Windows 10: Windows 10 Start function and settings not launching

Discus and support Windows 10 Start function and settings not launching in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The start icon does not load the menu when clicked, it shows a blue process wheel and nothing else. The search bar next to the start icon also does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kate D 80, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Kate D 80 Win User

Windows 10 Start function and settings not launching

The start icon does not load the menu when clicked, it shows a blue process wheel and nothing else. The search bar next to the start icon also does not work.

In trying to fix the issue I have also found that the settings menu does not load, neither does the notifications.

There are plenty of articles on the internet on ways to fix the start issue and I have tried them all with no luck. I have downloaded Microsoft troubleshooters which cannot identify any issue, scans, re-installed windows and nothing has found the issue or worked.

How can I fix this?

:)

Kate D 80, Jul 19, 2018

2. Settings won't launch

Hello Jen,

If you're having issue launching Settings from Start menu, we highly suggest performing the troubleshooting steps posted by Rohit Siddegowda in this
    thread. Lots of Community user found his suggestions helpful.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Jul 19, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Jul 19, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start function and settings not launching - Similar Threads - Start function settings

2. Windows 11 upgrade - start won't launch, settings won't launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade - start won't launch, settings won't launch: Upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 one week ago. Found that I had sound issues. I tried to check settings but they would not launch. Then noticed the window start menu would not work. Tried to downgrade using a Windows system image made one year ago when the pc was purchased....
  3. Windows 11 upgrade - start won't launch, settings won't launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade - start won't launch, settings won't launch: Upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 one week ago. Found that I had sound issues. I tried to check settings but they would not launch. Then noticed the window start menu would not work. Tried to downgrade using a Windows system image made one year ago when the pc was purchased....
  4. windows 10 settings wont launch

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 settings wont launch: I can't open settings in windows 10 nor can I set up another account. How do I add another user account? Nothing happens when I click on the add user tab. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-settings-wont-launch/e747d3b3-770f-46ca-98f3-4c042ada21b9
  5. keyboard function settings windows 10

keyboard function settings windows 10: How do I access the keyboard function settings in my laptop ? /...
  6. GUI not launching on Windows 10 start

GUI not launching on Windows 10 start: Whenever I launch Windows 10 the GUI does not start up, but the command prompt does. Entering "explorer" into the command prompt then launches the GUI. I believe this to be due to a registry error, as I was recently facing issues with command prompt and so attempted to reset...
  7. Settings will not launch. Windows 10.

Settings will not launch. Windows 10.: Following my last update of Windows 10, I can no longer launch Settings. The app appears for about a second, as if it's in process of opening, and then it just disappears. I see that others have had this issue back in 2015 and 2016 and various fixes were suggested. I've...
  8. Windows 10 Start, settings and other apps will not launch.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Start, settings and other apps will not launch.: After restoring to factory i have limited access to anything. I have tried to go into powershell and reload the appxmanifest with no success. I have tried to download the windows current update and windows doesn't change. I have ran sfc /scannow and restorehealth, didn't...
  9. Settings won't launch in Windows 10

Settings won't launch in Windows 10: Everytime I open Settings in Windows 10 it closes up immediately before I can make any adjustments (does not matter if I reboot). I reloaded a "Settings" from a response to another questions labelled "Settings won't launch or Microsoft Store opens" but I can't find it now....
  10. windows 10 setting not launching

windows 10 setting not launching: windows 10 setting not launching https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-setting-not-launching/91d47773-2826-41fd-9335-dc736608a01f