Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load.

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello there,Recently I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my HP Laptop, and just this morning about 3 days in the search bar had no response when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pointlessss, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load.

Hello there,Recently I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my HP Laptop, and just this morning about 3 days in the search bar had no response when clicking on it, same with the start menu. All of my apps were also opening to nothing but a black screen. I factory reset the PC and reinstalled Windows, no dice. I've already performed multiple scans and performed the /restorehealth command and my issues still remain.

:)

Pointlessss, Aug 15, 2021
  2. TristanDC Win User

Windows Start Menu, Apps and Search Bar not working

Hi,

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for about 4 days now on at least 15 different sites.

My Start menu does not work at all. Clicking on it does not yield any results. I am able to right click on the button, but this is only useful for shutting down my machine. I have an average skill with computers so searching for all my .exe files in the
    windows explorer is extremely frustrating. Apart from everything I had on my desktop before the problem occurred, it takes extremely long to find and open files and this doesn't even include my Apps.

I can't use any Apps whatsoever apart from the settings App which I can only access through the language icon on the bottom right of the task bar. The Edge and Store tiles on the task bar can be highlighted, but are blank and are basically invisible when
    I'm not running my cursor over the task bar. It's as if none of my Apps exist. Even when in Apps and features under System in the settings App, the loading bar that says it's determining the size of all my Apps loads forever without any results.

I can't search for anything either. Right clicking on the Start menu and selecting the search option yields no results. Clicking on the search box on the task bar does nothing either.

I have tired all of these options none of which work:

• Restarted windows explorer in the task manager.
    • Ran a system file scan in the command prompt.
    • Entered this within PowerShell:
    • Created a new DWORD (32 bit) StartMenuEnabled entry in the Registry Editor.
    • Restarted my PC numerous times.
    This all started 2 days after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, specifically when I used AVG's PC TuneUp to deactivate startup programs and increase performance. My laptop is pretty old it's a Dell Inspiron and I need to increase performance in order
    to use Adobe packages for my job. Initially I thought this was the problem, but reactivating all the deactivated programs did not solve the problem.

I have not tried resetting my PC and reinstalling Windows because it takes too long, but if there are no other solutions then I might just have to. If anyone has any other solutions for me to try it would be greatly appreciated.

TristanDC, Aug 15, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Start menu not working, nor search bar, jump lists, clock, etc

Test = by trying things, seeing what does and doesn't work now compared to previously, noting anything that seems wrong, having had SFC repair files.

To view your reliability history:

Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load. [​IMG]

To re-register apps- see the Tutorial section:
    Microsoft Edge - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Store - Re-register in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums

To find things in the tutorial section:

Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load. [​IMG]

You can also completely uninstall and reinstall an app if it's not working. (Cortana and Edge and Store excepted).

dalchina, Aug 15, 2021
  4. carolWK Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load.

WINDOWS 10 START MENU and SEARCH STOPPED WORKING - FIXED all -- BUT APPS DISAPPEARED...

• AUG 24, 2015:
    • START MENU and SEARCH stopped working --(AND many items on the task bar disappeared or stopped working). Also the apps were no longer accessible.
    • To fix, I tried all the fixes suggested by MS support that I found in the answers to others with the same problem--but none of it worked.
    • I FIXED THE PROBLEM by using RESTORE ...(YAY!!!)... and restored my system to the state it was in before the last update I had received.
    • It took forever.. (I went to bed and let it run overnight) BUT IT WORKED! EVERYTHING IS WORKING: start menu, search, etc. etc. Everything was back and working except for the APPS... no apps appeared in the start menu and the 'app store' icon was still
      missing from the task bar.
    • After all was restored, I did a Windows 10 UPDATE, to get back the updates that were removed when i did a system restore--everything worked out fine!
    • HOWEVER, all the APPS were still missing
      from the start menu and the MS APP STORE icon is still missing from the task bar.
    • BUT I am able to add apps back to the computer (and to the start menu) one by one.
    • ...... Anyone know of a way to restore all the apps to my computer and restore the "Store" icon back to my task bar?

carolWK, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load.

1. Windows 10 Start Menu not working, Search Bar not working, and apps will not load. - Similar Threads - Start Menu working

2. Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working: My Start Menu and Windows Search bar are not opening up on my Windows 11 HP laptop. I have already tried resetting the device, checking for updates, restarting Windows Explorer, and updating the driver. Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. Please help me with this problem....
  3. Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working: My Start Menu and Windows Search bar are not opening up on my Windows 11 HP laptop. I have already tried resetting the device, checking for updates, restarting Windows Explorer, and updating the driver. Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. Please help me with this problem....
  4. My search bar and start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My search bar and start menu not working.: My Search and Start Menu not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-search-bar-and-start-menu-not-working/145bb92f-194e-48b4-8cf1-bb8560e32f9e
  5. My search bar and start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My search bar and start menu not working.: My Search and Start Menu not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-search-bar-and-start-menu-not-working/145bb92f-194e-48b4-8cf1-bb8560e32f9e
  6. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  7. start menu search bar not working

start menu search bar not working: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or any app it just keep reloading and...
  8. Start menu and search bar not working

Start menu and search bar not working: When I click on start menu or search bar nothing happen's, this is the same when I try to use the windows button to open the start menu but it works for other things such as windows + L to lock the screen. This the same across all account's on my computer even if I create new...
  9. Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working: I'm on 1903. I can't even update to 1909 because settings app doesn't work, neither does the XBox one, nothing. Any know ways to fix this submitted by /u/megajackdark [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows start menu and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu and search bar not working: Yesterday I updated a pc to windows 10 version 1909 and applied all the recent updates. After this, when I tried to open the start menu or use the search bar nothing would work. Even the windows key did nothing. Not knowing if this was a standalone fault I updated another pc...