Windows 10: Windows 10 Start menu keeps bugging out

Discus and support Windows 10 Start menu keeps bugging out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all My start menu has recently started to bug out after what seems like a certain amount of time has passed. I have left my PC running idle with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Makenshi, May 1, 2016.

1. Makenshi Win User

Windows 10 Start menu keeps bugging out

Hi all

My start menu has recently started to bug out after what seems like a certain amount of time has passed. I have left my PC running idle with no apps, afk with a game and also afk with an app and after a couple of hours it's always the same.
    Here is a screen shot of my problem. The start menu becomes transparent...

Windows 10 Start menu keeps bugging out [​IMG]

I have tried repairing windows but I keep getting no problems found, I have also run powershell and did the system file checker with no problems found. The only way I can fix this is by using powershell and this command:
    "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"
    This fixes the problem straight away but a few hours later and the problem is back again.
    I have double and triple checked all my drivers, updates and the darkest corners of the internet with no avail.
    Please can someone shed some light and help me as this is driving me to insanity.

Many thanks
    Mak

:)

Makenshi, May 1, 2016
  2. Emily88W Win User

Clicking on programs on Start Menu will not pop up

Original title: Windows 10 Start Menu

Lately I have been having trouble with the Start Menu on Windows 10.

If I click it to access it and the programs I have on the menu, it will not pop up.

I can right click it and another menu will pop up to access certain files, bit not the programs I have on the Start Menu.

The only way I can figure out to get my start menu back is to restart my computer.

Is there a fix to this or is this a bug that Microsoft needs to fix?

Emily88W, May 1, 2016
  3. PJT_Win Win User
    Windows 10 Start Menu Failure

My PC works fine for a few months and the start menu gives another "critical error". Sign out and it will be fixed the message says. Well, if by fixed you mean wiping out but a couple of icons on the start menu that I have put together I suppose it is
    fixed until next time! This time I'm left with just Twitter and Edge. All the stuff I use regularly has once again vanished. I seem to be always able to recover a working PC but lose my organised start menu.

What is the point of a personalised menu if Microsoft bugs keep trashing it and throwing your efforts away? The only way forward for me is to forget the crappy start menu and use the traditional windows... and maybe think about another platform! I have
    a laptop and another desktop specifically for other projects - I am so glad I did not upgrade these to Windows 10.

Perhaps someone at Microsoft can explain why there no proper recovery? Why the **** can't this stupid bug be fixed once and for all?

PJT_Win, May 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, would suggest basics to try to separate OS from installed apps.
    Not seen anything like this reported.

1. Does this happen in Safe Mode?
    If not, then
    2. Does this happen after a clean boot?
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

And have you noticed anything about the time at which this occurs.. for example:
    - at a fixed time in the hour
    - at a fixed time after logon
    etc
    (Thinking - is it related to a scheduled task).

Also, if you can note the exact time at which it occurs, this makes potentially identifying it vs the event log much easier.

Can you also look at your Reliability History (Just type 'reli' in Cortana's search box).
    Inspect the x's etc.. does anything seem likely to relate to the symptom based on the time of these events?

dalchina, May 1, 2016
  5. Makenshi Win User
    Hi dalchina

So here are my findings:
    1: No
    2: Yes

It is not a fixed time as for fixed time after logon it is not always dead on. It is between 2 and 3 hours.

My Reliable History doesn't show anything that relates to the symptoms based on the times.

*Sad

**UPDATE** So I ran the usual :
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

To temp fix it, and within 5mins it happened again. So the 2-3 hour time things has slowly gone out the window(10).

This is so frustrating as up until now I had no problems with Windows 10.

Makenshi, May 2, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, May 2, 2016
  7. Makenshi Win User
    davidhk,

This is a clean install haha! It is about 1 week old. I will do a repair install and hopefully it sorts the problem out!

Thank you.

Makenshi, May 2, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

If you've nothing significant on your PC then better to simply reformat and do a clean install.. activation will be automatic. Do not install anything extra, do not configure anything until sure whether the symptom occurs or not.

If you still have the symptom then, you're basically left with some weird issue related to drivers, I guess.

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  9. Makenshi Win User
    So an update is in order.

I did a clean install and the problem is still there. After a bit more searching the web I found out it is a SLI related driver error. I am currently downloading and going to install Geforce windows 10 driver version 353.30 WHQL.

Makenshi, May 16, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, good thought. I thought SLI was an Nvidia technology for multiple GPU cards- if I vaguely recall correctly- do you have more than one? Or does your card provide multiple GPUs?

dalchina, May 17, 2016
  11. Makenshi Win User
    The driver install didn't work out. Research says others are having the same problem after playing games, also with SLI set ups. And yes I have 2 cards.

Makenshi, May 17, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start menu keeps bugging out - Similar Threads - Start menu keeps

2. Bugged out windows start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugged out windows start menu: - Unable to open my brave browser its somehow stuck in another dimension. I can see the preview but nothing open up. -Random login without password. Just start-up bar and no icon. -Brave Browers and others opening multiped tab at once. 14 tab open. -Happened after new window...
  3. Bugged out windows start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugged out windows start menu: - Unable to open my brave browser its somehow stuck in another dimension. I can see the preview but nothing open up. -Random login without password. Just start-up bar and no icon. -Brave Browers and others opening multiped tab at once. 14 tab open. -Happened after new window...
  4. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bug with the start menu tiles: Hello community,in the image below you can see a bug with the start menu tiles. I can't remove them nor move them around or interact in some way. I just have the context menu with "More-> Deactivate Live-Tiles" if this is the correct translation.How can I fix/remove it?...
  5. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bug with the start menu tiles: Hello community,in the image below you can see a bug with the start menu tiles. I can't remove them nor move them around or interact in some way. I just have the context menu with "More-> Deactivate Live-Tiles" if this is the correct translation.How can I fix/remove it?...
  6. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Start Menu icons bug

Start Menu icons bug: Some Start Menu icons are not appearing correctly [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icons-bug/f6dea444-1359-472e-8d35-a1755154ed4e
  8. Windows start menu bugging out

Windows start menu bugging out: After a while, my pc has started to press random buttons including the up arrow key, and the alt key when I open the windows start menu. I have no idea how this happens and why it is only in the start menu, but I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out!...
  9. Windows Start Menu Bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Start Menu Bug: I've encountered a weird bug that I'm assuming is caused by a new update of Windows 10 as I've never had this issue before. Whenever I open my Windows Start menu, it lags as it appears as well as when it disappears. The animation of it appearing and disappearing seems to be...
  10. Bugged Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Bugged Start Menu: Can anyone help to solve my issue with this start menu [img] 49907