (we already had a user delete an entire folder, losing years of data)

The people who maintain our server refuse to give me the root username/password so I can check myself how the linux users are setup. I am no expert, but I have used Linux in the past and know how to check permissions.

Does anyone have experience with this Server/Client setup that may shed some light on what to look for or try to make this work correctly?

Appreciate the help.

:)

Artman62, Sep 9, 2018

2. Red Hat and Novell being Sued for Patent Infringement

Little known company IP Innovation is attempting to sue both Red Hat and Novell for patent infringement involving Linux. According to the firm, both Red Hat and Novell’s Linux distributions violate patent number 5,072,412 for a “User Interface with Multiple Workspaces for Sharing Display System Objects” – a patent dating back to December 10th 1991 – as well as two other patents. The orginal statement is as follows:
    This is the first ever patent infringement litigation involving Linux.

Source: Groklaw via [H]ard|OCP

Jimmy 2004, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Wile E Win User
    College to teach Linux over windows

I suggest Fedora. It's based on Red Hat, which, from what I've been told, is a very common Distro for businesses.

I wouldn't go with Ubuntu, as it's not quite "normal", as far as linux distros are concerned.

Wile E, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share

Valve: Linux More Viable Than Windows 8 for Gaming

Linux distros are far more versatile - CentOS is a common server OS built for stability - based on (if not I am wrong, Red Hat Enterprise)

Take f.ex. BackTrack - perfect for network security testing (firewall, intrusion etc.)

So my hope is that Valve got this thing right......a nother step in beeing Windows free....*Roll :roll:

VulkanBros, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share

1. Windows 10 Standard User cannot connect to Red Hat Linux Share - Similar Threads - Standard User cannot

2. Windows 10 standard user

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 standard user: I cannot make a standard user for Win 10. Every time I do it does not allow a sign on, it immediately "logs out". If I change the type to administrator there is no problem. I ran scan/chk disk, no problem. No viruses....
  3. Cannot connect to network shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect to network shares: I cannot connect to Windows 10 network shares. There was no problem with any shares until changing the router. Now, some shares can be accessed, by all networked computers. Some shares cannot be accessed by any networked computer. When pointing to the share, the following...
  4. Zoom Screen sharing with Remote user who is on Linux

Zoom Screen sharing with Remote user who is on Linux: Hi folks ZOOM works fine for normal video conferencing whatever system the "remote" user is using, I.E video and audio working 100% on the computers. If I'm on Windows and we enable desktop sharing the remote user can see my screen without a problem -- e.g say I'm typing an...
  5. Cannot connect to shared drive in Windows 10

Cannot connect to shared drive in Windows 10: Hello Today I tried accessing a shared folder I have in my network from my Windows 10 personal computer. I was able to do it last week but now I'm getting username or password error. I'm able to access it from my job Windows 10 laptop. I have tried several how-to...
  6. standard user

in Windows 10 Customization
    standard user: see attachments. when i view my account settings i see that i'm an administrator, but when use control panel/user accounts/change your account type, it seems to think i am already a standard user. the way UAC acts, it seems to think i am an administrator. which is...
  7. RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise server) 8 beta

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise server) 8 beta: Hi folks and especially geeks ! for those that want to try out RHEL 8 beta now -- free but for support you are on your own it's available for public download at https://red.ht/2DmPZbn This is for INTEL/AMD cpu's. CENTOS 8 - the next centos release will be based on this and...
  8. How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?

How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?: I have OpenMediaVault running on an Odroid HC1 with stock Armbian OS. When I store a file on the SMB share on it, it gets the permissions of the default user. How do I connect as me? I have the same username and password on both machines. 123931
  9. Cannot share internet connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot share internet connection: I recently bought a Huawei USB dongle for internet connection using a SIM card. It works quite well, however I also need to share the connection with my other devices. I tried making a hotspot using Command Prompt ("netsh wlan start hostednetwork"), and sharing it from...
  10. Connecting to a shared printer as a User

Connecting to a shared printer as a User: I have two Windows 10 Pro x64 machines - say, A and B - connected into a home network. Both machines have two interactive user accounts registered on them: Admin (member of Administrators) and Bob (member of Users). On both machines user names are exactly the same and account...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows share cannot connect user

2. windows 10 connect to red hat samba share