Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu Search - Hiding valid results for no reason

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu Search - Hiding valid results for no reason in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I stop Windows 10 from hiding certain items from me when I search my start menu? For example, I work at an IT company and 99% of our clients... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by James D Australia, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Start Menu Search - Hiding valid results for no reason

How do I stop Windows 10 from hiding certain items from me when I search my start menu?

For example, I work at an IT company and 99% of our clients have an SQL server installed. If I connect to a machine with the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio installed, this program will NEVER show up in any form of search via the start menu.

Search for 'SQL' and 0 apps are found. I can scroll down the app list and manually select and run the app, but it NEVER shows up if you search.

Ive tested this on dozens of machines and every single one refuses to list anything from the SQL install in the search results.

How do I disable this so I get an accurate list of results?

:)

James D Australia, Feb 18, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Feb 18, 2019
  3. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Windows 10 Start Menu Search - Hiding valid results for no reason a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Feb 18, 2019
  4. JS563 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Search - Hiding valid results for no reason

Hide 'All Apps' in Start Menu

Nyima,

Thank you for your prompt reply, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option to hide the All Apps column in the settings menu you referenced. Is there another way to hide this annoying list of applications?

Thanks!

JS563, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Start Menu Search - Hiding valid results for no reason

1. Windows 10 Start Menu Search - Hiding valid results for no reason - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  3. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  4. windows start menu search web results

in Cortana
  5. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  6. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  7. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  8. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  9. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

in Cortana
    Start Menu not showing search results for documents: Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating. Why is this? I rebuilt...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results: When I go to search something like "photoshop" Adobe Photoshop CC should pop up. But I only get results from searching on Bing and not from searching the computer locally. 17229