Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I go to search something like "photoshop" Adobe Photoshop CC should pop up. But I only get results from searching on Bing and not from searching... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ThePie, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ThePie Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results

When I go to search something like "photoshop" Adobe Photoshop CC should pop up. But I only get results from searching on Bing and not from searching the computer locally.

:)

ThePie, Aug 17, 2015

2. Start menu search barely usable

I just upgraded 2 PCs to Windows 10 (fresh installation) and Start Menu search performs abysmally. When I hit Windows key and type "display" I'm getting 2 results, but selecting any of them opens Settings dialog with "no results for display" message. What
    is going on? Additionally, Start Menu search finds only a fraction of installed programs.

The only system settings changes after the installation were disabling file contents indexing, turning Cortana and "search online and include web results" options off.

PaulJurczak, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Start menu search barely usable

This is a bug. Here is how to reproduce it:

1. Fresh install Windows 10 Home or Professional, 32 or 64 bit.

2. Use custom setup and turn off all features.

3. No Microsoft account sign up.

4. Turn start menu "Search online and include web results" off.

At this point start menu search works fine, e.g. searching for "Display" or "Device" returns results, which open proper dialogs when clicked on.

5. Go to "Local Disk (CWindows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results :) Properties", uncheck "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed..." and Apply.

Now the start menu search is broken, e.g. searching for "Display" or "Device" returns results, which open empty Settings dialog when clicked on.

What is going on here?

PaulJurczak, Aug 17, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

That is the nature of Windows Search or Cortana as it is now. How to Disable Bing in the Windows 10 Start Menu

bro67, Aug 17, 2015
  5. ThePie Win User
    ThePie, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Not true, both search & Cortana work as they should for me, before and after doing an in-place upgrade earlier today.

For instance, below I just have to type "go" and I get Google Earth as the top result (don't have Photoshop):

Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Aug 17, 2015
  7. ThePie Win User
    Here is another example.

Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results [​IMG]

ThePie, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results

i have the same problem a lot of application and windows settings like control panel not showing in the search

Mahmoud Elfar, Aug 18, 2015
  9. My search bar sometimes produces literally no results (remains black screen with scrolling blue dots.) The only solution to fixing that was to end Cortana.exe and wait for it to respawn by itself.

zerogravity, Aug 18, 2015
  10. I suggest you do an in-place upgrade (repair), it has fixed every issue I was having with a clean install. The installer (Media Creation Tool) will update before installing, creating a more stable install than the original from July 29th. Others having issues with Win 10, you may consider doing the same; you will be able to keep all your files and apps/programs if you choose (don't forget to uninstall any third party a/v beforehand).

fracking4oil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Search results from USB drive not displayed within the Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search results from USB drive not displayed within the Start menu: Hello, I have a quick question about Windows search, specifically about Windows search when you use the Start menu i.e. just press the Windows key and then type in the search term or Windows + S which opens the Windows search window . In my experience, this is a quick way to...
  3. Search results from USB drive not displayed within the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search results from USB drive not displayed within the Start menu: Hello, I have a quick question about Windows search, specifically about Windows search when you use the Start menu i.e. just press the Windows key and then type in the search term or Windows + S which opens the Windows search window . In my experience, this is a quick way to...
  4. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  5. windows start menu search web results

windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  6. windows start menu search web results

in Cortana
  7. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  8. Tweak start menu search results

Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu Issues - No Results Display

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Start Menu Issues - No Results Display: Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of help and hopefully someone here will know how to fix this. Since this could be both search or start menu, I have put it into the former. Whenever I attempt to search for something in the start menu I get the result screen but there is never...
  10. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...