Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, I am running Windows 10 and when I click the start menu, I only want the search bar to return results for the files and software on my computer.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by DK5050, May 14, 2019.

1. DK5050 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files

Hello, I am running Windows 10 and when I click the start menu, I only want the search bar to return results for the files and software on my computer. I do not want to see any garbage on the Windows Store and I do NOT want "suggestions" of garbage on the Internet.

I have followed every instruction I can find and nothing works. Cortana does NOT show any possible setting to disable "suggestions". There is also no option to stop searching the Windows Store.

Did Microsoft disable these settings? Why? Why is this so bad? A team of inbred monkeys could create something better than this. Do you actually realize how incredibly stupid this is?

Someone help me for the love of god. Every single day I find another thing on this goddamn operating system that just infuriates me. The calculator app took up half the screen. Cortana won't stop using BING, the world's worst search engine. Windows Photos App is the worst software in the world because it takes 10 SECONDS to open and view a single picture. Skype is permanently open and cannot be closed without signing you out, thus making it actual bloatware. How awful can you be? Everything you touch is cancer. Get a goddamn clue idiots.

:)

DK5050, May 14, 2019

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, May 14, 2019
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, May 14, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files

Searching (from the Start menu) only finds some of my files

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching files from the Start menu.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Step 1: Run the Performance troubleshooter.

Performance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the
      Search
      box and hit Enter.

• Select “System Maintenance” from the
      Troubleshooter window.

• Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    restart Windows Search service.

Windows Search service provides content indexing, property caching and search results for files, e-mails and other contents.

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Search and select Start.

• Also, right-click
      and select Properties for
      Windows Search and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files

1. Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Search in start menu

in Cortana
    Search in start menu: Hi. I have recently switched from my windows 10 PC to my windows 10 laptop. I don't know of any software differences, so I do not know what may be the cause. When using my windows pc, I often quickly open the start menu to search something up by just starting to type in the...
  3. Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer: Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer. In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to insert 1...
  4. Windows 10 - Start menu search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Start menu search: When I search for a folder by typing the name in the start menu, how can I then go to a subfolder without having to open the folder, e.g. I am trying to get to the following file documents/pictures/holidays/summer holiday 2018. I know I can just type on summer holidays...
  5. Windows 10 start menu search programs only

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu search programs only: When you open the start menu, is there a way that when you start typing, it displays only programs installed starting with those letters? Or at least show more than just the top 3 options? In windows 8.1 you could have just your programs displayed, and typing would only...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search: Hi, Search in Windows new start menu is annoying, each time web search using bing results are also shown, which is really unwanted. Using :: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search We can enable the following 3 options to disable...
  7. windows start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    windows start menu search: i can't seem to see that windows finds simple "apps"\(programs)" like the blizzard app, twitch app etc... is there some setting that enables me to do this? so far i narrowed it down to the indexing of files. maybe that'll do something. every time i search for "twitch"...
  8. Automatically search files in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically search files in start menu: In Windows 7 I type xxxx.txt and it searches the file in the indexed files. In Windows 10 I have to type Find in Documents. How do I make it searches in my files without clicking a second time ? 9159
  9. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...