Windows 10: Windows 10 START and SEARCH buttons don't work

Discus and support Windows 10 START and SEARCH buttons don't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some reason both my main Windows button and Search buttons don't work. Other buttons on the Task Bar work as usual. Right click on either button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by weybrew, Sep 24, 2016.

1. weybrew Win User

Windows 10 START and SEARCH buttons don't work

For some reason both my main Windows button and Search buttons don't work. Other buttons on the Task Bar work as usual. Right click on either button gives a white-on-black context menu. Anyone have a suggestion, please?

:)

weybrew, Sep 24, 2016
  2. Adil_L Win User

Windows 10 Start button and search don't work

Hi Tigran,

Could you please tell us how did you fix this issue?

Thank you Windows 10 START and SEARCH buttons don't work :)

Adil_L, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Start button and search don't work

Just followed the steps in this video

Tigran Ghasabyan, Sep 24, 2016
  4. Egrupov Win User

Egrupov, Sep 24, 2016
  5. weybrew Win User
    Thanks Eprupov buy couldn't find a solution.

weybrew, Sep 24, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    There are a lot of similar threads here. System repair with an in-place upgrade. Most of them results in the same way.

Of course, first check in Device manager if you have any problems (yellow marks) and try System Restore to an earlier date (before problem occurs).

Post back if you decide to do in-place upgrade (this method leave most of user files intact, but system image is recommended). Macrium reflect free is very often recommended here. It is good practice to make drive backups anyway *Smile

AndreTen, Sep 24, 2016
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    I have to agree that Windows 10 start button becoming unresponsive is strange - I cannot recollect it happening in Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1, but my memory may be faulty.

It certainly happens In Windows 10 for me and currently in build 1607, and has happened in earlier builds too.

Fafhrd, Sep 24, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User

Hi Fafhrd! *Smile How did you resolve it?

AndreTen, Sep 24, 2016
  9. weybrew Win User
    Did a System Reset to 9/15 and things are working again. The reset wrecked my Firefox so I had to do a complete uninstall/reinstall.

weybrew, Sep 25, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Ashamed or proud to say, I haven't bothered, a restart usually brings it back - a clean install will probably fix it.

How do I live without it? For a start there are no apps I need to use. Settings comes from a right-click on the taskbar.

Having spent a lot of time with Windows 8, not using Start there, I keep a desktop toolbar on the taskbar which gives me access to any programs I use that have not already got quick launch items pinned on the taskbar.

To keep things tidy, I hide the icons on the desktop, and in place of Run I keep a shortcut to an elevated command prompt pinned to the taskbar.

If I want to run Paint and Excel, I type mspaint <enter> and Paint opens, then I return to the command console (alt+tab) and type excel <enter> etc.

Fafhrd, Sep 25, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Great. You should save and mark that restore point, or better install Macrium reflect and make system image.
    Glad you solved your problem *Smile

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 START and SEARCH buttons don't work - Similar Threads - START SEARCH buttons

2. Windows start button and search not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start button and search not working.: Windows start button and search not working after updating Windows 11 to 22H2. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-and-search-not-working/22085c48-4e9a-4d45-9123-c7a9c733b729
  3. Windows start button and search not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows start button and search not working.: Windows start button and search not working after updating Windows 11 to 22H2. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-and-search-not-working/22085c48-4e9a-4d45-9123-c7a9c733b729
  4. start button, search button not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start button, search button not working: I updated to the most recent version of windows a couple days back, once my system booted up again the whole task bar vanished it was there but completely blank i resolved the issue by going through command prompt and deleting some of the newest updates. But after that the...
  5. start button, search button not working

start button, search button not working: I updated to the most recent version of windows a couple days back, once my system booted up again the whole task bar vanished it was there but completely blank i resolved the issue by going through command prompt and deleting some of the newest updates. But after that the...
  6. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  7. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  8. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

9. Start button, search and date/time on the taskbar don't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start button, search and date/time on the taskbar don't work: Right now, and for no apparent reason, when I click on the task bar on the start menu, the search function or the date/time, nothing happens.... This first appeared during a background Windows update (I realized later, during reboot, that Windows was updating. I was in a...
  10. start button don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    start button don't work: when i click on the start button, either right or left click, there is absolutelyno kind of response. i cannot get to the control panel, nor turn off the laptop, nor anything else. the stupid thing is only two months old what is wrong with it, other than it being windows...