Windows 10: Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users

Discus and support Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 has been brimming with ads designed to persuade you into using Microsoft service or Store apps. Microsoft also advertises or suggests apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 8, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users

Windows 10 has been brimming with ads designed to persuade you into using Microsoft service or Store apps. Microsoft also advertises or suggests apps and services to users via the Windows 10’s Start menu. By default, Start menu has a “Suggested” listings for Windows Store apps and services that you don’t actually own.

Microsoft has now started to show text ad for its new Chromium-based Edge in the all apps list. The ad, which shows up under ‘Suggested’ listing for Start menu, recommends using the new version of Microsoft Edge.

Surprisingly, the ad is targeting Firefox users. If you have Firefox as your default browser, you might see the advertisement or suggestion in the Start menu. Depending on whether you’re actively using Firefox or other browsers, the recommendation may or may not show up.

“Still using Firefox? Microsoft Edge is here,” the ad label reads and it includes a link to download Chromium-based browser.

Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users Microsoft-Edge-ad.jpg

It also appears that the ad recommending Microsoft Edge continue showing in the Start menu even if you’ve already installed it.

Fortunately, Windows 10’s ad pushing can be disabled with a few system tweaks and it’s worth modifying the settings if you don’t want to see them.

To disable such ads in the Start menu, right-click the ad when you see it and select “Turn off all suggestions” option in the context menu. You can also open Settings and navigate to Personalization > Start, and disable the following option:

• Occasionally show suggestions in Start.

Showing ads in apps or OS is not something new. Like Microsoft, Google also advertises Chrome when you browse its search engine results in non-Google browsers such as Firefox, Edge or Opera.

The post Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 8, 2020

2. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Jay Jap Win User
    Edge disappeared and start menu not working on Windows 10

Hello Richard,

We need to do further investigation on your concern so that we can isolate the issue regarding Microsoft Edge and Start menu:

• Have you tried to searching in Cortana search to check if Edge can be located?
    • Besides powershell, what other troubleshooting steps have you performed?

In the meantime, you can download and run the
    Windows apps troubleshooter to isolate the issue on Edge.

We also suggest that you download and run the
    Start Menu troubleshooter to fix common Start menu issues.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Feb 8, 2020
  4. scevism Win User

scevism, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users - Similar Threads - Start menu recommends

2. Windows 11 Start menu recommended section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start menu recommended section: I have recently upgraded to windows 11, one issues is there isn't enough space for all the apps I want pinned without scrolling.Half of the space is taken up by the "Recommend" section, I managed to turn all the things off that were showing there, but cannot find how to hide...
  3. Edge recommendations in the start menu. How is this acceptable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge recommendations in the start menu. How is this acceptable?: I know Microsoft really wants people to use Edge, but at the cost of their consumers workflow?I open this softwareEnterpriseIQ about 20 times a day. Why do I still get Microsoft Edge as the top hit even after typing in 5 characters of my software. Any solution to get rid of...
  4. Edge recommendations in the start menu. How is this acceptable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge recommendations in the start menu. How is this acceptable?: I know Microsoft really wants people to use Edge, but at the cost of their consumers workflow?I open this softwareEnterpriseIQ about 20 times a day. Why do I still get Microsoft Edge as the top hit even after typing in 5 characters of my software. Any solution to get rid of...
  5. Edge recommendations in the start menu. How is this acceptable?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...
  7. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...
  8. Edge is catching Firefox User's eye

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is catching Firefox User's eye: Just offering some feedback to y'all about Edge vs. Firefox Quantum. I have a Lenovo Flex 14 that committed 2GBs of 8GBs of RAM to a GPU. This model didn't exist long and get replaced by a 12GB model so that you didn't have to be me with only 6. Luckily that laptop isn't my...
  9. remove Edge from Start menu recommendation?

in Windows 10 Support
    remove Edge from Start menu recommendation?: [img] is there any way to make it so this doesn't show up anymore? All I could find to remove it involved it being pre-installed/download, but after the last update Edge was forcibly installed. I tried the "pre-install/download" solutions, but those didn't work. Any help...
  10. Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox: Hi, I'm used to starting Firefox by hitting the Windows key, typing Firefox and pressing Enter. It worked like this since years, and is quicker than searching for Firefox on the desktop, on the start menu or trying to click on an icon in the task bar. But now, each time I do...