Windows 10: Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

Discus and support Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have the "CPU Meter" gadget on my Windows 10 desktop. When I shake the mouse to wake the PC up from Standby, the multiple CPU spikes tells me that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AllenChicago, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

I have the "CPU Meter" gadget on my Windows 10 desktop. When I shake the mouse to wake the PC up from Standby, the multiple CPU spikes tells me that the computer was really active all the time. Not in a TRUE standby mode, like it used to be with Windows-7.

Does anyone know what component(s)/processes in our computers remain active and running, even when the machine is in Standby mode? I may just start shutting it down cold from now on, if there's some form of "data gathering" going on. Have always been sort of suspicious of Windows 10, because it was Free. Thanks in advance for any info.

-Allen

:)

AllenChicago, Aug 24, 2016

2. Desktop PC won't go to hybrid sleep

No other recent changes. No error messages.

I ran powercfg /a . It shows hybrid sleep not available. I'm not sure what it would have showed prior to this, but the PC would enter hybrid sleep.

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

An internal system component has disabled this standby state.

Graphics

Standby (S2)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Graphics

Standby (S3)

Graphics

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.

I did see the same problem reported and it shows 10 others have the same problem.

Sleep Mode suddenly not available

Stephen999999, Aug 24, 2016
  3. M Tahami Win User
    Windows 10 sleep mode problem

Help me for God's sake, let me really one time know if I can rely on your help in this community, I have never got any solutions for my problems here!

My laptop keeps going to sleep mode after 5 minutes being in Idle, and I have sat the power options to turn it to sleep mode after 30 minutes, while laptop is connected to the power!. Could it be a hardware problem? I can send it back to repairing center
    again. Please just tell me what the problem is, before it runs out of warranty. I am running Windows 10 now.

This is the answer of the commands you told me :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /A

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Hybrid Sleep

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers

There are no active wake timers in the system.

------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /lastwake

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 0

-------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

HID-kompatibel mus (001)

HID-tastaturenhed

Regards,

SMT

M Tahami, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

Hi, not sure what you mean by the timing of the CPU usage spikes.
    Do you somehow have a record of CPU use while the PC is supposedly in sleep mode?
    You could of course monitor power use...

If there were data collection during sleep that implies power drain, disk activity, and then communication over the internet. Rumours of MS spying are overdone.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
Thema:

Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing?

1. Windows-10 Standby: PC is not Really Sleeping. What's it Doing? - Similar Threads - Standby Really Sleeping

2. What does the Sleep function do? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does the Sleep function do? Windows 10: I have three commands on my laptop viz Restart, Shutdown and Sleep. After logging on each morning usually around 6am I leave my laptop on until 11pm usually. What does the Sleep command do and what would be the benefits if I used the Sleep command?...
  3. What does the Sleep function do? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the Sleep function do? Windows 10: I have three commands on my laptop viz Restart, Shutdown and Sleep. After logging on each morning usually around 6am I leave my laptop on until 11pm usually. What does the Sleep command do and what would be the benefits if I used the Sleep command?...
  4. What does the Sleep function do? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report

Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report: Hi,I've disabled on one of the laptops all possible sleep settings that it can be. Laptop still goes into sleep at a random times when lid is closed.Sleep report shows ENTER REASON0x101 Transition To SleepWhat is that code or how to find out reason why laptop enters sleep.If...
  6. What is my computer REALLY doing in sleep?

What is my computer REALLY doing in sleep?: When I put my computer to sleep, I find that 5 minutes later it turns off. I looked in control panel power plan and I saw that the hard disk shuts off 5 minutes after my computer sleeps. So I wondered if I should change the setting so my computer could sleep longer. I wonder...
  7. Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC: Greetings, I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby. The old S3 shortcut and variants do not work with modern standby. rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 etc I'm aware of the PlatformAoAcOverride key to...
  8. modern standby problems entering to sleep

modern standby problems entering to sleep: Laptop Dell XPS 7590 Windows 10 2004build. I press the power button, laptop starts going to sleep, then if i was lucky enough when i close the lid after some time laptop stops responding to ping. But in most cases laptop just not going to sleep at all. Then if i look to...
  9. make windows 10 sleep/standby as windows 7's

make windows 10 sleep/standby as windows 7's: Hi all, my windows 10 laptop has all the latest modern features that a "connected" world would want, so this means that when i put it to sleep it won't really go to sleep. I'm looking for a good way to get a standby/sleep behaviour like the one i got on windows 7, so that...
  10. What Does UEFI Boot Really Do For My PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What Does UEFI Boot Really Do For My PC: Is there really any advantage to having a UEFI partition on my hard drive if I have a gamer PC, does it increase or decrease boot time, does it increae security or should I just use the normal 2 partition for windows 10 ??? 47210