Windows 10: Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty

Discus and support Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I frequently use Windows PowerShell, and this morning when I went to start it by right-clicking on the start menu button and selecting "Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Warp Roxxorz, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty

I frequently use Windows PowerShell, and this morning when I went to start it by right-clicking on the start menu button and selecting "Windows PowerShell", I'm getting an error:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\(this comp)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell\Windows PowerShell.lnk'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Checking the directory C:\Users\(this comp)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, it's completely empty. There's nothing there.

In contrast, the directory C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs does have a bunch of sub-directories, including Windows PowerShell directory with the .lnk file inside it (which works fine).

I do not know what exactly happened. I did try yesterday the Atomic Heart DXR demo, which I then uninstalled. I also tried Nvidia's "Elevator Demo". Could it possibly be that they messed up that start menu directory?

Or could it perhaps be that the first directory above (which the start menu option is referring to) has always been empty, but the link in the start menu has for some reason changed to point to it? (I think there was a Windows update recently, but for the life of me I can't remember if I have tried to start PowerShell between then and now.)

A couple of days ago I did create a Windows restore point before updating the Nvidia display driver. (I have also done so at semi-regular intervals prior to that, usually always before updating said driver.) I did try right-clicking on the Programs directory mentioned above (which is empty) and selecting "Restore previous versions", but it says there are no previous versions. (This might or might not indicate that this directory has always been empty, and that the change has happened to that start menu entry itself. I have no idea.)

I'm a bit at a loss here. I don't know which one of those two scenarios has happened (ie. did something erase the first Programs directory above, or did something (eg. windows update?) change the link in the start menu's right-click menu to point to the wrong directory?) Or is this something else? I also don't know how to fix this. I don't even know how to change the right-click menu of the start menu button.

I am able to launch PowerShell via other methods (such as writing it in the search menu), but this is both inconvenient and a bit worrisome. Something has changed, and I don't know why, nor whether I should be worried about it, nor how to fix it.

:)

Warp Roxxorz, Apr 14, 2019
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty

1. Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty - Similar Threads - start menu folder

2. Documents Folder Suddenly Empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents Folder Suddenly Empty: My Documents folder has seemingly deleted itself, just as if it's contents never existed. They contents have just disappeared overnight.I've tried quite a few solutions, but none have helped in the slightest.I've tried going into the Documents folder and ticking the "Hidden...
  3. Documents Folder Suddenly Empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder Suddenly Empty: My Documents folder has seemingly deleted itself, just as if it's contents never existed. They contents have just disappeared overnight.I've tried quite a few solutions, but none have helped in the slightest.I've tried going into the Documents folder and ticking the "Hidden...
  4. Documents Folder Suddenly Empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start Menu is completely empty.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu is completely empty.: For a while now my start menu has been completely empty I tried DISM and SFC tools but they didn't do anything. I also tried restarting windows explorer and I tried restarting my laptop ALOT. The Task Menu is fine and nothing is wrong with it, the only problem is that the...
  6. Documents folder suddenly empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder suddenly empty: Please excuse my bad English, but I desperately need help with this one. On 8/19/2020 in the evening, my Documents folder is empty, no clues why this is happening.[ATTACH] I searched online and there are only two problems I found so far. 1. The virus or for some...
  7. Windows start menu is empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows start menu is empty: Some time ago I suddenly lost all menu tiles. I can create new tiles but all previous tiles are gone. I've created new ones for the programs I frequently use but nothing for those programs I seldom use. Does anyone know what caused this? Years ago before I retired I seem to...
  8. Documents folder suddenly completly empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder suddenly completly empty: Hello all, Today I turned on my (what I believed to be perfectly functional) PC to discover to my horror that my Documents folder (where I keep everything of value) is completely empty. My SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. 1yr old I believe. What I've tried: 1) Restarting...
  9. Empty menu start

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty menu start: Hello, since I remember i had problem with menu start on W10 - before format and now. after format I didn't seen problem untill i istalled uTorrent. I uninstalled it, restarted PC and it still looks like that. That's how it looks: [img] Unfortunately i forgot to set...
  10. Add Empty Folder to context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Empty Folder to context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Empty Folder to context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Empty Folder context menu in Windows 10 The Empty folder context menu will instantly and permanently delete everything in a folder after a one time Y/N confirmation to prevent emptying the...