Windows 10: Windows 10 start menu, desktop files not opening, rpc error

Discus and support Windows 10 start menu, desktop files not opening, rpc error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So a couple of days ago I started my computer and was unable to access my start menu, any file folder on my desktop won't open. I can't even open file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by weswallace, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Windows 10 start menu, desktop files not opening, rpc error

So a couple of days ago I started my computer and was unable to access my start menu, any file folder on my desktop won't open. I can't even open file manager from the task bar. I also keep getting a rpc error. Everything I found online to fix some of the problems I can't do because I don't have access to anything. I can't even do a recovery. And when I f8 into my boot menu I don't have an option for safe mode. I really hope someone can help. I don't want to do a clean install.

:)

weswallace, Jan 20, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 20, 2019
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    Vista - Weird error trying to delete Start Menu item

It's probably just a registry entry - run registry cleaner. Or, try doing this; Open File Explorer, browse to \Windows\Start Menu and you'll see the icons there. Delete from this folder and that should remove it.

If the deleted files is stil in Recycle bin, restore it then go back to start menu and delete the file the normal way.

If you can't find the recycle bin...Right-click on your desktop and choose Personalize,
    click the Change Desktop Icons link in upper left hand corner. In the Desktop Icons Settings window, check the Recycle Bin box and click OK.

Hope that helps.*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Jan 20, 2019
  4. Windows 10 start menu, desktop files not opening, rpc error

Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 start menu, desktop files not opening, rpc error

1. Windows 10 start menu, desktop files not opening, rpc error - Similar Threads - start menu desktop

2. Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open: I am running Win 11 Pro in the most up to date personal use mode no insider code.This is a recent problem coincident with the most recent patch Tuesday updates 3/31/2023 KB5023778 and a OneDrive update. It was not present last week.All the "Explorer is slow" issue resolutions...
  3. Start menu not opening on Windows 10

in Cortana
    Start menu not opening on Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am encountering a problem with the start menu and search bar on my Windows 10 laptop. Symptoms: I cannot open the start menu, neither with the bottom left icon neither with the windows key on my keyboard. When I do any of these two actions, a new process...
  4. Start menu not opening on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not opening on Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am encountering a problem with the start menu and search bar on my Windows 10 laptop. Symptoms: I cannot open the start menu, neither with the bottom left icon neither with the windows key on my keyboard. When I do any of these two actions, a new process...
  5. Start menu not opening on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. RPC Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RPC Error: Hello, I was reading an article on a website, there was a pop-up, I do not remember what I clicked on, and it disappeared. Next, I tried opening my windows explorer, and it gave me an error specifying "RPC Server not available". I was super tensed. I am not sure, but I...
  7. Desktop Tile in Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Tile in Windows 10 Start Menu: I had a tile on my Windows 10 start menu to take me direct to the desktop. It showed a picture of my desktop wallpaper and clicking on this tile took me straight to the desktop. I accidentally deleted this tile and now cannot get it back. If I search for 'desktop' it does...
  8. windows 10 start menu/desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 start menu/desktop: Hi running windows 10. I or my computer some how changed my start menu. Start button/windows key use to show all the tiles/programs I pinned (after hitting windows key or button) and I had the backgrounds I have chosen. Now when I start up computer all tiles are showing...
  9. windows 10 start menu will not open

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 start menu will not open: I receive critical message ( start menu will not open will fix it next time you sign in) but it does not ,I have lost all internet connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-will-not-open/82692eeb-28e1-4e26-8c82-177020a82e03
  10. Windows 10 Start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start menu not opening: Hi all, A rather strange problem. A client came in with a laptop today. On this the Windows Ten start menu is not opening. I had gone through the walkthrough advising an SFC scan, in addition to that I ran the command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth To no avail...