Windows 10: Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work...

Discus and support Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So the 29th of July i went ahead and installed the Windows 10 update. It installed correctly and ran smooth without any problems for a few hours.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ssx705, Jul 30, 2015.

1. ssx705 Win User

Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work...

So the 29th of July i went ahead and installed the Windows 10 update. It installed correctly and ran smooth without any problems for a few hours. Suddenly i realized that my Start Menu button didn't open the start menu when i clicked it. Neither did the search button.

I didn't really think about it much and continued gaming with one of my friends. Later that night i tried to restart my pc to see if that fixed any of my issues. Unfortunately nothing was fixed.

Now i can't open any microsoft apps (other than the Health and training app through the Task Manager and then the apps tab). Theres no way to access the settings or Windows Update so im stuck with just using non-microsoft apps if i can find them that is under my HDD.

(Edit) I can't rightclick anything in the taskbar or manage my internet connection.

Any help to fix this is highly appriciated.

Methods i have tried found around the internet:

Using the
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} command in Windows PowerShell as admin.

Running this troubleshooter from this link

Neither of them fixed anything.

:)

ssx705, Jul 30, 2015

2. Recent windows upgrade broke my system(Almost).

So many things are not working after updating my windows 10 yesterday. Microsoft edge keep crashing. Chrome doesn't work. All apps run slowly. Cortana doesn't open. Search in start menu doesn't work. Some time start menu doesn't open.

Brijesh SB, Jul 30, 2015
  3. val tadeo Win User
    WINDOWS 10 START MENU NOT WORKING

After installing windows 10 final build version start menu doesn't work, search bar and some apps class not registered.

val tadeo, Jul 30, 2015
  4. jbradly Win User

Similar problem only I could not get Windows installed apps to open properly. I have a Lenovo G560 with a Dynadock plugged into a USB port and two additional monitors connected to the laptop (one directly and one through the Dynadock. In anticipation of installing Win 10, I upgrade my RAM and replaced my hdd with an SSD drive. I am upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium. I did the upgrade and not a clean install. The upgrade seemed to go just fine. The first thing I noticed was and Notices icon so I clicked on it and some notices appeared. I tried to click on those but as soon as I moved the mouse off of the notices icon the list disappeared. The same thing happened when I went to Start. I rebooted the computer and the above problems went away. So I began exploring around the Start Menu. I got cortana to recognize Hey Cortana and she even told me a joke. When I asked her to play Rock Paper Scissors, she started having problems. Again I rebooted, and she could tell a joke but no RPS. Then I asked her to open MS Edge but that did not work. Tried myself by clicking on the E icon and I got an error message saying it could not find Internet Explorer.exe. Went to Start Menu and tried to start Edge. It looked like it was going to but nothing appeared. I went to Task Manager and there it was running so I ended the process and tried again. No joy. Again reboot. First thing was to open Edge from Start Menu. That worked-- it opened. Tried to go to settings in the Start Menu but it acted like Edge above. It was running in Task Manager but not visible to me. Chrome, Lync, Word, Outlook, all worked. Cortana worked but when I tried other apps like Calculator, they did not work. My keyboard has a calculator launch button and that did not work either. I did notice that the apps that appeared not to work actually were running but closing them in Task Manager did not help. I could get the app to work if I rebooted and clicked on the app first before anything else. After about 2 hours of rebooting only to not have apps work and not really able to see what Win 10 could do, I restored Windows 7.

jbradly, Jul 30, 2015
  5. ssx705 Win User
    Yeah im kinda stuck with just the desktop and folders to find my programs. Unfortunately i can't access the setting so no rollback to Windows 8.1 for me *Sad

ssx705, Jul 30, 2015
  6. jbradly Win User
    I read somewhere about using a Super Shell script to fix some type of registration access that might help with some of the apps. Unfortunately, I read it about 2 AM so I don't remember where I found it. It worked for some but not others.

jbradly, Jul 30, 2015
  7. ssx705 Win User
    Yeah thats the command i left in the buttom of the original thread.

ssx705, Jul 31, 2015
  8. jbradly Win User

If you find any information that will fix this, let me know.

jbradly, Aug 1, 2015
  9. chillyb Win User
    I've found switching to another desktop, it'll work, until multiple apps are running, then stops on that desktop also. So, rebooting is only thing that get's it working again. (as usual)

Hopefully next weeks updates will address these issues we all seem to be encountering.

chillyb, Aug 1, 2015
  10. ssx705 Win User
    (EDIT: Non useful information)

ssx705, Aug 1, 2015
  11. ssx705 Win User
    Stil stuck with a nonfuncional Start Menu, Search, Settings (or any metro apps for that matter), Internet Connection in the taskbar and message tab or whatever its called in english.

Any help will be highly appriciated.

ssx705, Aug 1, 2015
  12. ssx705 Win User
    Looks like i have found somewhat of an solution. In the Controlpanel there are some troubleshootings that seemed to fix it.

ssx705, Aug 2, 2015
  13. picneec13 Win User

What were they?? Having the same issue.

picneec13, Aug 3, 2015
  14. jbradly Win User
    An update. I have determined that the aforementioned problems are directly linked to Displaylink. These are the drivers that run my second monitor. I have my laptop monitor, a second monitor directly connected to the VGA port on the laptop, and a 3rd monitor connected to the Dynadock which is connected to the computer via USB. The 3 monitors worked perfectly in Windows 7 and again in Windows 10. However in Win 10, the drivers (displaylink) for the 3rd monitor cause the explorer.exe issue and the windows apps to not work. I can remove the drivers and disconnect the Dynadock and Windows 10 works fine. I can remove the drivers and leave the dynadock connected and Windows 10 works fine but restarting it causes Windows to want to auto install the drivers all the time. Also since my headphones are connected to the Dynadock, they don't work. What does work is my bluetooth connector for my mouse and keyboard and my printer. So technically the drivers work but they just interfere with the operating system.

jbradly, Aug 10, 2015
  15. ymzkala Win User
    I am having a similar problem. I am using an hp 3005pr USB 3.0 port replicator with a samsung B2240W external monitor on my laptop. After a while, my start menu and Metro/Modern apps stopped opening. I also couldn't access certain settings in user accounts. No error message, they just don't open. The problem even occurs now after I disconnect from the port replicator.

I went through a whole list of fixes. A lot of people have this issue for different reasons (Dropbox, antivirus software, etc). I don't get the 'critical error' message like others do. The only solution that seems to work consistently (but the problem returns after a reboot) is running this in the command prompt: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I need a lasting solution. I tried to uninstall my display drivers but it doesn't change anything. Is there a way I can clean up whatever this port replicator did to my laptop?

ymzkala, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps: Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps.When I type in the name of software that I know I have on my PC or I type in any Windows features, nothing happens...
  3. Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps: Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps.When I type in the name of software that I know I have on my PC or I type in any Windows features, nothing happens...
  4. Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work: Hi,Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work as can be seen in the image below:Any advice will be appreciated.Regards, Jose luis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-for-apps-in-start-menu-doesnt-work/fbf8109f-6d03-47a4-a980-be3f38b6a81e
  5. Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work

Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work: Hi,Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work as can be seen in the image below:Any advice will be appreciated.Regards, Jose luis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-for-apps-in-start-menu-doesnt-work/fbf8109f-6d03-47a4-a980-be3f38b6a81e
  6. Start menu search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search doesn't work: Hi,I'm using windows 11 21H1 with the latest updates I received, but lately, my laptop is behaving strangely when I try to search using the start menu it closes the start menu by it self. I haven't installed any new software or changed anything in the settings or registry it...
  7. Start menu search doesn't work

Start menu search doesn't work: Hi,I'm using windows 11 21H1 with the latest updates I received, but lately, my laptop is behaving strangely when I try to search using the start menu it closes the start menu by it self. I haven't installed any new software or changed anything in the settings or registry it...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working: I got the problem yesterday. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft App not working when clicked.Also Email ,Microsoft Edge and all Microsoft apps disappear from task bar.I'm trying all method such as Restart Windows Explorer ,sfc scan ,cleanboot ,reset start...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working: I got the problem yesterday. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft App not working when clicked.Also Email ,Microsoft Edge and all Microsoft apps disappear from task bar.I'm trying all method such as Restart Windows Explorer ,sfc scan ,cleanboot ,reset start...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working