Windows 10: Windows 10 start menu has suddenly stopped working

Discus and support Windows 10 start menu has suddenly stopped working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Last night Cortana started popping up by itself. I'd close it down but at seemingly random times it would just pop up with a cortana search for no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dav2020, Aug 24, 2020.

1. dav2020 Win User

Windows 10 start menu has suddenly stopped working

Last night Cortana started popping up by itself. I'd close it down but at seemingly random times it would just pop up with a cortana search for no reason. I tried to take a screen shot and realised the windows key + shift + S shortcut to take a screenshot wasn't working. I tried other windows short cuts like windows + E, windows + D etc and they all worked. I shut down the computer and went to bed. Today when I've turned it on the start menu has completely stopped working. I can't open it with the windows key or the mouse.

I have tried restarting the explorer.exe process

I have tried DISM with the following result

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

then I get this error on the next step

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.19041.329
    Image Version: 10.0.19041.450
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 2
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Every time I would try it would get to exactly 62.3% then freeze for around 15 minutes then suddenly jump to 100% and finish with the above Error: 2

I tried using the media creation tool to make a new ISO and mounted it. Then ran DISM again using the /Source:F:\Sources\install.wim option. Now it gets to exactly the same 62.3%, same as with the online source, only freezes seemingly indefinitely. It's currently been sitting at 62.3% for at least 2 maybe 3 hours.

What else can I check to work out why my start menu won't work?

:)

dav2020, Aug 24, 2020

2. Start Menu suddenly not working

My Start Menu, Edge browser and Action Centre have suddenly stopped working. If I click on the Start Menu I get a “ Critical Error” asking me to signout and sign back in.

I’ve tried various Powershell solutions which didnt work. Even found the Start Menu Troubleshooter tool and that also did not rectify the fault.

I’m on Windows 10 with latest update.

Anyone able to suggest anything? Thanks.

mackem1999, Aug 24, 2020
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, Aug 24, 2020
  4. drpearl Win User

Start menu stopped working in Windows 10

The Start Menu on my copy of Windows 10 stopped working for no apparent reason. I have tried the suggested four steps above. The first three ran. The final one failed to run due to an error. The process did not fix the start menu. My Windows 10 computer
    is disabled and unusable. I need a solution ASAP.

drpearl, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 start menu has suddenly stopped working - Similar Threads - start menu has

2. GPU has suddenly stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPU has suddenly stopped working: This morning I just normally booted my pc without any problem, opened Teams to do some work but then I got BSOD which resulted in BSOD loop. I have managed to fully format my c drive and perform a new clean install of windows. But when I went to install Nvidia drivers I got...
  3. Windows 10 start menu button stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu button stopped working: It suddenly stopped working, the windows key in my Keyboard doesn't do anything either. Is there a way to fix this or should I just wait for a Windows update for it to fix itself? submitted by /u/BenZ_osu [link] [comments]...
  4. Start Menu suddenly not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu suddenly not working: My Start Menu, Edge browser and Action Centre have suddenly stopped working. If I click on the Start Menu I get a “ Critical Error” asking me to signout and sign back in. I’ve tried various Powershell solutions which didnt work. Even found the Start Menu Troubleshooter tool...
  5. OneDrive has suddenly stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive has suddenly stopped working: Have had no problems since buying the computer in 2014 this past week, I suddenly get messages that I am not signed in. When I try, the little wheel just keeps turning and turning. Not allowing me to do anything at all....
  6. Has your Windows 10 Start menu stopped working?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Has your Windows 10 Start menu stopped working?: I'm having an issue with the start menu, task bar, and task manage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working/8485c177-5e08-44b0-8d97-ac3e1adc344c
  7. Start menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu stopped working: The Startmenu stopped loading at startup and/or when depressing window. It use to work fine. New updates are messing up and resetting many of my settings. 82721
  8. Start Menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu stops working?: Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas? 24315
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working: Some help please. Out of the blue my start up menu doesn't open and i can't even click on sear bar nothing happens. I have the latest windows 10 with fall update. I did fall update last week when it downloaded and no problems until now. Weird. Any help please. 97287
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu stop working: Hi I am using Windows 10, and my start menu stop working for me. I have run the following commend in Powershell. sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...