Windows 10: Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected

Discus and support Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Problem: The taskbar including the Windows symbol and the start menu as well as the search function via the explorer are no longer accessible - the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tom Chicago, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected

Problem:

The taskbar including the Windows symbol and the start menu as well as the search function via the explorer are no longer accessible - the load symbol is always displayed about 2.3 seconds and nothing happens.

Previous actions:

Before the problem occurred, I wanted to delete a Windows.old folder, so I changed the owner from System to Everyone. The problem it was not the C:/Windows.old but the C: drive with the operating system on it.

Purchase a new Windows 10 license and upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10

The following did not help yet:

Restart

Search for Updates

Restart the Explorer

Powershell sfc /scannow

try to overwrite everything on C: the system as owner via Settings->Security->Advanced etc...

:)

Tom Chicago, Aug 22, 2020

2. Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar

I just did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - overall pretty seamless given what could have gone wrong- I was lucky this time. Some minor annoyances , but overall pretty good.

On the task bar search, about an hour ago, I know it was searching the web as I typed in a web address and it took me there....but now, suddenly, its only searching my local machine. I must have inadvertently changed something. that affected this. Where is the setting to get it back to the way it was so I can search the web?.

I know did change my default Edge search engine from Bing to Google...would that have affected the task bar search function?

I also turned Cortana off - did that affect it??

Many thanks.

mediaman09, Aug 22, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected

Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected

1. Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected - Similar Threads - Start bar task

2. Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding: Whenever I try clicking the window start, it won't open, same with the search bar and task bar. I try opening settings and it is also not responding after trying various methods....
  3. Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding: Whenever I try clicking the window start, it won't open, same with the search bar and task bar. I try opening settings and it is also not responding after trying various methods....
  4. Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Search bar in task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar in task bar: Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the option to deactivate suggestions and activate recent open things, I know it's somewhere because I activated it in the past, but after a recent format I can't find it anymore and I am going nuts! : :...
  6. Search bar in task bar

Search bar in task bar: Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the option to deactivate suggestions and activate recent open things, I know it's somewhere because I activated it in the past, but after a recent format I can't find it anymore and I am going nuts! : :...
  7. start button and search bar working on the task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  8. start button and search bar working on the task bar

start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  9. Search bar is not functioning.

in Cortana
    Search bar is not functioning.: Hello!Today I started up my computer with my search bar not working. I would click on it and it would disappear after a couple of seconds. I usually can't type in it and I have tried many fixes such as ending search in task manager, using powershell, restarting explorer,...
  10. Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar: I just did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - overall pretty seamless given what could have gone wrong- I was lucky this time. Some minor annoyances , but overall pretty good. On the task bar search, about an hour ago, I know it was searching the web as I typed in a web...