Windows 10: Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

Discus and support Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have the "CPU Meter" gadget on my Windows 10 desktop. When I shake the mouse to wake the PC up from Standby, the multiple CPU spikes tells me that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AllenChicago, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

I have the "CPU Meter" gadget on my Windows 10 desktop. When I shake the mouse to wake the PC up from Standby, the multiple CPU spikes tells me that the computer was really active all the time. Not in a TRUE standby mode, like it used to be with Windows-7.

Does anyone know what component(s)/processes in our computers remain active and running, even when the machine is in Standby mode? I may just start shutting it down cold from now on, if there's some form of "data gathering" going on. Have always been sort of suspicious of Windows 10, because it was Free. Thanks in advance for any info.

-Allen

:)

AllenChicago, Aug 24, 2016

2. Desktop PC won't go to hybrid sleep

No other recent changes. No error messages.

I ran powercfg /a . It shows hybrid sleep not available. I'm not sure what it would have showed prior to this, but the PC would enter hybrid sleep.

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

An internal system component has disabled this standby state.

Graphics

Standby (S2)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Graphics

Standby (S3)

Graphics

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.

I did see the same problem reported and it shows 10 others have the same problem.

Sleep Mode suddenly not available

Stephen999999, Aug 24, 2016
  3. M Tahami Win User
    Windows 10 sleep mode problem

Help me for God's sake, let me really one time know if I can rely on your help in this community, I have never got any solutions for my problems here!

My laptop keeps going to sleep mode after 5 minutes being in Idle, and I have sat the power options to turn it to sleep mode after 30 minutes, while laptop is connected to the power!. Could it be a hardware problem? I can send it back to repairing center
    again. Please just tell me what the problem is, before it runs out of warranty. I am running Windows 10 now.

This is the answer of the commands you told me :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /A

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Hybrid Sleep

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers

There are no active wake timers in the system.

------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /lastwake

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 0

-------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

HID-kompatibel mus (001)

HID-tastaturenhed

Regards,

SMT

M Tahami, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

Hi, not sure what you mean by the timing of the CPU usage spikes.
    Do you somehow have a record of CPU use while the PC is supposedly in sleep mode?
    You could of course monitor power use...

If there were data collection during sleep that implies power drain, disk activity, and then communication over the internet. Rumours of MS spying are overdone.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
Thema:

Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

1. Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing? - Similar Threads - Standby Really Sleeping

2. Windows 10 really, really, really slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 really, really, really slow!: My son's computer is suddenly incredibly slow, like 4 or 5 mins from a mouse click to a response. I have tried all the "Windows is running slow" fixes, but since I can't open any settings apps, I am really stuck. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, but it won't - I have...
  3. Tile What does 'Uninstall' really mean? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tile What does 'Uninstall' really mean? Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro What does a Tile's 'Uninstall' option really mean? Uninstall the Photoshop Program from the Hard Drive, or Uninstall only the Tile and links to it? Creating a Tile Version1 Snowy Dune Launcher + PinMore Creating a Tile Version2 All Programs>...
  4. What Does UEFI Boot Really Do For My PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What Does UEFI Boot Really Do For My PC: Is there really any advantage to having a UEFI partition on my hard drive if I have a gamer PC, does it increase or decrease boot time, does it increae security or should I just use the normal 2 partition for windows 10 ??? 47210
  5. No standby in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    No standby in Windows 10?: Ever since my first laptop, I've been in the habit of putting it into standby when a leave the computer for more than, say, 20 minutes with the AC adaptor connected. Now that I've installed Window 10 on the laptop that had standby in XP and Win 7, I see that the only options...
  6. Standby in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Standby in Windows 10: Running Surface Pro 4 w/ Windows 10 64 bit. I have done the registry mod for advanced power options but still do not see a standby function. Looking for good ole standby- hibernate seems to make me power cycle the tablet to recover the screen 84035
  7. Ive seen this tweak for gaming and for debug but whats it really do?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ive seen this tweak for gaming and for debug but whats it really do?: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\some.exe\UseLargePages uselargepages would that be virtual memory paging or more to do with ram? 71277
  8. Sleep/standby default timings can't be changed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep/standby default timings can't be changed.: Hello, I saw several threads dealing with sleep/standby problems, but I'd like to pinpoint a specific point: My computer goes to sleep (first display switch-off, then CPU/MB standby) but only according to default timings. If I change the timings, they are used when computer...
  9. Do Insiders Really Need to Download What We Already Have?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do Insiders Really Need to Download What We Already Have?: On the 29th are insiders going to have to download and install basically what we already have all over again? Wouldn't it make more sense for MS to send a small update, much like the "security updates", that tells our systems that it's the "final release"? Besides any...
  10. What do you folks do with your PC??

in Windows 10 Support
    What do you folks do with your PC??: Just started to wonder what do the members of this forum use their PC's for?? I use mine for the following things: 1 Programming in Python and Java.. working on my website(using PHP,CSS,HTML,JavaScript).. 2 Listening to SiriusXm.. 3 Occasionally watch a movie 4 Paying...