Windows 10: Windows 10 start menu search programs only

Discus and support Windows 10 start menu search programs only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When you open the start menu, is there a way that when you start typing, it displays only programs installed starting with those letters? Or at least... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by astro10, Dec 11, 2015.

1. astro10 Win User

Windows 10 start menu search programs only

When you open the start menu, is there a way that when you start typing, it displays only programs installed starting with those letters? Or at least show more than just the top 3 options?

In windows 8.1 you could have just your programs displayed, and typing would only search through those. (maybe there is also an extension to bring that back?)

:)

astro10, Dec 11, 2015
  2. maliakkas Win User

Search on start menu, only searches for localized program names

I am using Greek Windows 10, upgraded from windows 7, and windows 8.1

All old versions were also in Greek.

In older version I used to press the start button, start typing i.e "calc" and the calculator program was showing in the results, with its Greek name.

Also, all English names of the localized apps were able to be found when I started typing their English name.

Now I can only find the apps using their Greek name.

Is it possible to get that functionality back?

Thank you for your time

maliakkas, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Search on start menu, only searches for localized program names

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can. Before that let me ask few questions so that I can assist you better.

• Have you made any other changes to the computer prior to the issue?

• Did you change the keyboard, regional and language settings to Greek?
    I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall one app and check if the issue persists.

Step 1: Follow the steps to uninstall app.

a. Right click the app that you want to uninstall.

b. Click on Uninstall in the task bar.

c. Then click on Uninstall button.

Note: Once you uninstall Messaging apps all these apps will get uninstall automatically Mail, Calendar, People and Messaging once you install any one app in Mail, Calendar, People and Messaging all four will install automatically.

Step 2: Follow the steps to reinstall App

a. Click on Store.

b. Search for the app that you are looking for and click on the app and install it.

Hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Dec 11, 2015
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I don't know of a way to search by first letter only. The parameter in File Explorer would be something like program:~<p (with p being the first letter in this example), but that doesn't work in the Start Menu.

Click on 'Apps' to display more search results for installed programs, then 'See All' on the top-right if required. Indexing needs to be on.

Alternatively you can click 'Search My Stuff' at the bottom, then select 'Apps'.

Windows 10 start menu search programs only [​IMG]

ARC1020, Dec 11, 2015
  5. DavidE Win User
    DavidE, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 start menu search programs only - Similar Threads - start menu search

2. Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs: Hi all, I have removed all unnecessary apps, etc from the Start Menu list - however there are Folders, for example, "Ease of Access" --- where once removed from the Start Menu folder list %appdata/programdata% --- the applications within the folder no longer work when calling...
  3. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  4. Windows 10 Search Indexing does not search my Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search Indexing does not search my Start Menu Programs: So as the title says my Windows Search doesn't search through my start menu programs. This issue started yesterday out of nowhere. Recent changes I've done to my laptop recently are: - Formatted my laptop (1 week ago) - Ran every script in GitHub -...
  5. Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs: I've been having an issue for a while where the Win 10 Start Menu Search is not finding many of the program I have installed, it will find some but many are missing. I can scroll down on the Start menu and find the "missing" programs but if I use search(press start menu and...
  6. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  7. Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Start Menu Only Want to Search Computer Files: Hello, I am running Windows 10 and when I click the start menu, I only want the search bar to return results for the files and software on my computer. I do not want to see any garbage on the Windows Store and I do NOT want "suggestions" of garbage on the Internet. I have...
  8. Toolbar "programs only" start menu for Windows 10 on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Toolbar "programs only" start menu for Windows 10 on taskbar?: Does anybody have a list of Windows 10 shell folder ids? I would like to make one of those toolbar "programs" only menus on the taskbar. The original one Brink showed for Win8, which was great, by the way, does not work the same anymore. In Windows 10, it now has...
  9. Still no program search support in Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no program search support in Start menu search: I'm still having to use Stardock Start10 to use the keyboard to find non-store-app programs. Whenever I use the native Start menu and use the keyboard to enter the non-store-app program name it only finds useless hits among documents and junk (I have Bing disabled otherwise...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Bar Not Showing Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Bar Not Showing Programs: I have been having a problem with my start menu in Windows 10! When I search up a program like "Paint" or "Photoshop" it does not show up! However, built-in apps such as "Settings" and "Edge" show up! I have tried rebuilding the search index with no luck so far! I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu search only