Windows 10: Windows 10 start menu key left click options not working

Discus and support Windows 10 start menu key left click options not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day, good people. My windows 10 left click menu doesn't bring up the menu tray anymore since after I shut down my system using the alt+f4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mogten, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mogten Win User

Windows 10 start menu key left click options not working

Good day, good people. My windows 10 left click menu doesn't bring up the menu tray anymore since after I shut down my system using the alt+f4 combination keys. Likewise, neither the running apps tray nor the network one opens up on left click. I also cannot multitask anymore as I can only open one folder, seeing as the non functionality of the left click options limits my ability to. I've had these exact issues before which forced me to reinstall the OS from scratch. But I can't always install the software as it requires time and some backing up. Please anyone who knows a way around this should help with a guide. Thanks in advance!

:)

mogten, Oct 2, 2015

2. Start menu not working on left click

Hi,

Glad to know that the issue has been fixed. Appreciate your efforts.

Please get back to us with an outcome in case of any issues, we will guide you accordingly.

Nachappa C K, Oct 2, 2015
  3. Start menu not working on left click

Hi Jean,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Do you receive any error message or code?
    • Did you try any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue?
    • Did you run the SFC and DISM?
    If not, you may run the SFC and DISM by following the below link and check if it helps.

SFC: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

DISM: It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Reference: Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Oct 2, 2015
  4. Windows 10 start menu key left click options not working

Hi have you run trouble shooter or tried to do a repair by Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL which will shut it down and restart with a lot of options.
    Why did you press those keys because on my laptop it disables the touch pad and left click
    You could if desktop uninstall mouse from program and features and reinstall it again

hTconeM9user, Oct 2, 2015
  5. mogten Win User
    Thanks for your response, sir. I have trouble shooted and just did the cntrl+alt+del buttons combination, but it's still not working. I pressed the keys on impulse as I have kind of become accustomed to shutting down my system that way for sometime now. Guess I have to stop beginning this moment. It's a laptop. Thanks again, sir.

mogten, Oct 2, 2015
  6. Yes seem like you have corrupted a file if you want to shut down other than start button use the 3 buttons I told you about you can shut down that way and switch users.
    Where it saids switch user create another account and see if problem still there

hTconeM9user, Oct 2, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Alt+F4 is a valid way to shutdown, no different than doing a shutdown from the Start Menu. That should not have caused corruption.

Try running the following from a Elevated Command Prompt, one at a time:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Ztruker, Oct 3, 2015
  8. Windows 10 start menu key left click options not working

Thank you for coming on here and trying to help the guy
    Now you can see what his problem is

hTconeM9user, Oct 3, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you mentioned you have a laptop. Can you be more specific about what's happening please.

1. Has left click on your touchpad stopped working?
    2. Do you have any kind of mouse plugged in, and is left click working or not on that?
    3. If you have not tried an external (USB) mouse, can you please do so and advise the result?

You mentioned you've had this happen before, and had to reinstall.
    Have you heard of disk imaging? This means you have a compressed copy of your disk/partitions which you can restore, provided you have created the disk imaging program's boot disk, even if your PC is unbootable, provided there's no hardware problem, in a fairly short time.

By taking disk images regularly and before major changes, you can get your PC back exactly as it was, and you have a backup as you can copy files from the images.

Macrium reflect and Aomei Backupper (free) are good, e.g.

dalchina, Oct 3, 2015
  10. mogten Win User
    My point exactly. This is the 3rd time I had to reinstall the OS due to same reasons. Thanks for your input. I'll run those should I encounter the sort again, as I have already reinstalled the OS from scratch.
    Thank you, sir. You've been quite helpful, I couldn't say the thanks word enough.
    Both the left and right click fail to work on some instances while they do on others... say, they are mutually exclusive. That is, where the right click works, the left click will fail to and vice versa. No I didnt have a mouse plugged in. Thanks for the response, I really appreciate!

mogten, Oct 4, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    I would suggest trying to eliminate a touchpad problem- beg/buy/borrow a USB mouse and see what happens..

dalchina, Oct 4, 2015
  12. mogten Win User
    Alright. Thanks again. I was hoping to upgrade to the enterprise version from pro to see if it rids of the problem.

mogten, Oct 4, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 4, 2015
  14. dalchina New Member
    Once you have tried a wired mouse, if that works, then have a look at rolling back/reinstalling the mouse driver now we have a clearer description of your problem.

dalchina, Oct 4, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, touchpad driver...

dalchina, Oct 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 start menu key left click options not working - Similar Threads - start menu key

2. Left Click Not Working On Taskbar and Windows Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left Click Not Working On Taskbar and Windows Menu: Recently I have been having issues with not being able to click on anything in the taskbar. I already updated my drivers, used sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restore Health to check for corrupted files and rolling back my computer to before the issue occurred,...
  3. Left Click Not Working On Taskbar and Windows Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left Click Not Working On Taskbar and Windows Menu: Recently I have been having issues with not being able to click on anything in the taskbar. I already updated my drivers, used sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restore Health to check for corrupted files and rolling back my computer to before the issue occurred,...
  4. Left Click Not Working On Taskbar and Windows Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Left click the Start menu and the screen locks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left click the Start menu and the screen locks: Windows 10 21H2, Lenovo 5th gen Yoga 11e. When I left click the Start menu the screen locks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-click-the-start-menu-and-the-screen-locks/867eaa16-4b7b-4f31-a795-e8afe00a5bc5
  6. Left click the Start menu and the screen locks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left click the Start menu and the screen locks: Windows 10 21H2, Lenovo 5th gen Yoga 11e. When I left click the Start menu the screen locks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-click-the-start-menu-and-the-screen-locks/867eaa16-4b7b-4f31-a795-e8afe00a5bc5
  7. Left click the Start menu and the screen locks

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows 10 Tashbar -Start Icon not working with a left click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Tashbar -Start Icon not working with a left click: As of 2 days ago when I left click on the Start Icon at the left side of the Taskbar on the bottom of the desktop nothing happens. If I right click, I get a pop up but not like the left click. How do I restore the function?...
  9. Windows 10 Tashbar -Start Icon not working with a left click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Tashbar -Start Icon not working with a left click: As of 2 days ago when I left click on the Start Icon at the left side of the Taskbar on the bottom of the desktop. If I right click I get a pop up but not like the left click. How do I restore the function?...
  10. Unable to Left-Click on Windows 10 Start Menu, But Right Click Works

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Left-Click on Windows 10 Start Menu, But Right Click Works: I ran the System File Checker as suggested; it detected no problems. I have two PCs with Windows 10. On the one that I upgraded to Windows 10 most recently, I have no problem. On the one that I upgraded about 9 months before that (it is a Samsung laptop), I can only access...